Kitten stopped eating, drinking, and playing

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fostered lots of baby kittens, bottle fed, raised, and found homes for them. I decided to keep one recently that I guessed to be about 3 months old, I've had him for a week and half, super loving, playful, would wake me up early in the morning by laying on my head and purring...last night he was throwing up, more liquid than anything solid. This morning he didn't wake me up, he was just sleepy, I tried to feed him and he wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, and wouldn't play with his toys like usual. He just kept curling up and sleeping. He's been very lethargic all day and I could only entice him to eat canned food and drink water that I mixed with the gravy from the canned food (I even offered him goat milk and chicken broth that he wouldn't touch). He hasn't thrown up today, his poops are solid, and he's still going potty, using his litter box...any ideas what could be wrong with him?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As a curious kitten, he could have gotten into anything that has caused this. I think I Vet visit may be required because as you know, kttens. can go downhill very rapidly. At least you have been able to get some wet food and water into him to keep him from dehydrating. Take a careful look around your house and see if you can try to determine if there is anything he might have gotten into (under a sink perhaps). Or if you take any medications, is it possible he got hold of one and ate it? Any strings or that type of thing he could have eaten? Anything at all. Think about what he usually gets into. Even things you might have thrown in the trash he might have gotten into. then discuss these things with your Vet.

Keep us posted :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As a curious kitten, he could have gotten into anything that has caused this. I think I Vet visit may be required because as you know, kttens. can go downhill very rapidly. At least you have been able to get some wet food and water into him to keep him from dehydrating. Take a careful look around your house and see if you can try to determine if there is anything he might have gotten into (under a sink perhaps). Or if you take any medications, is it possible he got hold of one and ate it? Any strings or that type of thing he could have eaten? Anything at all. Think about what he usually gets into. Even things you might have thrown in the trash he might have gotten into. then discuss these things with your Vet.

Keep us posted :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Will do! I can't think of or see anything he could have gotten in to, but kittens are sneaky sometimes! If he isn't doing better by tomorrow morning, the vet is where we will be by afternoon!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he had all his shots? Could he have picked up something- a virus?

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has he had all his shots? Could he have picked up something- a virus?
He hasn't had shots that I know of, we found him outside on a hot day and brought him in about a week and a half ago. I had planned on getting his shots this week but will wait until he sees the vet first, see what they recommend

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fostered lots of baby kittens, bottle fed, raised, and found homes for them. I decided to keep one recently that I guessed to be about 3 months old, I've had him for a week and half, super loving, playful, would wake me up early in the morning by laying on my head and purring...last night he was throwing up, more liquid than anything solid. This morning he didn't wake me up, he was just sleepy, I tried to feed him and he wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink, and wouldn't play with his toys like usual. He just kept curling up and sleeping. He's been very lethargic all day and I could only entice him to eat canned food and drink water that I mixed with the gravy from the canned food (I even offered him goat milk and chicken broth that he wouldn't touch). He hasn't thrown up today, his poops are solid, and he's still going potty, using his litter box...any ideas what could be wrong with him?

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took the little guy to the vet today and his blood work came back ok, negative on feline leukemia too...turns out he's got a tummy full of worms! He has a slight fever so the vet sent him home with antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds along with deworming him. So thankful it's something that can be treated easily!

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took the little guy to the vet today and his blood work came back ok, negative on feline leukemia too...turns out he's got a tummy full of worms! He has a slight fever so the vet sent him home with antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds along with deworming him. So thankful it's something that can be treated easily!
He's already starting to show signs of feeling better, walking around more and interested in his new cat condo/tree/scratching post thing

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh poor guy! Is that him, the orange kitty in your avatar photo? (he is gorgeous if so!) I'm so glad you found out what was wrong and he is feeling better! <3 Thanks for taking him him and looking after him.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One of those times when you heave a great sigh and say, "OH THANK GOODNESS IT'S WORMS!" Glad it was such an easy fix for both of you!

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh poor guy! Is that him, the orange kitty in your avatar photo? (he is gorgeous if so!) I'm so glad you found out what was wrong and he is feeling better! <3 Thanks for taking him him and looking after him.
Yep, that's him, Gizmo! It's amazing how quickly he became part of our family considering the countless other kittens I've fostered and had no problem letting go to good homes. Most people consider tabby cats to be ordinary in appearance, I've definitely had the opportunity to keep more unique patterned kittens...but his disposition/attitude is really what made my family fall in love with him.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats just have that special something! I personally love ginger tabbies. Most of the ones I've met have an extra sweet demeanor. I'm glad he found a place with you and your family.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Now we can breathe a sigh of relief! Worms! I wouldn't have thought that with him having solid poops. Glad he's on the mend now.

(my next cat will be a ginger. that's the plan anyway :wink:)