Kitten Stomach Bloat + Info From Vet So Far, Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickkittenowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, I will do my best to give all the info I about the cats behavior as well as what the vet has done and told us so far. Starting with the kitten, my wife wanted one, I didn't at first because we have other animals and a toddler (I'm worn out already LOL) anyway, we got the kitten, it for some reason took a liking to me and of course I slowly got attached. It then started to develop a bloated / bulging stomach (he tends to eat fast and a lot, so at first i attributed it to that). when it wasn't going away after a couple days, I had my wife take him to the vet. that was friday afternoon. The vet ran a fecal test and so far coccidia (spelling?) and lukemia (spelling?) have both shown up negative so the vet gave us an antibiotic for intestinal parasites as well as a second and third round of dewormer. The kitten has had 2 doses of the antibiotic (one per day) and 1 round of the wormer (he had one on the day of his visit and gets another next week). I will upload pictures of the kitten and the antibiotic after this post as they are on my phone. So far they seem to have no effect. The vet informed us that if the antibiotic was not working within a couple of days he was going to switch him to another similar antibiotic for intestinal parasites that they try to use if the first doesn't have any effect. He informed us that it could still be lukemia or coccidia with a worst case scenario being FIP, but with them not showing up in the fecal test and FIP being so hard to test for due to it showing up with coronova (incase he didnt get enough feces) it would require a blood test which he would run next week if the kitten still was not getting any better. The kitten doesnt seem to be in pain, possibly in discomfort though as he is not climbing / jumping to and from things he was before. He has also gotten more lethargic (kittens are fairly lazy when it comes to laying around / sleeping anyway, but lately he isn't really playing much if at all and has been just kind of laying down and resting / sleeping wherever (floor next to the bed mostly). he looks to have a little trouble breathing, I assume due to the bloated belly. Any help and advice would be much appreciated as we are very worried about this kitten and it is very young (maybe 2 months - 2 1/2 months?). I apologize for the long / unproof read post, wanted to get this up asap to try to figure out whats going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sickkittenowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG
IMG_2590.JPG
IMG_2591.JPG

The stomach bloat/bulge is easier to see when he is moving around. If anymore pictures would help just ask and I will add more asap.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This isn't really my area of expertise, but I didn't want you thinking no one cared, and Sundays can be quiet around here. AND, once one person answers a thread, more are sure to follow! It sounds to me as if the vet has done what was right and proper. You will want to give him a call about the difficulty breathing and the lethargy, as well as any changes in eating habits. I do know that not all intestinal parasites are created equal, so a different wormer may be indicated.

I'm enclosing a couple of articles that contain good general information for you. Keep us posted, please, and WELCOME TO TCS! Oh, and congrats on being a new catdaddy. Never mind who wanted the kitten, they tend to pick their people themselves.

35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain
Cat Health Care Abc
The 4 Most Common Worms That Can Make Your Cat Sick

Please let us know how the kitten (what is his name?) is doing.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to say it but as bloated as he is and his becoming lethargic I would be thinking FIP. There is no sure diagnosis but there are blood tests that indicate FIP. I really hope that I am wrong.

sickkittenowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
as of right now he is barely willing to move and looks to have more trouble breathing. I am looking for a 24 hour animal hospital at the moment because my family believes he may be dying.

-edit; my wife is on the way to the nearest 24 hour emergency vet right now. I'm praying that its not fip and that there is something they can do to help him. It's sad enough when you have to put an adult cat down who has had a good and long life, its a whole nother thing when you have to put a 2-3 month old kitten down who hasnt even had a chance to have a life yet.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If his belly is filled with a straw colored fluid that is as close as you can get to a definitive diagnosis of FIP. Euthanasia would really the kindest choice for him. I really hate that disease.

sickkittenowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitten Harley, It breaks my heart to say, was not treatable. My wife got to the emergency vet and after looking at him the vet said it was most likely FIP but they could run a few tests anyway to check for other things just to make sure it wasn't one of those but they were pretty adamant of FIP. I had them do the tests anyway cause if there was a chance I was gonna hope and pray for it. By the time they were done with the tests and the fact he was doing badly before he got there, he could barely stand and it did turn out to be FIP. We were informed the kindest thing we could do was euthanization (spelling?). I hope he is now in a wonderful place with no pain. It's sad and hurts and doesn't seem fair since he was only 2-3 months old.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
On behalf of TCS, we're very sorry to hear about the loss of your kitten.

Out of respect, we close any topic when a pet has passed. Feel free to write a tribute on the Crossing the Bridge forum.
Crossing the Bridge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.