kitten still trying to nurse.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could give me some advise.

One of my foster kittens is still trying to nurse. This is really cute, but waking up by having a kitten nibbling my chin or nose isn't the best way to start the day. On top of this I'm worried that if I can't break him of the habit whoever adopts him will just bring him back.

The shelter thought he was around 7 weeks old, though personally I think he looks more like 5-6 weeks...

Any ideas on how to break him of this habit?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Oscar did that when I first found him (probably 5 weeks old). He particularly liked to lick the inside of my nose, mouth and ears. Yup, I remember how annoying that was!

They have to grow out of it mostly, but while I waited for that to occur, I slept with the sheet over my head for a while. Once he realized that he couldn't nibble/lick me at night, he stopped - probably took about a week of concerted effort on my part.

You might try to give him an soft toy to snuggle with when he sleeps.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if an adopter knows why a cat does this it isnt a problem. Harley self soothes by suckling on your ear lobe--he's about 2 and a half years old. We were caught off guard by it but we allow it because we understand why he does it--and I can usually tell a situation of when he'll do it. Like when I went back to work full time, he was in full on self soothe mode.

Leslie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks guys. I guess I'll just keep pushing him off if he starts nibbling. I know that might sound mean, but sleep is good and I'll make it up to him when I play with him the next day.