KITTEN SPAY INCISION HELP

mattiehealy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am freaking out about my kittens spay area. The 1st picture was two days after her surgery and the 3rd picture about 4 days after her surgery and the last picture i just took right now which would be 5 days. She was very drowsy from the anesthesia on the first night and the next day after her surgery she was jumping and running EVERYWHERE, mind you i live in a 4 bedroom apartment and I have been keeping her confined in my room. I have no area that does not have anywhere for her to jump. If i were to lock her in the restroom she has the sink and the closet to jump around in, on the toilet, into the tub. I have lost about all hope with her. She is INSANE!!! I am so scared that she has an infection. Yes she has a lump under the incision that I read isnt always a really big deal. Please let me know if y’all think it looks as bad as i do. I am worried sick and about to pull my hair out.
0D6B73FF-59B1-4F0C-A817-CDF50DDD2EC0.jpeg
8929DB69-04DD-4E7E-8ADF-1AB3455DE669.jpeg
D284F014-6AF5-4B73-B7A0-5AFAC1035AF4.jpeg

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I am freaking out about my kittens spay area. The 1st picture was two days after her surgery and the 3rd picture about 4 days after her surgery and the last picture i just took right now which would be 5 days. She was very drowsy from the anesthesia on the first night and the next day after her surgery she was jumping and running EVERYWHERE, mind you i live in a 4 bedroom apartment and I have been keeping her confined in my room. I have no area that does not have anywhere for her to jump. If i were to lock her in the restroom she has the sink and the closet to jump around in, on the toilet, into the tub. I have lost about all hope with her. She is INSANE!!! I am so scared that she has an infection. Yes she has a lump under the incision that I read isnt always a really big deal. Please let me know if y’all think it looks as bad as i do. I am worried sick and about to pull my hair out. View attachment 362994View attachment 362995View attachment 362996
Now don't freak out! By all means, talk to the vet but keep calm. I have seen a lot worse and, often when a stitch becomes unattached, a gap will appear. What is far more important, is what is going on internally. So V verna davies and Ravynn Ravynn are quite right when they mention infection and discharge. But antibiotics will soon put that right should they be necessary. In the old days, cats were bandaged tightly and we didn't see how the wound was healing till the bandage was cut off 10 days after the op. If your cat is eating and beginning to feel better, I am sure everything will sort itself out.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree with the above, as long as she is eating, drinking, using the litter box, and being active, everything is fine. The incision looks good to me, there is bound to be a little increase in redness and slight oozing, just watch for a big increase or if it actively starts oozing yellow or green pus. I see no redness in an area around the incision, no abnormal discharge, no swelling. A lump underneath is from internal swelling and is normal. If it makes you feel better, send/take in those pictures and see what they say. You could gently wipe the area with a warm cloth soaked in a cat wound spray found in farm supply stores like Tractor Supply or Orscheln's, or Bomgaars, that may speed things up. If she is that active she is feeling good. 5 days out to a week you can let her get back to normal activity by watching her incision site. I have seen MUCH worse, and a slight parting of the incision has happened to many of my cats and they healed fine.