Kitten Spay Failed - Don't know what to do!

Quacksdoctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

catwoman707: Yes, I agree - I felt that it was wrong they charged us $400 for a failed spay when I initially agreed that it would only cost us $275 for a successful one!
Dear Abbey, unintended pun, I must say this, ..I can't put into words, .. something else. Not just the cost of your dealing with these people but the follow up work you've done on your own, would make anyone dizzy. With the preponderance of other things, and very involved replies in regards to what you've gone through, I must have missed everything late on with the cat's respiration. With the hideously failed ovariectomy, did her breathing and activity at least come back to normal? I realize you probably have answered this already but I was simply stuck on the failed procedure itself. Is this something like it? Errors in Veterinary Anesthesia

Quacksdoctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
November 2008

Anesthesia/Pain Management

Sandra Z. Perkowski, VMC, PhD, DACVA
University of Pennsylvania

Anesthetizing the Small Animal Patient

PATIENT EVALUATION

Propofol may be given in combination with diazepam (0.2 - 0.5 mg/kg) or midazolam (0.2 - 0.) IV, which will minimize cardiovascular and respiratory side effects. A small amount of propofol (1-2 mg/kg) may be given prior to the benzodiazepine to prevent excitement. The remaining propofol is then titrated to effect. Although the animal will take slightly longer to recover than with propofol alone, the amount of propofol required for induction is decreased and blood pressure is better maintained. Use of preoperative medication may also help decrease the dose of propofol required. Since propofol does NOT provide analgesia, preoperative administration of an opioid or other analgesic is recommended for patients undergoing a surgical procedure. Opioids, in general, also have minimal cardiovascular side effects. Adverse cardiovascular effects may be exacerbated if acepromazine, which is also a vasodilator, has been given.
So with the problems associated with this drug, the questionalble administration of it,
or alfaxalone, you still haven't given the cat an actual pain killer in fact, in combination, then..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Q Quacksdoctor - this thread that you just posted to is old (2014) and the OP hasn't been active since 2015. Just thought I would let you know - and, if there is information you want to share or questions you want to ask, you can start a new thread of you own!!

Quacksdoctor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Q Quacksdoctor - this thread that you just posted to is old (2014) and the OP hasn't been active since 2015. Just thought I would let you know - and, if there is information you want to share or questions you want to ask, you can start a new thread of you own!!
Not getting a reply at all from the OP would, in and of itself, be sufficient, wouldn't you think? That, therefore would be, by default, ascertained.