Kitten sleeping with toddler? **it was REALLY cute though**

austins_smokey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I walked into my 2 year old son's room the other night looking for his new kitten Smokey and I found him in Austin's crib curled up on his neck. They were sleeping together! It was the sweetest thing. My mother and grandmother always told me that you should never let a cat around a sleeping baby. Is there any truth behind this and do you see anything wrong with him sleeping w/ Austin?

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, there's no truth to the old wive's tale of a baby and cat sleeping together as a danger. There's nothing wrong with him and Austin sleeping together--unless you don't get pictures and post them for us! LOL!

The only thing I can think of is to make sure the kittens claws are trimmed regularly so he won't accidentally scratch the baby.

Sounds like it was quite a hallmark moment

nyzki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my daughter was a small baby we had a siameese cat saphire who used to protect my daughter. I never once feared for my child.

ripley601

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Funny, my husband and I are talking about having a baby and this very same subject came up. My concern is Ripley because she will climb all us at and settle at my head. Sometimes I have to move her because she gets right in my face. We are worried she will do that to the baby and the baby won't be able to turn its head. I know the obvious answers to sove the problem, but you still wonder about it. What was that old wives tale anyway..the cat will steal your soul or something?

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if your worried you could always use a mosquitio net.

i heard they drink the milk from the babies mouths or something.

my cat doesnt even like milk!

serenasmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ripley601

Funny, my husband and I are talking about having a baby and this very same subject came up. My concern is Ripley because she will climb all us at and settle at my head. Sometimes I have to move her because she gets right in my face. We are worried she will do that to the baby and the baby won't be able to turn its head. I know the obvious answers to sove the problem, but you still wonder about it. What was that old wives tale anyway..the cat will steal your soul or something?
Well, my mom still swears that, if left alone, cats will curl up around the baby's neck and smother it. Vicious animals...
Tha only thing my baby would have to worry about is Serena licking his/her nose in the middle of the night!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's so cute. I don't see why it would be a problem with a toddler. My brother and sister-in-law's cat has slept with my niece and nephew, not as tiny babies, but once they got a little older.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My granddaughter naps on the couch, with her "guardian kitty" by her feet. Sometimes she gets her littlwe hand around his tail, and he will not move until she lets it go. Cotton, her kitty, is bigger than she is, and it is so cute to watch them together. He loves her so much.

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The concern is that the cat will accidently suffocate the baby, this fear is quite valid if the child is small but at 2 yrs old should be big enough to waken if smothered.
If you are worried about your child's ability to do this to a quick test with your own hand to see if they stir. If your child doesn't start to struggle then its too soon to let the cat in the bed.
Cats should be discouraged from using a baby's bed to sleep in, it's a practical thing, dirt, fleas or mites and potential allergies.
Mum only ever let the cats sleep with us once we were in "big beds".
Go with your gut instinct, there's always a reason for these old wives tales.

big-cat-fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have a cat named Charlie who is no longer with us but we always caught him in the girls bed. Nothing bad ever happened. Our Lilo
sleeping with the girls unless Garfield makes it there first.
I never really thought about until now but all of our cats have
ed sleeping with our girls. Kids must know how to keep them warmer.

~SARAH~

golden_moon_luv

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard that cats will steal the babies breath. Just breath in its face for a long time taking all the good air. That is true in some cases. Happened to a few people my mom knew. A cat did that to my father a long time ago woke up short of breath and his cat was on him.

Ashley

duke816

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ginger's Mum

The concern is that the cat will accidently suffocate the baby, this fear is quite valid if the child is small but at 2 yrs old should be big enough to waken if smothered.
If you are worried about your child's ability to do this to a quick test with your own hand to see if they stir. If your child doesn't start to struggle then its too soon to let the cat in the bed.
I think Ginger's Mum has a good point. This occurred to me when I first got Smokie as a kitten because she would climb up and lay on my head, or my neck, or my chest, which I loved, but I remember thinking.... oh, this is why they worry about cats and babies!
If your child is big enough to move the cat (as mentioned above), then I don't see a problem. But I know my little Smokie, at a mere 10 pounds, is a little much for ME sometimes!

deecraword

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just about to make a thread about this:

I have 2 sons a 2 year old and a 6 month old and my oldest cat Shylo sleeps in the bed with my 2 year old son sometimes. I always get up to check on him through the night but Shylo tends to sleep at the foot of the bed when he's in the bed with him.

Last night I went to the kitchen for just a second and when I came back out I noticed my 5 month old cat Smokey lying on the bouncer with my 6 month old son. Even though Smokey has soft paws I am afraid that he will hurt the baby. I know Smokey doesnt know any better but still, its my baby.

ripley601

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe a strand of garlic and a cross? errr..no wait thats for Vampires..

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

if your worried you could always use a mosquitio net.

i heard they drink the milk from the babies mouths or something.

my cat doesnt even like milk!
I read this myth began in the 1700's when cats were considered witch's companions. They myth is that cats steal babies breath when trying to suck the milk from them.. Its ridiculous. Most cats don't even like milk

Most deaths attributed to cats have actually been proven to be caused by other things altogether. Other than keeping nails short, I wouldn't worry..

bogeyandbetty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In nursing school we were told that a cat breathes a higher persentage of oxygen than a human does and that is were the soul stealing myth has come in. If you are worried obout the children being smothered here is some advice: start teaching your cat or kitten right away that it does not belong past your chest. Our old family cat used to sleep with us and if my dad found the cat near our faces he would tell him NO and lock him from the room. Cats are smart and it won't take long for them to figure out where they can nap at.
good luck!!