Kitten size

CJ1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. My 7 month old kitten seems like he grew twice the size overnight! I weighed him at home, but I think my scale is broken. It says 5 lbs, but that’s impossible. He looks like a large adult cat now. My question is, can you over feed a kitten? He gets one 3oz wet food can in the morning and one at night. I also leave a small bowl of dry out which he never finishes in a day. Wet-Fancy feast kitten, dry-Wellness kitten.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a pic? Male cats are bigger. You can over feed,under feed any animal or human. It sounds like you are feeding him good. I have a cat that knows when to stop,a cat that over eats then throws up,a cat that could probably eat all day but I won't let her

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a photo to share? 5 lbs sounds on the small side to me personally for a 7 month kitten.

Kittens really can't be overfed. They use up a ton of calories a day being so energetic. I'd say 6 ounces of wet and some dry is on the low side but could be normal for your particular cat. My girl, as a kitten, would eat about 9 ounces wet a day PLUS a decent amount of kibble out at all times and she was not overweight. She was very fit and muscular.

Seeing a picture would help to see his body condition.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all. My 7 month old kitten seems like he grew twice the size overnight! I weighed him at home, but I think my scale is broken. It says 5 lbs, but that’s impossible. He looks like a large adult cat now. My question is, can you over feed a kitten? He gets one 3oz wet food can in the morning and one at night. I also leave a small bowl of dry out which he never finishes in a day. Wet-Fancy feast kitten, dry-Wellness kitten.
A 7 month old kitten is still a growing kitten till he reaches maturity. The other thing is at this age, he's going through a phase called 'Growth Spurt' which means he is eating more than usual and this will last through somewhere when he's around 1+ years old and the food intake will slowly taper off.

You can never overfeed a kitten. Kittens eat lots as they burn off lots of calories. Moreover, male cats are bigger in size and heavier as compared to female cats. Rough guide for weight is a pound to a month of your kitten's age. So 5 pounds for a 7 month old kitten is underweight unless your scale is not reading right.