Kitten showed up at my doorstep

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After my Littlebit past away I swore that I didn't want another cat at least not right now but a kitten showed up at my back door, looks about 5-6 weeks old and I can't just let it go hungry in the cold. I brought her (or he? I can't tell) inside but I don't have any kitten food. I gave him some fancy feast that I had but im wondering what is a good kitten food? My Littlebit was a senior at almost 20 years so I haven't had to wonder this in years.

I want to stick to an all wet food....because he seems to like it and I know how hard it is to transition them off once they have tasted kibble. I looked at Applaws kitten but it doesn't look to have all that kittens need and I read that Wellness kitten can cause stomach issues just not sure where to look.

its interesting....that this kitten shows up right when I am grieving my Littlebit, its as if he sent this one to me to take care of.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fancy Feast has kitten varieties you can feed. And no, the Applaws canned / pouched foods sold in the US are not complete diets. They're only treat foods.

A kitten that young may need some KMR as well. You can try adding it to the canned food.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After my Littlebit past away I swore that I didn't want another cat at least not right now but a kitten showed up at my back door, looks about 5-6 weeks old and I can't just let it go hungry in the cold. I brought her (or he? I can't tell) inside but I don't have any kitten food. I gave him some fancy feast that I had but im wondering what is a good kitten food? My Littlebit was a senior at almost 20 years so I haven't had to wonder this in years.

I want to stick to an all wet food....because he seems to like it and I know how hard it is to transition them off once they have tasted kibble. I looked at Applaws kitten but it doesn't look to have all that kittens need and I read that Wellness kitten can cause stomach issues just not sure where to look.

its interesting....that this kitten shows up right when I am grieving my Littlebit, its as if he sent this one to me to take care of.
I had to respond to your message….I truly believe your new little kitten was sent to you to help you in your grief….I had a similar thing happen to me back in 2020.
I had lost my son in 2019 who had a Tiger cat who he loved but when my son passed away his girlfriend gave his cat away even after I had told her I would take her…needless to say, that hurt me deeply but a few months later there were 3 kittens born in our yard. The mother cat was all gray, two of the kittens were all black and low and behold the third kitten was a Tiger cat…I truly believe he was sent to me…For what ever plan it was I was only able to keep him for 11 months, he suddenly got sick and passed away but I still grieve for both him and my son.
So enjoy your new little one and cherish him.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just still hurt so bad from losing my kitty he just passed Friday night and part of me feels like it’s to soon but this little one needs a home and he distracts me from the hurt of losing my littlebit at least for a little while. Should I stick to kitten food or would an all ages appropriate food be ok?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any wet food is alright until you can get to the store and buy some kitten wet food. Farm supply stores like Orschelns or Tractor Supply have good supplies, Walmart has some, usually in Fancy Feast. Kitten Replacement Milk or KMR would be very good too.
I am a big believer in fate. Why would a kitten that young just show up at your door? The timing is just too coincidental. Your Littlebit would be honored for you to take in that kitten, he more than likely sent him to where he knew there was love and care. Distraction is not bad when grieving, you have a lifetime to grieve. But there is time to love and open your heart, too. That tiny kitten is not a replacement, but rather an extension of the love that Littlebit is sending you.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank y’all it’s been a very long time since I’ve had a kitten. I’ll check out all the suggestions he doesn’t seem to picky so far. He’s eating some simply nourish wet food now that I had already on hand so he for sure likes wet.

when y’all say milk replacement you don’t mean the whiskas milk do you? I have some on hand but I bet tractor supply would have something different.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart is soaring! O am so overjoyed this kitten has appeared! Agree that strays seem to “know” when the coast is clear! No it won’t replace the ache you feel for Littlebit, but perhaps this sweet one sensed your grief and is trying to help.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
when y’all say milk replacement you don’t mean the whiskas milk do you? I have some on hand but I bet tractor supply would have something different.

KMR is a brand of kitten milk replacer. I think there are others.

KMR® Kitten Milk Replacer Powder | PetAg (en-US)

Most are available in both powder form and liquid form. Most pet stores sell kitten milk replacer.

Whiskas Milk and other similar products are treat type liquids with no nutritional value.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
8 years ago, I was walking outside searching for a stray kitten but instead I ran into a neighbor trying to give away a 5 week kitten,Peaches, she found in a hole. How could I resist? Turns out the kitten I was searching for was from my cat Coco`s mom`s mate 2nd litter about 8 years later so obviously someone took him in then abandoned him. When Coco was taken away 5 weeks old then showed up on my porch a year later I took her in. Maggie had 4 siblings and a mom also come to my porch Miracles do happen. They were adopted or something tragic happened.. she was the only one left so now she's with me. I am sure your new kitten will be happy! Peaches was fed mostly wellness core chicken then hound&gatos,tiki after dark,rawz. I agree about starting a kitten on dry and wet. Then it will be harder for her to just eat wet. So Coco has dad who was also her mate, nieces,nephews brother, father in law

Last edited:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like Littlebit has definitely played a part in this little one turning up at your door. My husband was the same when we lost our Tik. But he spotted some tiny kittens playing in a neighbour's yard. The neighbour wanted homes for the kitten's my hubby wanted to help the kitten's. We ended up with one and rehomeing 2 more. We think Tik told our boy exactly what to do to win my hubby's heart. I understand you want wet food for your kitten but they are eating machines in that first year. We gave our boy wet in the morning and evening before bed, and left dry kitten out the rest of the time it worked well and stopped us constantly having to feed him.

shortykatyk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank y’all so much. My mom actually got a manufacturer coupon in the mail from Instinct up to $35 and noticed that they have kitten food so we may try it or just the regular all life stages since it’s free LOL but natural balance and wellness also sent me coupons as well just not for near as much off but this means we can try quite a bit and see what he likes.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Catfooddb.com
You will notice the amount of protein,fat carb is no different with wellness core chichen,turkey,chicken,, liver and wellness core kitten. Same with other brands like nutro perfect portions. Kittens eat more,only difference. I even give my adult cats kitten food! Tiki after dark is also good

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This kitten seems to have a sensitive tummy. She does well with Rachel Ray Nutrish but bad with Fancy Feast (i mean.....her restroom habits took a hit with FF) I do have some Tiki after dark that she might like the one with the qual egg. I bought a lot of different wet foods for my Littlebit hoping to entice him to eat and still have a few left....at least they will go to good use :(

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I would keep the kitten on one wet food (and the milk supplement if she is possibly under about eight weeks) to start.
Then once her tummy settles, try slowly to introduce different wet foods, one at a time. Too much variety for young kittens can cause stomach issues.