Kitten shivering

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just called the vet's office instead of waiting till tomorrow. They think he may have a very bad tummy ache. I gave him some small pieces of leftover ham fat yesterday which he just loved. I didn't know that was not good for him. So they have me giving him an antacid. If no improvement in a couple of days, I need to bring him in.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m very glad you called them. Poor little guy! I’m surprised that affected him that way but since he has been on antibiotics, his tummy may have been a bit touchy anyway. Antibiotics can mess up the balance of things in our digestive system. I have to take probiotics when I am in them. I can sympathize! Hopefully he will feel much better.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's an update on Rascal. I had lunch with a friend of mine yesterday and she wondered if he was having a side effect from the antibiotic. I did some research yesterday afternoon and it does appear that he could be having a side effect from the Clavamox. I did not give him his dose last night but I did give him the antacid. Last nite he was greatly improved and this morning he wanted to go out in the garage with the other kitties. I put out their food and he was eating with the rest of them. I brought him in a little bit ago and gave him some canned food which he ate his fill of. Today would have been his last day on the Clavamox so I don't feel bad stopping it yesterday. I honestly believe it was the Clavamox causing his issues and not the ham. I think it was just a coincidence. I can't believe the Vet didn't think of this as a possibility. I am so happy he is much better.
Here is pic of my Rascal taken last Sat. Now I need to figure out how to get him to grow. He is small compared to the other male kittens from the same litter. When he was younger he was the same size as everyone else but in the last month or so he seems to have stopped growing.
IMG_20200104_081921.jpg

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well it's been up and down with this kitty. A few days ago it looked like he was passing worm segments so I got some tapeworm dewormer and gave him a 1/2 tablet as he only weighs 3 lbs. This was on Wed. He has been having diarrhea for the last 2 days. Today was not as frequent as yesterday. He eats really well. Drinks plenty of water. Is getting stronger as he can now jump up in my chair with ease something he had difficulty doing before. He's even covering his "jobs" in the litter box including the diarrhea. He wasn't covering anything before. He seems to be doing really well. Should I be concerned? Or is the diarrhea a side effect of the dewormer?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any thoughts?????

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As far as I know the worming can cause diarrhea - but, it shouldn't last more than a day or so. I hope other members have more to offer in terms of ideas. :hangin: