Kitten shivering

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an outside kitten named Rascal. He is 5-1/2 months old. He was neutered a week and half ago. He's been out with the other cats. They have access to a garage which is heated to about 50-55 degrees. We live in Wisconsin and it has been cold but not bitter cold yet.For several days now he has not been acting like himself. He's been sitting under the outside dryer vent when it's running. Otherwise he's been just laying in the garage. He is able to get up on a box so he is not on the cold concrete floor. He will curl up with 2 other kittens his age. He doesn't seem to be eating as much. I let him in the house yesterday and he just laid around. Had no interest in food. I even put out some salmon wet food that I had and he refused it. He would shiver every so often. I did put him back out last nite and today I let him in again. He seemed to have more energy and I gave him some of the wet food which he ate with gusto. He then went and laid on the floor register when the heat came on. While sitting there he just shivered. He wouldn't purr yesterday but today he has been purring all the time. I got out my heating pad and right now he is up on the couch on the heating pad set on low. He did shiver when I first put him on it but not anymore. He's sleeping right now and seems quite content. Should I be concerned about his shivering? He just got up. Got off the couch by himself but is quite wobbly on the side that he was laying on. As he walks around it seems to get better. I'm thinking of leaving him in the house tonite. I do have another cat in the house but she seems afraid of Rascal and runs away from him so I don't think there will be any issues there.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him to a vet in the morning or earlier if he shows further issues. The shivering could indicate a fever or any of a number of problems and since he was just neutered he definitely needs to be checked. Being outside right now could put him at risk of curling up somewhere to hide and you might not be able to access him or even locate him if he gets worse. I strongly agree with you that keeping him inside tonight is the best thing to do. I would also isolate him in a bathroom or somewhere away from the other kitty since his immune system could be weak. He may just need a round of antibiotics but if there is no infection evident then maybe get some blood work done. Showing weakness could also indicate things like anemia. Usually after a week and a half ,a neutered kitty would be pretty perky so please get him straight back to the vet. Keep an eye on the other kittens too. Poor little one. I think your are great for taking such good care of the kitties and getting him neutered. Please let us know how he is doing and post back if you have further questions. Lots of people on the site have experience with similar things and will be here to offer help.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer much more, but would stress that when you are using the heating pad, make sure you have a pretty thick blanket on top of it to put a bit of distance between the actual heating pad and his little body. The warmth should emit up through the blanket, but ensure he isn't getting overheated. It's probably not the case, but just wondered if the wobbliness he demonstrated after getting up was because he was overheated, since it was on the side that he was laying on.

Please keep us posted on how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was able to get him into the vet this morning. He has an upper respiratory infection. He was a little dehydrated so they gave him some sub-q fluids. Also sent me home with terramycin opthalmic ointment for his eyes and clavamox antibiotic. The vet also said to keep him inside for a couple of days. So we'll see how it goes. I wasn't real impressed with this vet. She wasn't very personable. The reason I went there was I knew a couple of people that work there. But as long as we get results is what's most important.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you got him to the vet! That’s great. I understand the vet may not have a good bed side manner but it sounds like the little guy got what he needs to get better. I would keep him isolated inside until he finishes the clavamox and seems well. That’s the procedure most of us would follow in order to keep him for giving it to the other kittens or any other cat. I usually put sick babies in a nice warm box in a bathroom (I put any medicines or chemicals away while they are in the room) until they are well. I hope he recovers quickly! I am so glad that you are so observant and noticed the shivering! :clap2: You really saved him from suffering!

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said to keep him inside for a couple of days. I have a spare bedroom that I plan on putting him in at nite. During the day, I'm letting him roam the house. He loves being by people. I told them I had an inside cat but they didn't seem to be concerned about these 2 being around each other. My other cat is afraid of Rascal and runs away from him all the time so they don't have any close contact. Rascal has not had a cough nor was he sneezing. He also did not have a runny nose. He only had the 1 eye that had some discharge. His other eye was fine. He has been eating really good this afternoon and evening.. Best I've noticed in several days. He's also not shivering as much as he was. He is still a little wobbly. One day at a time.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rascal has always been with the other kitties. And when he's in the house he is around people. Will he be okay to be locked up in a room all nite by himself? Should I leave a lite on or keep it dark? I don't want to stress him out.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tend to leave a night lite on when I leave one alone. Especially if the experience is new to them. If you can sort of “child proof” the room of breakables, phone cords or electrical cords it’s a good idea. No chemicals that he can get into. You might want to sleep in that room if he gets nervous. He’ll adjust in time.

craftymelli

My Mom's kitty, I'm the sister😊
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also leave a blanket with your scent on it in the room with him we do that for my moms cat when we have to go out of the house for a few hours. Moms cat has extreme separation anxiety and this helps calm her. Sometimes we even leave a radio on low.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well he survived the night alone. It's the same room that he and his brother were in for a couple of days when they got neutered. I had a night light on, litter box, food and water. His eye looks good today. The vet did say he has herpes. I'm thinking of giving him some L-lysine. I have some on hand as I use it when I feel a cold sore coming on. Good idea?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always advise to check with the vet before giving anything since some things, even supplements can react with other things the kitty may be taking. I do give L-lysine to my Felv cat and have been for a very long time. Does it help? I can’t honestly say but he is now an old Felv cat so maybe it has helped him. A quick vet call and if it’s okay then I think it’s worth using to see if it gives a boost to the immune system. I’m glad he did okay during the night. I’m sure it helped that he has been in there before and felt at home there with his brother. Their scent could still be there too. All that helps. It’s nice to hear he had a good night and only one eye is affected.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with most of what you’ve been told here!

I’ve had no problem keeping cats used to living in social colonies alone in a room. Provide multiple bedding, height and window if possible, and yes, a night light. Interact and play as much as possible, especially for a kitten.

Kitten proof like Jcatbird said, too! I have three kittens a month younger than your guy and they can’t be trusted with ANYTHING!

Is your resident cat up to date on vaccinations? Any medical conditions? How old is he/she? You want to ensure your kitty is not susceptible to a URI.

There are other things your cat can catch too by letting him run throughout the house, especially if they cross contaminate a littler box.

Trust me... outdoor kitties are exposed to all sorts of things there are no vaccine’s for and are not immediately obvious. We recently let a vet-checked kitten out of quarantine a few days early without realizing he had giardia, ringworm, and roundworms which resulted in an outbreak. It’s not fun!

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rascal was doing much better. But this morning when I went out to feed everyone, he wouldn't eat. He just sat there. I let him in the house and he just walks around half crouched down with hind quarters up. He seems a little wobbly and can't get up on anything like he could before. When I pick him up he won't even purr. I got some wet food out and he won't touch it. He won't even touch his favorite treats. I saw him by the water bowl and he drank a little. I noticed he did use the litter box. Has anyone else had a cat acting like this? If so, what did it end up being?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like he needs to go back to the vet. It might not have been an URI or the antibiotic given might not be working for that specific strain or he got attacked by another animal and in his weakened state got hurt. Whichever it is I would have a vet check him out. Also, would it be possible to keep him in a bathroom or small room inside until he finishes the antibiotics? When they are recovering from an illness cats are vulnerable to any predator or secondary infections. It's always safer for them and will prevent healing hiccups to keep them inside until they are healed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. When you take him back to the vet, ask about having him tested (if he has not already been) for FIV/FELV. That could help in identifying how to treat his current condition more effectively. Perhaps, even a full fecal PCR test, which would identify other bacterial/viral issues. Good luck to Rascal and you - and, please keep us posted.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he needs to go back to the vet. It might not have been an URI or the antibiotic given might not be working for that specific strain or he got attacked by another animal and in his weakened state got hurt. Whichever it is I would have a vet check him out. Also, would it be possible to keep him in a bathroom or small room inside until he finishes the antibiotics? When they are recovering from an illness cats are vulnerable to any predator or secondary infections. It's always safer for them and will prevent healing hiccups to keep them inside until they are healed.
He's been staying in our attached garage along with the other cats. There is a pet door so the cats can go in and out. We live in Wisconsin and it is cold and snowy this time of year. Rascal hasn't even ventured outside since it got cold and snowy. We keep the temp about 50-55 degrees in there. I've been letting him in the house during the day. He was doing really well until today. I will probably keep him inside tonite and see how he is in the morning.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like something else needs to be done. I can only guess but from you description, it sounds like his back end could be painful. Crouching with back end up? His neutering incision was okay? So many things could cause rear problems. Parasites included along with various other things. A return to the vet is what I would do. At the very least, call them and stress that he is acting peculiar. Describe everything or even take photos to show the vet. Not eating but drinking? It could be fever too. The time factor can be very important for our little loved ones.