Kitten shaking paws and biting them after Rabies Vac

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Zoe went in for her final booster and then they also gave her a Rabies Vaccine. After bringing her home, she will not stop licking and biting her paws and shaking her back legs. She cannot sit still.

Has anyone gone through this?

I would take her back to the vet but I haven't been happy with their service as it seems like every time they do something for my baby, there is a negative reaction. And I have never seen anything like what she's been going through with any of my other pets over the years.

Can anyone shed some light? I'm getting beyond stressed by all of this.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never seen this, but hope someone will be along quickly to help you!  In the meantime, I would call the vet's office & ask them. Better safe than sorry, you can always change vets later.  At least you will have some feed back from a vet.

Good luck, I hope everything is okay,

Keep us posted!

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't like the vet who gave the rabies vaccine just take your kitty to another vet. Unless the rabies vaccine is required by law where you live, Zoe did not need it. You can request a waiver because she clearly has a medical complication if it is required in your state. Hopefully, a better vet will know what to do and Zoe will never be vaccinated for rabies again. It is unfortunate that the only vaccine required by law in many places is not necessary for indoor cats and the most dangerous one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, not going back there since Zoe got extremely ill after spaying.

We made an appointment at our old vet and we're taking her in. 

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She needs to get to a vet, like now. They will most likely give her a shot of benedryl.  Its never a good idea, to give 2 shots at the same time, especially with kittens, I found out the hard way.  

The reason is, what your injecting into them, is poison, per say, and its too much, for their little system to handle, plus, you don't know which shot, she had the reaction to.  What was the booster she got?

This was 5 yrs ago, and he was violently throwing up, in 5 min, I rushed him back, they gave him a shot of benedryl and watched him for 30 min, he was fine. I never gave 2 shots at the same time, again, and never had a problem with any of the kittens.

It also depends, on if they were given the 1 yr shot, or the 3 yr shot, and the others can better explain that one, right now, my memory on that, is blank, lol.

Really, don't wait, you need to take her in now, even if its the ER vet, and especially, that she is a kitten.

For future reference, for those that may now know, you never want to give vaccines at the same time they are spayed/neutered, its just too much on their little system, surgery is tough enough on them.

Please keep us updated, and hope she is feeling better soon.  

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta
She needs to get to a vet, like now. They will most likely give her a shot of benedryl.  Its never a good idea, to give 2 shots at the same time, especially with kittens, I found out the hard way.  

The reason is, what your injecting into them, is poison, per say, and its too much, for their little system to handle, plus, you don't know which shot, she had the reaction to.  What was the booster she got?

This was 5 yrs ago, and he was violently throwing up, in 5 min, I rushed him back, they gave him a shot of benedryl and watched him for 30 min, he was fine. I never gave 2 shots at the same time, again, and never had a problem with any of the kittens.

It also depends, on if they were given the 1 yr shot, or the 3 yr shot, and the others can better explain that one, right now, my memory on that, is blank, lol.

Really, don't wait, you need to take her in now, even if its the ER vet, and especially, that she is a kitten.

For future reference, for those that may now know, you never want to give vaccines at the same time they are spayed/neutered, its just too much on their little system, surgery is tough enough on them.

Please keep us updated, and hope she is feeling better soon.  

but your cat had signs of anaphylaxis. The most common symptoms of anaphylaxis are the sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock, seizures, coma, and death. The animals' gums will be very pale, and the limbs will feel cold. The heart rate is generally very fast, but the pulse is weak. There can be facial swelling.