Kitten Shaking And Acting Weird After Spay. I’m Panicking :(

Oleanderlight

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kitten got into heat about 4 days ago and I took her in to get spayed. When she got home after the spay she ran straight to eat and drink but I saw that the area where she had surgery was bleeding, like she’d sit and eat and there would be drops of blood. I called the vet and he said to come back. I came back, he gave her anesthesia again and stitched her up. He said that she was still in heat during surgery so her blood vessels were enlarged and that’s why she bleed. Now I took her home again and she is shaky alittle, but she is playing with little things I throw to her. The shaky part is worrying me. Will the shaking wear off? Thanks guys!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Did you have a chance to ask the vet why she was shaking? Is it diminishing?
You could try taking a video, and then in a couple hours or so, take another to compare how she's doing. --I'm guessing it is a reaction to the anesthesia.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since the anesthesia? It's normal for them to be drunk and shaky for a while afterward. Don't try to play with her, just let her rest. If she isn't normal by the next morning, call the vet.

Although the vet isn't really inspiring a lot of confidence, if they didn't stitch her up correctly the first time. Is there another vet in the area you could ask?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did you take the kitten back home? Where I live female cats stay at the clinic for 1-2 days after getting spayed exactly to prevent situations like this. I'm already annoyed at the vet if he just sent her back..

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When did you take the kitten back home? Where I live female cats stay at the clinic for 1-2 days after getting spayed exactly to prevent situations like this. I'm already annoyed at the vet if he just sent her back..
Most vets in the US send kittens/cats home a few hours after the surgery is over. Mine were dropped off at 8am and picked up at 4pm the same day. They were completely fine. But we could also take them back for a free walk-in appointment during certain hours each day. (This was through a low-cost clinic at our local SPCA, which provided wonderful care. I know that many private vets have the same policies.)

O Oleanderlight , how is your kitty now?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten got into heat about 4 days ago and I took her in to get spayed. When she got home after the spay she ran straight to eat and drink but I saw that the area where she had surgery was bleeding, like she’d sit and eat and there would be drops of blood. I called the vet and he said to come back. I came back, he gave her anesthesia again and stitched her up. He said that she was still in heat during surgery so her blood vessels were enlarged and that’s why she bleed. Now I took her home again and she is shaky alittle, but she is playing with little things I throw to her. The shaky part is worrying me. Will the shaking wear off? Thanks guys!
O Oleanderlight , how is your kitten doing today? :vibes: :vibes:
I think she's about 5 mos old, right?

I wanted to ask, what was the time-span between the two times of anesthesia and surgeries? Did the vet do both surgeries when your kitty had an empty stomach (no food and probably no water in the hours leading up to the surgeries)?

*I am not a vet* but I think that if the surgeries were pretty close together in time, that's a lot of anesthesia for the kitten to process... and I would really recommend you keep her calm and quiet, not a lot of playing, for a few days for sure (if you can!)

How is she doing?

Is there another vet nearby that you take her to if she is still acting shaky and if you are still worried and scared, so that you can get a second opinion?