Kitten sex behaviour

Luna+Dusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Team. I'm a new cat owner, with 2 wee cuties who are 12wks. They are siblings, and today Dusty has started to hump Luma repeatedly. She is unlikely to conceive given both their ages, and our vet won't neuter/spay til after 2nd round of vaccinations next week, and probably will take another 2 or 3 wks to get a slot. We live in NZ. In the meantime is it best to spray him/punish him when he tries it, or just ignore it? She doesn't seem happy about it, and isn't in heat yet.

Thanks for advice!
Laura

kat003

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't experienced this with cats, but have a young dog that does the same. I would try to tell him no and remove him from her, this is the only advice I have. I personally wouldn't spray or punish him since he doesn't know any better.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. No punishment, especially spraying water at a cat, is really appropriate. Distraction might be the first thing to try; perhaps, buy a kicker toy or two and distract him to use that instead of Luma. You can even rub the kicker toys on Luma so they smell like her.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna+Dusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. No punishment, especially spraying water at a cat, is really appropriate. Distraction might be the first thing to try; perhaps, buy a kicker toy or two and distract him to use that instead of Luma. You can even rub the kicker toys on Luma so they smell like her.
They play together all day and have lots of toys including these types. He is just doing what comes naturally to him, but it gets her very distressed at times as she is not yet in heat. What would you recommend as a deterant when they do something wrong? Thanks for the advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What would you recommend as a deterant when they do something wrong? Thanks for the advice.
When they do something wrong - what is she doing wrong? Anyway, as I said, try distracting him with play, and certainly use a kicker toy to see if you can get him to hump it instead of Luna. Maybe buy an entirely different one that you use only for deterring him? It is highly unlikely at their age that he is actually trying to mate, so distraction is really the only option you have. If you can't distract him, then pick him up and take him to another room for a full-on play session with you. You can also take her away from him and use the kicker toy to toss at him as you leave.

If she isn't shying away from him because of this occasional play he wants to do, perhaps she just needs time to get up enough confidence to swat at him and tell him no. I would honestly worry more about this if she were showing signs of avoiding him or changing her behavior otherwise.

Luna+Dusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks that's useful. I meant if they are destroying furniture or going into rooms they're not allowed, that sort of thing. He mostly responds to me telling him no firmly, but this doesn't work when he is humping her. I have to physically pull him off. It should be fine once he is fixed. She is fighting back but she is smaller than him and he's stronger. And she avoids him for a while after he's done it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The 'No' is good for both of them in general terms of getting the point across to them if they are doing something that you don't want them to do. Destroying furniture, if you mean scratching it, should be redirected to cat scratching posts - vertically and/or horizontally - they do need that sort of thing - as you said before some things are just natural and instinctual. Going into rooms you don't want them in is best handled by closing doors or otherwise prohibiting access.
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

I wondered if there was a size difference. If she is that much smaller, then yes intervene in one of the ways suggested above.

Luna+Dusty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The 'No' is good for both of them in general terms of getting the point across to them if they are doing something that you don't want them to do. Destroying furniture, if you mean scratching it, should be redirected to cat scratching posts - vertically and/or horizontally - they do need that sort of thing - as you said before some things are just natural and instinctual. Going into rooms you don't want them in is best handled by closing doors or otherwise prohibiting access.
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles

I wondered if there was a size difference. If she is that much smaller, then yes intervene in one of the ways suggested above.
Thanks. Have read these articles. We will soon have a baby in the house, so wanted to make sure they have some boundaries about not entering certain rooms. We move house soon and will then have baby gates etc. Again, we have scratching posts but they still want to rip at the carpet. Mostly a firm NO seems to do the trick, except for when they're really misbehaving. Thanks for all the info! L