Kitten Sashays When She Walks

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 12 week kitten is obviously quite healthy, running and jumping like a normal kitten. One thing that is a tad weird is that she kind of has a little bit of a hip sway when she walks. I don't mean one of the specialized play walks, I mean her normal walking. My whole family has noticed it. It doesn't seem like a big thing, but we've had other kittens over the years and never noticed this before. I wonder if her general body shape has something to do with it . . . it almost seems like her back section (legs and hindquarters generally) are a tiny bit bigger compared to the rest of her body. This might be imagination, but the sashaying is real, although subtle. All but one of our other cats have been boys, and our other girl cat was a rescued adult, so I'm wondering if its a girl kitten thing.

Only thing I found on the internet was ataxia, which she most definitely does not have. She is not clumsy, and has normal kitten (i.e. high) dexterity.

She goes to the vet in a week for booster shots. We did not have her at her 9 week visit, so she has never been to the vet with us.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there! Other than the pronounced hip swing, have you noticed anything else “off” about her movement? Can she run, jump, and play normally? If so, I don’t think it should be something seriously wrong, but I would definitely recommend bringing it up at your vet appointment next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely moves quite well. She doesn't jump as well as an adult cat yet, but seems to do well enough for 12 weeks, and she is fast and agile, able to bound up stairs and play cat soccer like a champ. I agree there is unlikely to be anything seriously wrong.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if its a girl kitten thing.
No, it's not because she's a girl.

Is she a purebred? If so, there could be some genetic problems with her hips, though I doubt that she'd be so active if that were it. Definitely ask your vet about it, if only for your own peace of mind.

Margret

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Dexter has had what we call a "cowboy walk" for as long as we have had him. It's just his normal. The vet has even taken x-rays that were all clear. He runs and climbs up their cat tree (8 feet tall) normally. Eats well, plays hard. Like humans, I think some cats just have their bodily quirks!