Kitten Safe Space Cleaning

AndyTilt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Background : I have a nearly 2 year old spayed male (jack), and recently got him a friend in the form of a 4 month old female (rose).

They are getting along pretty well, with some controlled visitation. No hissing or fighting, though Jack's a bit too interested as she isn't spayed yet (she will be, i just need to get her last vaccine in her first). She's also started brief adventures into the rest of the apartment with jack confined to the office. The question I have is in regards to cleaning in a kittens safe space. Rose has taken up residence in the bedroom for the integration process. I'm keeping the space neat and tidy and welcoming, but its starting to need a vacuum. She's really shy, and while she is starting to adventure out, when something scares her she likes to run back to her safe space. The space is starting to need a vacuum but i don't want to stress her out.

Any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe have an area farther away from her safe room, with Jack confined as usual, and play with her and give her treats while the vacuuming is going on? If she has a hiding box/bed/etc. in her safe room, perhaps bring it out to the area where you are trying to distract her so at least she has that to run to? Or introduce her to another 'hiding box/bed' in another place in the home and see if she takes to that first before you vacuum. A few more days to test these ideas out before you vacuum would seem worth it.

Bagette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Background : I have a nearly 2 year old spayed male (jack), and recently got him a friend in the form of a 4 month old female (rose).

They are getting along pretty well, with some controlled visitation. No hissing or fighting, though Jack's a bit too interested as she isn't spayed yet (she will be, i just need to get her last vaccine in her first). She's also started brief adventures into the rest of the apartment with jack confined to the office. The question I have is in regards to cleaning in a kittens safe space. Rose has taken up residence in the bedroom for the integration process. I'm keeping the space neat and tidy and welcoming, but its starting to need a vacuum. She's really shy, and while she is starting to adventure out, when something scares her she likes to run back to her safe space. The space is starting to need a vacuum but i don't want to stress her out.

Any advice?
Had same issue when I just got my cat. So simply used short broom and scoop. Yes, it is very tideous, but does the job. Room with his safe space is all carpeted, so I got plastic cover, which helped with cleaning tremendously.

Otherwise, maybe indeed get some help with distracting kitten in another room, while you perform cleaning.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For my cats,even the timid one, she will run somewhere else that's safe. Better than being run over by a vacuum! Or she gets way behind the couch