Kitten rescue!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Today, my little sister took me to a sad, sad place that I had NO IDEA about. A little road in our town, you drive down to a field/pond area and there are about 10 food bowls laid out and cats EVERYWHERE! I counted 9 adults, 1 around 4 month old kitten, and 4 little babies came running up to me out of nowhere BEGGING for food and devouring what we brought. Those 4 are now home with me. I really tried to get the sweet 4 month old too, but he/she wouldn't come close enough. 2 of the adults have HORRIBLE eye infections (one of those being very noticeably pregnant).

I feel SO horrible for these kitties. Most of them would come close enough to get food but shrink away from the touch. I honestly believe they are either all strays or so accustomed to people coming and feeding them because they will get so close and not hiss, spit, etc. It makes me sad people are willing to come and feed them but won't actually make the effort to SAVE them.

I am now taking it upon myself to be that person. I now have the 4 kittens, well fed and in a large carrier/crate. I think they're all from random litters or drop offs, two rather small (around 3-4 weeks or so), one that looks to be around 4-5 weeks, and one that looks to be around 6ish weeks. All sweet as can be and SUPER hungry (not anymore!)

It makes me so sad and angry, the way people treat animals. I want to help. I have my eye on the 4 month old kitten and the pregnant kitty with the really bad eye next. Although obviously I will help whichever cat comes to me first.

I'll add pictures here in a bit after I get them cleaned up (they're literally covered head to toe in food right now)

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im so glad you got the kittens.

If the others are not friendly would you be able to do some TNR so that they don't get pregnant anymore, the population will get big fast if you don't, especially since they are being fed. If you caught the ones with eye infections for ferals they can give them a shot of antibiotics to help. That way you might also be able to get the pregnant one as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely be doing TNR. It might be slow-paced, because it all comes out of my budget, and i'm hoping I can find quite a few of them homes.. I could tell that once I got them in my grasp a lot of them would've calmed down. I guarantee most are drop-offs. It happens so much in my town and you can just tell by their demeanor. I really want to get that pregnant momma with the messed up eye- she needs help badly and I do NOT want more kittens being born out there!!! It's definitely my new 'project', i'm going to hold off fostering for any organizations until I can make an impact on this area. I called the TNR program in our area once before, but they sounded so over-ran and stressed out by trying to control the feral colony over by the restaraunts (KFC, Burger King, McDonalds, and Shell gas station all on the same block, all being fed leftovers constantly.. you see at least 30 cats/kittens when you go through the KFC drive-thru) so I decided to go about it on my own.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good, there are lots of feral colonies around here. Most that i know of arr all TNRed but there is one i just found out about that someone is feeding them and non are fixed. The woman who feeds them didn't even know about TNR so I told her and where to take them and how to catch them and she is working her way through 15 cats out there now. Last I heard she had 5 more to go.

Do you have a low cost spay/ neuter clinic. At mine ferals are $35 to get fixed and a rabies shot. But if you talk to them they also have a fund to help people out and will do it for half the cost or even free. Might be worth a shot talking to your clinic and seeing if they might be able to help you out financially. If not maybe your vet office would be willing to help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It makes me sad people are willing to come and feed them but won't actually make the effort to SAVE them.
You could perhaps spread some flyers there about,

telling about TNR, and not "just" to giving them food.

Food is nice, but best afterwards, not before.  :)

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures! A couple of them were still a little wet from their Dawn bath. Poor little Chance has a sore on his tail from where build up of poo was :( Taking them to the vet tomorrow for wellness check, deworming, etc.

Chance:

Lucky:

Clover:

Midas:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to take my camera tomorrow as well to the "kitty drop off" and take some pics.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I forgot to take my camera today, but I did end up coming home with this little man. I named him Figaro. While we were there two girls pulled up holding him. Their story was "Our momma cat had kittens a few weeks ago and this morning we went in there and she was freaking out. We couldn't find them anywhere, so we've been walking up the street calling and searching. We couldn't find them, but we found him. We don't know what to do with him."

It was quite obvious they were going to leave this tiny defenseless baby out in the wild on the side of the road. I had to take him.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:thud: OMG are they THE most precious babies!!! AWWW, hun, you are just a cat champion, a saint to the cats. It just breaks my heart thinking about all of the thousands of cats/kittens out there with no one around to help them or no one that cares. We need SO many more people like you in the world. AND one or two saved here and there and one or two females spayed here and there is a step in the right direction. You will be making an impact. :nod: I wish you could find others near you to help you in this huge undertaking to TNR all of these cats. You are like an army of one and bless your heart. I will be sending you mega vibes/prayers that you will have the strength emotionally and physically to handle the ups and downs of rescuing. I think you are amazing :nod: and do hope that you can find an organization/group to assist along side you in this great effort. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks you guys!
When I saw this place I just new I HAD to do something. It's quite obvious nobody else is going to do anything for these sweet babies except for feed them and let the population grow out of control in such a small area. It could get out of control SO fast.

I see two pregnant mommas- and that's NOTICEABLY pregnant. One all black momma (I think she might be older? She has some grey hairs sporadically throughout her coat) had a really bad eye infection, but over the past two days it seems to be clearing up A LOT! So that's good.

The other pregnant kitty is obviously the mother of the little 4-6 month old kitten that's still out there, both beautiful tabbies with white. I think she might also be the mother of the super fluffy darker grey tabby kitten that's still out there as well (I think he's Clovers brother.. or sister I can't really tell, but he's bigger than her.. but smaller than the other kitten.. weird!)

There's another tabby with white out there.. it seems really sick and never comes up for food- just hangs in the back looking miserable. I think it's older but looks younger because it's so thin

White kitty with black patches over eyes/ears and tail. REALLY SICK. Sickest of them all. No idea what sex, although I think it's possibly female and the mother of the b&w kittens I rescued (they were in her little 'den' area around her when I rescued them, who knows for sure)

Then there's one orange tabby male, 2 short haired black males

1 long haired black kitty I have no idea what the sex is.

1 mackerel tabby I have no idea what the sex is.

And then there's the 5 kittens I rescued. 16 kitties would be out there if I hadn't found this place, almost 1/3 of them being babies.
It just makes me so sad because I know this is only one small area of the horrible problem in my town. I just have to keep reminding myself "One at a time."

I believe that's it... unless there's ones I haven't seen that hide out in the brush when I come, but I don't think so. I've sat there for HOURS AND HOURS the past few days since I discovered it. So that leaves 11 kitties out there left for me to rescue. Hoping that I can get those pregnant kitties before they pop so there are not more babies running around out there. Today I made massive progress with the two kittens, they came VERY close to me- close enough to touch but I knew if I moved they would take off and be more scared than before. So I will let them come to me, I honestly believe i'll have them here in the next few days I've made so much progress since I started going out there.

My mother-in-law is really frustrated with me. She thinks I won't be able to find homes for these babies and that I am going to end up being stuck with all of these cats and become a hoarder. I think i've been doing great so far this year, i've rehomed 10 kittens from 4 different litters so far. I try to explain to her about my goals of wanting to be a rescue and help our furry babies that can't help themselves- I just don't think she gets it. She always says, "You can't save the world Cassidy." I just reply, "But you can save some kitties!" I think if I ever do open my own rescue that shall be my motto.

Figaro has something wrong with his tooth. Idk what it is, he has a hard lump on his jaw about the size of a pea, and you can see that the tooth is not normal in his mouth, or there's something stuck in the gums next to it (I couldnt get too great a look at it, he wasn't happy with me trying). Sore to the touch. He eats fine though and chews on everything when he's playing. He'll be in to the vet tomorrow (well, I have to call tomorrow and make an appointment. Hopefully they can get us in)

Haven Humane does spaying/neutering, testing, and rabies vaccine for $35, so that's where i'll be taking the kitties I TNR from this area. The only thing I hate is I have to sign a paper saying if they test positive for ANYTHING (This site has educated me about how FIV is not a death sentence, yet here, it would be for the cats) they are PTS. But going to anywhere else would cost me over $35 for just the spay/neuter alone! I guess i'll just hope this situation doesn't happen!

Sorry for the massively long update! Just thought i'd share how everything's going!

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got the 4-6 month old kitten. The other one I listed as the other tabby with white that seems sickly is the same age as this one and i'm sure a littermate, I actually got a good view of it today. So that leaves one more 4-6 month old kitten out there, and one more that is younger. When I was there today a woman pulled up and we had a nice conversation, she is one of the ones who feed them and said that there is a man, Jerry, who owns one of the business' across the field (she doesnt know which one and doesnt have his #) and he says he's been feeding cats at this area for about 10 years. He gives them dog food, people food (vienna sausages)... nothing really good for them at all, but at least he's feeding them [? I guess ?]. Anyways, she said he always talks about how he wants to get them fixed but doesnt have the time to put into it and said if I got a hold of him he might help with some money to get them fixed!!! So im going to write a note with my # and leave it out there and hope for a call!

Here is my latest rescue! His name is Romeo.

When I pulled up today there were eight GIANT VULTURES eating the kitty food. I scared them off, but I want to get the pregnant mommas trapped ASAP. Definitely don't want newborns out there around them!

Last edited:

bindy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi clynn11, i'm new here and just stumbled onto this thread. i'm fostering 4 kittens myself that were rescued from a high-kill shelter. i know how much your heart goes out to the ferals. mine does too. i wish i could save them all! thanks so much for stepping up to help them. is there any other group that can help you besides Haven Humane? perhaps Alley Cat Allies or Alley Cat Rescue would have some info on where you could get them fixed without having to have them euthanized. I live in the San Diego area and here we have the Feral Cat Coalition. Or perhaps you could place an ad on craig's list seeking low-cost vet care for TNR kitties or perhaps set up a Chip-in so that people could donate with the vet care. in the meantime, try not to let people get you down, and continue the good work you're doing. i wish you the very best in your kitty rescue! =^..^=

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! And that's amazing of you for fostering those babies
I am definitely going to look into other places, but as of right now HH is the cheapest. But if this Jerry guy can help I can probably go somewhere where I have a choice!

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Finally got into our vet appointment today. Little Figaro weighed in at a teeny tiny 15 ounces! While Clover was 1 lbs 11 ounces! All got Strongid dewormer, Midas got drops for goopy eyes. Took in a stool sample and waiting for results of whether they have coccidia. Figaro's bump on his jaw has gotten much smaller so she said not to worry about it as it's healing itself.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Vet called back and the stool sample was negative for any coccidia or giardia. The vet said to start the two with diarrhea on EVO, which I went and got today and they LOVE. Hopefully that along with the dewormer will make a difference.

In other news... I got another baby!!!! The little long-haired tabby (I was calling him grey but he's definitely a brown tabby) fell for the wet food finally, he was obviously hungry enough to get close. I tickled his back with my fingers and he pressed into me, loving being pet. So I scooped him up and he froze, then tried to wriggle away but didn't scratch or bite. I believe he is Clovers brother (although obviously I cannot know for sure). His name is Crimson.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh! I also wanted to make an updated list of cats out there to be rescued/TNRed, i've been observing and keeping track of them, whether they're male or female, etc.

1) Tabby with white male. Romeo's brother, anywhere from 4-6 months. I named him Tybalt, even though I haven't caught him yet.

2) Black female. Either pregnant, or has been pregnant very recently- bare nipples, low hanging belly.

3) Tabby with white female. Fat.. or pregnant. Definitely the mommy of Romeo and Tybalt, they follow/ed her everywhere!

4) Mostly white with black patches above eyes female. REALLY messed up eye and very stuffed up. Not noticably fat or pregnant.

5) Short haired black male.

6) Short haired black male #2 (smaller)

7) Long haired black male

8) Long haired black male #2 (smaller)

9) Orange tabby male

10) Mackerel tabby male

11) and today... a cat that I had never seen before in the week i've been going there- mostly white with black patches around eyes male. Looks REALLY beat up, and stays way far away from the other cats. I think he gets bullied :(

And that's the list. For now. Going to start work on TNR there.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Crimson :love: is just TOOOO cute. AWW, hun, you are doing SUCH a great job with these babies. I wish you the best in your TNR efforts with the list above. :cross: You truly are a saint. Bless you little heart :D :happy3: :hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

p.s. It was wonderful to hear that you vet recommended EVO :shocker: Most vets will just prescribe their Hill's diets. EVO is a super diet and I have fed that to my cats. Great diet. Pricey, though, but you don't need to give them too much. Don't over feed it - that won't help the diarhea. Kittens should be about 25 - 30 calories per pound. And in a cup of EVO there are six hundred calories!!!! I usually fed my kittens four small meals a day.

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, two nights ago I went out to dinner with my sisters at Sharis, and there was a tiny black kitten with two adults scrounging for food. It's been all I can think about so tonight (on my birthday, i'm 22 now!) I went back and am now home with a gorgeous all black female kitten. She's a sweetie and is laying on my chest as we speak.

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I named her 'Shay', meaning 'gift' in Irish. Thought it suited her since I rescued her on my birthday