kitten questions feeding/weight, etc

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If the brothers are sucking it down that quickly they may need more. On the other hand, the runt may need less but more frequently as I mentioned before. Slowly dripping when she was full and stopped suckling may not be the best solution.
She is just so hard to get to latch it's ridiculous. She was doing well for a couple days now I have to really work to get her to latch and once she does like I said it's just that little bit. I guess I'm just worried shes not full and just got tired or something when she stops

Edit to add runt fed herself 9 mls a couple hours ago :) I'm trying to go off of feeding charts for their weight and stomach size and it says she should be eating more at a time for her size but I know not everything operates according to text books

Last edited:

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They still havent pooped.. well.. since I last posted. I've added olive oil to each bottle, proviable. I guess I'll have to get miralax. They seem happy and not fussy it's just stressing me out so bad. One hasnt pooped since monday the one I brought in to the vet. I stimulated him Sunday and he pooped on the runt a few minutes after I left the room then at the vet Monday he pooped. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, glycerin suppositories are just that - suppositories made of glycerin that you buy in a pharmacy. You shave off a tiny, kitten-sized piece with a point on it and insert. It usually brings on a poop in about 20-30 minutes. I mentioned it before in my Post #22. 😊

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, glycerin suppositories are just that - suppositories made of glycerin that you buy in a pharmacy. You shave off a tiny, kitten-sized piece with a point on it and insert. It usually brings on a poop in about 20-30 minutes. I mentioned it before in my Post #22. 😊
Okay I can just go to any pharmacy and ask about that? I emailed foster and I'm worried theyll just be like "well we got him to poop last time I dont know what your problem is"

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Suppositories are in the baby aisle with baby products as well as in the adult aisle with constipation products at most any pharmacy.

Are you saying you are asking the shelter if you can use suppositories?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Suppositories are in the baby aisle with baby products as well as in the adult aisle with constipation products at most any pharmacy.

Are you saying you are asking the shelter if you can use suppositories?
No I am not asking them. I asked them for advice if I could bring them in and them show me what they did to get one to poop but no one is there until sunday.
They aren't even straining like they need to go every time I stimulate

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible tiny kittens like these can have little growth spurts? The constipated one has been really picky today not hungry for several hours in a row. He did his big poops finally but hes only a couple grams heavier than he was 24 hours ago... several days ago he gained about 35 g in 24 hours D:

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, they can fluctuate a little as they grow and plateau. He will gain again. 😊
How much is normal for them to eat and how often would you feed? I've read a lot about feedings and stuff and everyone does things different. The runt likes 10mls every couple of hours it seems. The boys will do 20 mls at some feedings. They're about 100 g more than she is.. upper 400g for them

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whose cat is this and what is the question?
She is a popular feline only licensed vet tech. The weight question is what was concerning. Gaining weight doesnt mean body mass gains. I thought all weight gain was good. My runt just hit 400g yet she is still skinny (so it looks to me) the boys are over 500g and thick. she is more frail. I feed her every 2 hours usually, the boys suck down 20ml most of the time and the runt finally usually eats a few ml more than her previous days when she would feel full after 7 or 8ml. Today she had 15ml for two feedings each. shes just bony

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Weight gain IS good. I’m not sure what you are getting at. Not all kittens have the same body type, even in the same litter. Females tend to be smaller than males. You will drive yourself crazy looking at everything on the internet.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Weight gain IS good. I’m not sure what you are getting at. Not all kittens have the same body type, even in the same litter. Females tend to be smaller than males. You will drive yourself crazy looking at everything on the internet.
I was just going off her post. She cares for neonatal kittens usually the sickest ones and is a vet tech and I just saw her post and it made me wonder about my little runt , that's all :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your “runt” weighs 400 grams, that’s 14.1 ounces at not quite 4 weeks old. Your males are over 500 grams, which is 17 ounces. They should weigh on average about 16 ounces at 4 weeks, so they are all doing just fine, as I’ve reiterated to you before. Since females tend to be a bit smaller, she is doing just fine too. In the next week or two you’ll be able to try them on soft foods. They are all well out of the danger zone now.

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My fosters had their vaccines today on their 4 week 1lb milestone. They are extremely exhausted. Acting alert but just logs. Too tired to latch but they all had 20mls of formula eagerly at 3PM a few hours after they got back from their appt. It's now 9PM and they're just so tired. I don't know what to do really but hope they come around. Do you guys have any advice? I spoke to a mentor and she only cares for sick kittens and shes retired in veterinary field and she said it's definitely from the vaccine and very common to have lethargy and be in pain.