Kitten Pulling Out Fur

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
I'm hoping someone can help me.
I fostered a kitten at christmas with the intention of keeping her, however when we first brought her home she was quite sick with cat flu and as she was also coughing we gave her a 5 day worm treatment in case of lung worm aswel as a 7 day antibiotic.

The kitten is nervous with people but loves my other two cats.
She is pulling her fur out, she starts by licking the area, sometimes scratches then proceeds to start pulling clumps out.

I think the coughing could be linked to hair balls and when I brought her to the shelter vet they didn't seem to bothered about it.

It's freaking me out, it's like she's self harming.

I've attached some photos as I can't get a video up.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you obtain some hairball gel? Nutrivet salmon flavored, and you put it on a paw or on their lips.
Also, you could try chamomile tea - from the little bags, cooled and use a cotton ball or soft cloth to apply. It is fine if she licks the tea. It will ease any itchiness, and is antifungal and anti bacterial.
Try some music or a calming product to help relax her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she may have a sensitivity to the worm medicine or the antibiotic. Either could be making her itch long after the effectiveness is done. Or not. It's just something to consider. My cat itched for 3 months both times she got a Convenia shot and pulled out most of her fur. The shot is only supposed to last for 2 months, bu there you are.

Mine pulled it off pretty much every where except her spine, tail, head and shoulders. It did grow back.

Some flea meds can also make your cat itch. I suppose any medicine the cat was sensitive to could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Can you obtain some hairball gel? Nutrivet salmon flavored, and you put it on a paw or on their lips.
Also, you could try chamomile tea - from the little bags, cooled and use a cotton ball or soft cloth to apply. It is fine if she licks the tea. It will ease any itchiness, and is antifungal and anti bacterial.
Try some music or a calming product to help relax her.

Thank you,I have a hair ball remedy downstairs I'll try that out first thing tomorrow morning as I don't want to over stimulate her, the chamomile tea is cooling at the minute. Thank you again

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she may have a sensitivity to the worm medicine or the antibiotic. Either could be making her itch long after the effectiveness is done. Or not. It's just something to consider. My cat itched for 3 months both times she got a Convenia shot and pulled out most of her fur. The shot is only supposed to last for 2 months, bu there you are.

Mine pulled it off pretty much every where except her spine, tail, head and shoulders. It did grow back.

Some flea meds can also make your cat itch. I suppose any medicine the cat was sensitive to could.

Thank you very much. This issue was there before the antibiotics and worming but then I suppose I don't know exactly what they had given her whilst in the shelter before we had taken her home. More than likely flea and worm meds.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. This issue was there before the antibiotics and worming but then I suppose I don't know exactly what they had given her whilst in the shelter before we had taken her home. More than likely flea and worm meds.
Do you use a different type now as your cat had such a reaction?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are asking me, we have switched to Amoxicillin the difference is that it's a pill and the vet and some of us, felt our cat was too wild for us to pill. We bought kavlar arm sleeves, Amazon has them, so that the one who felt hesitant has arm protection while I stuff the pill down kit's throat. Put Rose gloves in the search or arm sleeves.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow thank you so much. I must order them. Kya is a nightmare to give any liquids to, I literally have to make a vet appointment just to worm her.

I'm gonna have a good talk with the vet on Monday see our best options for all three of them. But those gloves ha I'm thrilled.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put Kevlar arm sleeves in the search at Amazon. I may have misspelled it before. If that doesn't work here is the complete search addy -
2PACK(1Pair) 100% Kevlar Arm Sleeves Protection Cut Resistant Knit Sleeve 18-Inch Long with Thumb Slot Helps Prevent Scrapes ,Scratches Skin Irritations UV-Protection Yellow

They are $20, worth skipping a few lunches for.

Here is the picture

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a hint - to keep finger dexterity, which you need you have to ot wear gloves with fingers, but you can put bandaids around your first joint and cuticles. It helps, a lot.

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much.
We went to the vet today, again they said the fur pulling could be nerves/stress.. I guess it's just a waiting game.

They did put her on a new round of antibiotics, a tablet for a virus and some powder stuff to help lift the mucus.
The tablets are a god send compared to the syrup amazing what you can hide in some meat

My oldest cat is now coughing so I am completely up the wall. I asked should I bring him to my vet to catch whatever it could be straight away but they said to wait a few days.

I'm usually called a drama queen if my cats seem the slightest bit unwell but I was wondering if you could give me an outsiders perspective and tell me how long would you wait. He has had three coughing spells today,(That I have seen) not harsh more like a clearing of the throat. No temp and is eating as normal but doesn't really have any interest in playing or his bottle caps... and they are his favourites.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, but is there any chance you can get a video of the coughing and send it to your vet, telling them your concerns of decreased activity and the frequency of the coughing?
If not, and he's still not right and still coughing tomorrow, I think I'd go in.
:vibes::crossfingers:

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I don't know, but is there any chance you can get a video of the coughing and send it to your vet, telling them your concerns of decreased activity and the frequency of the coughing?
I wouldn't have an email address to send it to as it was the shelters vet I was with today.

They are holding the adoption until Chloe gets the all clear bill of health.

I think I might just take Kevin up to my own vet tomorrow. Is it likely to catch a bug this early?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh by the way, did anything in those articles above, the tea or the music help regarding lowering stress and hopefully decreasing the hair pulling?

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well there has been a huge improvement in comparison to when I posted about it.

The chamomile tea worked a little I think.
But the music has been amazing I have it on most of the time for her.

We got a couple of looks in the waiting room with the music playing but it helped soothe her big time.

I actually got a soa+ itch be gone soap and bathed her her coat actually feels cleaner I think that also helped her.

I would highly recommend it to anyone for their animals it treats so much and it's 100% natural aswel