Kitten prefers adult food

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first day I had my new kitten, he went after my adult cat's science diet optimal care (he's on SD kitten, its what the shelter gave me) so I put my other cat's food on top of the dryre because he can reach it and the kitten couldn't.

Well, today the kitten found a way to get up on the dryer. We have built in shelves next to it, and he jumps on the first one to help gap the distance. I blocked it up, but he REALLY wanted to get up there so he found another way (I am still baffled. I watched him try to make the jump and barely get his front paws on the dryer top).

Are there any suggesions on how I could get my kitten to stop eating adult food? The dryer is the largest vertical differntial in the house, so there's no place I can put my cat's food that is out of reach of the kitten.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
can you feed in seprate rooms? how old is the kitten>?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed in seperate rooms. The kitten (3 months) gets fed in my bedroom, and my other cat gets fed across the apartment in the laundry room. I feed wet food and keep a bowl of dry food out all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So.... other than asking me questions then not responding, anyone have some advice on this subject?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are the grown up kitties eating?

Normally I would say separate them... Is it possible to meal feed them , ie not leave dry out all the time?

Usually it is the older cats eating kitten food, which is solved via food in space big enough for kitten but to small for bigger cats

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about switching all of them to an all stage food? What are the adults eating, and how old is the kitten?
Can you do that and feed the kitten canned kitten food?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend doing away with the SD kibble all together and putting both cats on a good quality canned food.

My kitten refused to eat any kitten kibble, and is eating a variety of canned cat foods, wellness grain free: the flavors she gets are chicken, turkey and chicken&beef, Blue healthy gourmet flaked chicken and Petite Cuisine Sesame Chicken. She also does eat the wellness canned kitten but will eat only a small amount of it at one time.

She is supplemented with the kibble Innova "kittens and cats" currently. I tend to vary kibble as I don't feed it as meals, only as snacks. Next kibble may be a Blue formula.

I am not a nutrition expert but this works for us. None of the kitten labels I read seemed much, if any, different than the foods I am feeding as far as GA (guaranteed analysis).

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi rad65,

Sorry for not replying sooner. But I just saw this post. I would like to ask what brand of adult dry cat food do you feed your adult cats? Now depending on what that is I will give my opinion on if that is alright to feed your kitten.

But this is my OPINION on feeding cats. If you use a good quality wet or dry food for your adult cats and your kitten likes it better then the kitten food you desire the animal to eat, then I feel it is better to feed the kitten the adult cat food.

I feed the following dry foods: Iams, Eukanuba and Purina One. I also feed a teaspoon of Iams adult wet food mixed with any of the above dry foods one time a day. Which they all eat with gusto.

I feel the most important thing when feeding a kitten or a cat is to feed a diet that is primarily meat. Since cats in nature are obligate carnivores. Hence the more protein in the adult food the better it will be for the kitten.

Remember the first two ingredients in cat food are what make up most of the cat food. So try and pick food that that is primarily meat within the first two ingredients.

Also two of my four cats would not eaten kitten food when I got them. But would eat the adult foods described above. Panda who is now almost a year old is to date my largest cat (tall and long wise). She ate only the above diet and grew into a fine cat
. My newest cat is only five months old and is becoming a very long and lean cat from the diet described above.

I am a licensed vet tech. So I have some formal training (college) in this field. Not just hands on experience.

Lastly and most importantly I feel that adult size and health is partially genetic. Due to the fact I have seen adult cats fed on "poor quality" diets such as Meow Mix grow into big and healthy adult cats.