Kitten possibly stung by a honeybee, anyone have experience with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feelinfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think one of my kittens was stung by a bee. I got home a couple days ago and one of his cheeks was swollen. (We have three bee hives on the property so I'm assuming it's just a bee sting.) He's acting completely fine, eating and drinking, mouth looks normal, and he's not lethargic. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet if the swelling doesn't go down... I'm just hesitant because it might just be a sting and I might be rushing the healing? I've been stung, but have never had an animal get stung before.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a cat (or dog) that was stung by a honeybee, how long was the sting swollen for?
20200908_163523_HDR.jpg
koi

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have any experience here other than this picture I came across a year or two ago. Keep an eye on him. As long as his input and output are good, keep an eye on the swelling. If anything gets worse, take him into the vet. Otherwise, I imagine he’ll be good next week.

This is a cat that was stung by a bee. He recovered.
9D355E1A-47B4-4C64-8C71-23416F5486EC.jpeg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat sting by a bee on its paw. Swelling went down after a few hours. I think we also gave it Benadryl as a precaution.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, assuming that there aren't any other issues at play such as allergies to bees, a single sting from a honeybee would have approximately the same effect on a cat as it would a human.

You can probably take the same first aid measures, as well. Try to remove the stinger, if you can do it without too much pain or difficulty. Apply a paste of water and baking soda to counteract the venom. Clean the wound with soap and water. Put some ointment on it if you want. Cover it with a bandage if you can. Call a doctor or vet if you have questions or problems.

If there is swelling or discomfort that lasts for more than a short time, take Benadryl and call a doctor or vet.

I know it's not much fun to be stung but, unless there are unforeseen circumstances, there shouldn't be much to worry about.

I used to have a dog that would eat bees...catch them in his mouth...and get stung, multiple times a day but he kept right on doing it. It never seemed to hurt him much. We tried to get him to stop but he didn't seem to care.

Let's hope, with your kitten, that this will be a learning experience that teaches him to stay away from bees in the future. ;)

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got stung myself, some years ago, by a wild honeybee. Effects lasted for 7-8 days, but it took some months for the skin to completely heal. No medication, but it was very unpleasant. Ice cubes (tip: refrigerated peas) didnt help me much.

Patience (if you are 100% sure it is a honeybee sting).

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Estella was stung on her face last year. She had to go to the vet because she swelled up pretty badly. They gave her a shot and we had to give her Benadryl for the next two days.

The video I have of her after the Benadryl shot is pretty funny, and I wish I could post it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feelinfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think one of my kittens was stung by a bee. I got home a couple days ago and one of his cheeks was swollen. (We have three bee hives on the property so I'm assuming it's just a bee sting.) He's acting completely fine, eating and drinking, mouth looks normal, and he's not lethargic. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet if the swelling doesn't go down... I'm just hesitant because it might just be a sting and I might be rushing the healing? I've been stung, but have never had an animal get stung before.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had a cat (or dog) that was stung by a honeybee, how long was the sting swollen for? View attachment 350497koi
So this was actually an abscess which I was thinking it could be. It popped, I cleaned it and applied an antibiotic and medicine. (Manuka honey and cannabis oil, I've had success with this application before with another cat that I have.) Thanks for all the help. Now I know a sting will only be for a few days.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat has a ruptured abscess, get him to a vet POST-HASTE!

Stop applying snake oil remedies and get him some actual medicine! Honey is NOT an antibiotic, no matter what some slick looking advertisements say.

If there really is a ruptured abscess, the very minimum that can happen is permanent scarring. Your cat could very easily get sick and die from infection, left untreated.

Quit mucking about, pretending to be a doctor, and get your cat some REAL medical attention!

PLEASE!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What the above states is very true, abscesses are capable of causing massive infections. The problem I had is that most of the cats that received them were feral and impossible to bring in. It also happened with regularity until I had them neutered if I could catch them, then it was much less. I have had feral cats that often had abscesses. Once it has ruptured it will start draining, and the healing process will begin. The main danger is before it ruptures and the infection could spread systemically. I NEVER lost a cat to an abscess, and I have literally treated hundreds. If you have the money to treat them and can monitor them for any changes due to a spreading infection, that is the best. If your cat goes outside, they are prone to abscesses from other cat bites. I kept antibiotic on hand to start giving when I noticed the swelling. Your cat should be started on an antibiotic, I get the liquid kind and put it in tuna juice or Hartz Lickable treats. Triple antibiotic or cat wound salve could be applied too, to the wound area to keep it moist and draining, which it needs. You might keep some Benadryl on hand too for bee stings I had a cat that got stung often and got tremors and a real increase in breathing. I gave 1mg. per pound as my vet ordered, get capsules and open them, putting back in what you need. A regular 25mg capsule (or pill) cut in half, will dose a 12.5 lb. cat. Be ready for foaming at the mouth, they absolutely hate the very bitter taste. If at all possible try to get them to swallow it buried in a tiny amount of cheese. It is best to consult a vet before giving anything, remember that. I took my beloved Burt in for an abscess and they cut him open from shoulder to tip of toes, it was horrible. Much worse then the abscess itself!

Last edited:

Feelinfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have cured my own cat before wirh just Cannabis oil, like I said previously, this remedy has worked for my animal (and my own friends staph infection). Jusomebody with a license... Thanks for all the opinions. Not treating my cat with snake oil remedies. MANUKA honey is one of the best antibiotics out there. Research it before talking nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Never had a CAT stung by a bee, but my dog Benito has been stung by wasps before and we've given him benedryl for the swelling. I'd call your vet to get the appropriate dosage for your cat though and see what they think first

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'd really recommend taking your cat to the vet. Once an abscess has burst the infected puss will drain, but the cat has an open wound that bacteria can get into. It's also very painful for the cat.

You need a vet to clean the wound and prescribe some antibiotics. By all means use honey topically if you wish, but proper medication will prevent the infection from spreading.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Research it before talking nonsense.
You're talking to a trained chemistry technician.

The reason why honey appears to work as an antibiotic is because it is a supersaturated solution of sugar with only about 15% water.
Honey will tend to attract water from surrounding tissues to which it is applied via the process of diffusion and begin to draw water out of surrounding cells by osmosis, thereby drying out any bacterial cells.

That does not mean honey is a substitute for an antibiotic because it does not travel through the body. It only works on the area where it is applied. What happens if the bacteria in the cat's abscess gets into his bloodstream and starts infecting other organs? Dead cat! That's what happens!

There is also a chance...small but real...that honey could contain botulism spores.
And you want to spread that on your cat's open wound?

If left untreated, it is possible that an abscess can cause tissue damage and permanent scarring, disfiguring the cat for life.
The abscess can also start to grow again. If it does, the bacteria inside could start to grow again. If that happens, the infection could get into his blood. You could end up with a very sick cat and it is possible that he could die from it.

Just, simply call a vet. Have the vet clean the abscess out to get rid of the pus and dead tissue. Have him use antiseptic and, if necessary dress the wound properly.

Just do that much!

Go ahead and use your honey *IN ADDITION TO* any treatments that your vet prescribes, if you really want to, but not instead of.

Feelinfeline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's doing just great at home. Cleaned up thoroughly, no necrotic tissue, always has antibiotics applied.... Looking 75% better already! He is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

CarlyRose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had chronic lyme and conventional medicine (big pharma antibiotics) only made me worse. I used alternative medicine or some called it snake oil and after being sick for 10 years I got 100% better in 1 year.

Here is a link to the benefits of Manuka Honey based on Science:

That said I still help people who have chronic lyme and many of them sting themselves with bees and have healed.

Ancient medicine has been around forever and if one has an open mind they could learn so much.

Glad you kitten is doing better!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't afford to run to the vet with every injury and illness with my cats, I can barely afford to get my ferals vaccinated and neutered. I just found it cheaper in the long run. I have treated hundreds of abscesses,illnesses, and wounds. Like I said when they did surgery on the abscess it was a hundred times worse and took twice as long to heal. My vet will give me over the counter antibiotics for my feral s so I don't have to bring them in. I am an RN so he trusts me. I have lost many cats too, not due to me but to the road and diseases like distemper beyond my help. You sound competent, I salute you!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Mod Note

Some posts have been deleted from this thread as they violated TCS Forum Rules. We will lock this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.