Kitten Pooping Problem

Alexdbuor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6mo old Ragdoll cat gets poop on herself everytime she goes no. 2. I've trimmed the hair around her butt already but she still manages to get poop on her! It's becoming very tiresome to clean her everyday... sometimes twice a day. I'd love to get some ideas on how to deal with the problem. Thank you!
P. S. Her poop is solid, no diarrhea.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Alexdbour. Since I can only dream about and admire Ragdolls I can't offer any advice but to suggest that you contact some quality groomers in your area who have experience with this breed and see if they can offer some insight if no one here comes to the rescue.

It could also be a factor here, that the right TCS member has yet to see or is unaware of your post. Perhaps someone here knows a little trick to get the word out for ya. My brain told me to ask myself if there may be any previous threads that may have answered this issue already, but I somehow allowed myself to get pulled down the proverbial "rabbit hole" of internet videos on Ragdolls. YIKES! Such a gorgeous breed.

Got any good pics you could share on the appropriate forum thread?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I somehow allowed myself to get pulled down the proverbial "rabbit hole" of internet videos on Ragdolls
LOL

So, you could try an even closer trim (carefully of course :) ), and be sure to also trim the underside of her tail if you didn't, as well as those back leg feathers.

Also, I'm thinking her poop is sticky. What if you tried a gentle transition to a different food, start out with a small amount of the new food on the plate with the old, then increase the quantity of the new/decrease the old over a few days.

Are you feeding her canned food? In any case, even if so, still try a different brand, and maybe add in some kibble.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)
Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most
Raw Feeding Cats: Types Of Raw Diets & Feeding Options

There are probiotics you could try to help her digestion function better, one that has been mentioned by members is animal essentials plant enzyme. chewy and amazon have it or you could order directly from their website.

Best of luck!!

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can Ragdolls get what the military calls a "high'n tight" haircut? (rabbit hole ended with me staring at Brad Pitt's and other Celebs High & Tight photos.)

My vet has what they call a "Sani-cut" for medium to long-haired cats. I have two medium-hairs and that backside grows out faster than a patch of unchecked weeds on the front lawn.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Heh. Be very glad it’s solid and that she doesn’t have diarrhea! I have two long-haired cats, and I do trim carefully around their butts and down the backs of their legs...those beautiful pantaloons that seem to reach out and grab on to poop. I use an electric grooming razor. It’s a very quiet one, and they’re used to it now. And even though I mourn the loss of that gorgeous fur, that’s a small price to pay to not have to clean poop or, much worse, diarrhea off of a squirming cat.

I like Furballsmom Furballsmom ‘s thought about sticky poop.

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use an electric grooming razor. It’s a very quiet one, and they’re used to it now.
Hi Tobermorey. Would you believe this statement of yours stuck to my brain ever since you posted it? I have been seeking the perfect pair of clippers that are quieter than a vacuum cleaner. I have a decent Andis 5-speed which aren't so bad at the lower speeds, but I have yet to use it on the mat monster.

I picked up a Lithium powered Wahl pet clipper the other day, where the packaging stated that they were "Ultra Quiet." They are the loudest clippers I have in the home...including my personal ones. They even startled me when I turned them on. Rushing these back to Wal-mart without so much as sampling their clipping.

May I ask what brand and model clippers are these you mentioned?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Tobermorey. Would you believe this statement of yours stuck to my brain ever since you posted it? I have been seeking the perfect pair of clippers that are quieter than a vacuum cleaner. I have a decent Andis 5-speed which aren't so bad at the lower speeds, but I have yet to use it on the mat monster.

I picked up a Lithium powered Wahl pet clipper the other day, where the packaging stated that they were "Ultra Quiet." They are the loudest clippers I have in the home...including my personal ones. They even startled me when I turned them on. Rushing these back to Wal-mart without so much as sampling their clipping.

May I ask what brand and model clippers are these you mentioned?
I learn all kinds of things on TCS! I just wish I could remember half of it. :)

Mine’s an Andis, too: the Andis Cordless Animal Trimmer, Equine and Livestock Grooming, D-4 (32130). I’ve had it for years. It was about $25, and it may be a case of you get what you pay for. You’ll see it gets poor reviews on Amazon, but I haven’t had the problems that other people mentioned in their reviews. It charges well and holds it. I’d probably give it 3.5 stars out of 5. It is quiet and lightweight, and the cats don’t mind it. It doesn’t have a lot of power and you have to go over the same place more than once, but I think it works fine. I’m surprised that something marketed as a pet clipper would be so noisy. Isn’t that annoying!

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Ragdolls and usually do not have that problem, only when they were small kittens, and that once in a while. I did trim their bum hair at the time. I supplement in their food with "a little" 100% pure carrot paste and sprinkle powder probiotics. It helps for a healthy poo consistency that does not stick.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I learn all kinds of things on TCS! I just wish I could remember half of it. :)

Mine’s an Andis, too: the Andis Cordless Animal Trimmer, Equine and Livestock Grooming, D-4 (32130). I’ve had it for years. It was about $25, and it may be a case of you get what you pay for. You’ll see it gets poor reviews on Amazon, but I haven’t had the problems that other people mentioned in their reviews. It charges well and holds it. I’d probably give it 3.5 stars out of 5. It is quiet and lightweight, and the cats don’t mind it. It doesn’t have a lot of power and you have to go over the same place more than once, but I think it works fine. I’m surprised that something marketed as a pet clipper would be so noisy. Isn’t that annoying!
Hi Tobermorey. Thank you for the info. I will surely check them out while holiday shopping online. I need a go-too razer for the "I gotta do this now" moments and not have to concern myself with pulling out and plugging in the long corded clipper. You have a happy, awesome and safe holiday season.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have Ragdolls and usually do not have that problem, only when they were small kittens, and that once in a while. I did trim their bum hair at the time. I supplement in their food with "a little" 100% pure carrot paste and sprinkle powder probiotics. It helps for a healthy poo consistency that does not stick.
Hmmm...taking notes of your supplement recommendation. Carrot paste huh. Never dawned on me that such existed. Now I know. Thank you :-)