Kitten pooping outside the litter box

Jjam19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I got a kitten a couple weeks ago and ever since then I’ll find the occasional surprise outside the litter box.
He is litter box trained and 90% of the time he uses it.
I really would like if he didn’t poop outside the box and was looking for advice or any tips on how to correct this.
He’s a little over 2 months and has no health issues that I know of, although he has pretty runny poops. He never pees outside the box only poops
Any info/ advice/ tips are welcome!
Thank you :)

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to the site!

Runny poops sounds like a health issue to me and is a likely cause of the accidents. I would make an appointment with a vet to get the diarrhea checked out.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hello,

I got a kitten a couple weeks ago and ever since then I’ll find the occasional surprise outside the litter box.
He is litter box trained and 90% of the time he uses it.
I really would like if he didn’t poop outside the box and was looking for advice or any tips on how to correct this.
He’s a little over 2 months and has no health issues that I know of, although he has pretty runny poops. He never pees outside the box only poops
Any info/ advice/ tips are welcome!
Thank you :)
I wonder whether he's had a change of food at all? If his poop is has always been runny, or if there's no apparent reason like a change of diet, then a vet check may be needed.
We have a great 'everything you ever wanted to know about cats and litter boxes' article here