Kitten poop - very dark? (Gross picture!)

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I saw Winnie pooping tonight and noticed what was coming out looked super dark. Her poos have always been on the darker side since I switched her to wet food, but this outcoming poo was really dark!

I did what any normal person would do and politely waited for her to finish, then dug it out of her box and mashed a piece apart with a plastic fork.

There is some of her cat grass in there - some hair - and really it just looks like somewhat too dry poo. It is not tarry, I don't think? The darkness is very uniform.

I'm leaning towards possibly it's dehydration? She used to drink a good amount, but I rarely see her drink anymore now that she's not copying everything my dog does, and I also stopped adding water to her wet food in hopes of her eating more of it - I discovered she likes... like... little cubes of pate food, which they won't hold their shape with the water added.

For what she is eating... well she is super picky. So she is getting something different almost every meal. I can't recall all that she ate since her last poo yesterday, but yesterday+today, she has had:

Instinct Kitten wet
Tikicat Rabbit pate wet
Weruva Lamb Burgini wet
Whole Earth Farms Duck wet
Purina Pro Plan Savor Kitten Salmon & Tuna wet
Tiny Tiger Chicken Pate wet

A few pellets of dry food - Dr Elsey salmon / chicken

That seems like a lot of food but she only eats less than 1oz per feeding :\ This is not new for her either. I don't know if she is just super picky, doesn't like the foods, or just gets bored of eating, or if it's really just all she needs since all cats are different. I feel like she'll eat for a long time, but then I weigh out what she ate it isn't usually an ounce or less! She spends a lot of time licking.
She has gained over a lb since our last vet visit about 3 weeks ago, so she is gaining despite averaging 200 or so calories a day - some days it's as low as 170, some days it's as high as 345. On days that she eats in the 300s, the next day she seems to eat a lot less. She is currently 4.6lbs and just hit 5 months.
I also peaked at her gums and they are pink.
Her behavior is normal and hasn't changed recently.

Here is a pic of the poo.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hard to say.. dark brown is considered good, and that is more on the side of black, but I'm not sure I'd be concerned. Bleeding is the usual cause of black faeces, and the fact you've mentioned 'tarry' indicates you're probably aware of that, as that's another sign.
If you're worried, get the vet to check it out.

Sounds like she's very well cared for. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Swttea

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah i’m trying not to panic. I can be pretty intense about my animals health! She seems absolutely fine... I’m in bed right now and there is a lightning bug stuck in my room. She is going absolutely bonkers.

I opened up a can of Weruva for her, funk in the trunk. It’s 86% moisture and has pumpkin. Also added some water to it. I hope it’s just dehydration. I also read rabbit and lamb foods, as well as organ means can cause dark stool - she had all 3 yesterday (lamb, rabbit, and I forgot she had Tiny Tiger turkey & giblet).

It’s just.. so dark. I want to say it’s very dark brown but yeah, it seems black! But the remnants on the paper towel did come away as brown.

I’ll watch closely for her next poo and her demeanor. I have a vet appointment on Saturday so I hope we’re good until then.