Kitten penis stuck out?

snowkitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, so I'm very worried right now. Today I took my foster kitten to the vet to get his second tapeworm shot and they also gave him his first vaccine. Tonight while he was laying on my bed, he started grooming himself and I noticed his penis was sticking out a little? I'm not sure if it was his penis but it was a little pink thing. He's not sticking it out anymore and seems to be acting as normal. He also peed in his box like normal. I'm not sure if it could be a reaction to the vaccine? Is that even possible? He's never done this before (I will mention though that in the first weeks I took him in, his genital area seemed a little pinkish, but eventually it went away , so I thought it could be just some irritation from being outside.)

Anyways, I'm really worried bc he's going to his new family tomorrow and I'm worried that it's gonna happen again :( like I said, he seems to be acting normal but he's only around 9 week old rn and I don't know if that is normal. :(

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A nine week old kitten is probably equal in age to a six year old kid.
Young boys sometimes get erections. It's normal and it has nothing to do with sex. (Unless there has been abuse but that's a whole different kettle of fish.)

What is happening is that the kitten's body is growing and his "boy parts" are starting to work and he's just starting to discover that he's a boy.

There might be some problems that can cause something like this to happen but, as long as your cat's penis doesn't come out often and he doesn't show signs of discomfort or distress, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If it happens frequently or lasts a long time, if he shows signs of discomfort or if there seems to be something physically wrong, call the vet.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Caspers Human Caspers Human is exactly right. He is young to be feeling his hormones quite yet, but the stimulation of grooming is probably what caused it. The analogy to little boy bodies was perfect. I reared two of those, and things start getting active far younger than one would expect.

Advise his new family that if they notice it, to make sure it doesn't persist more than a few minutes. However, I'm betting it won't.