Kitten pees when sleeping

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 4 and a half month old neutered male kitten that sometimes lets out a little urine while he sleeps. It’s happened now twice in the past few days ( in two different spots). Is this normal? He uses the litter box fine to pee so why would this be happening? Also any recommendations on products to remove the smell of urine?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You want a good enzymatic cleaner for the smell. If you're in the USA, "Nature's Miracle" is pretty good. As for why...first, it may be that he is sleeping VERY deeply, and becomes totally relaxed. However, if it keeps up, have his vet take a look at him. Sometimes bladder and litter box issues are the very first signs of an illness creeping up.

Question for you...Is your baby four and a half YEARS old, or four and a half MONTHS old? You said "years," but refer to him as a kitten, and I wanted to be sure I was getting this right...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You want a good enzymatic cleaner for the smell. If you're in the USA, "Nature's Miracle" is pretty good. As for why...first, it may be that he is sleeping VERY deeply, and becomes totally relaxed. However, if it keeps up, have his vet take a look at him. Sometimes bladder and litter box issues are the very first signs of an illness creeping up.

Question for you...Is your baby four and a half YEARS old, or four and a half MONTHS old? You said "years," but refer to him as a kitten, and I wanted to be sure I was getting this right...
Sorry! I meant kitten. He is four and a half months old. So it can just be he is a deep sleeper and is that normal? He uses the litte box just fine and recently had bloodwork done and was good.

I left a message with me vet to see what she thinks. I just was curious if this was a kitten thing or something that happens to perfectly healthy cats. Thanks for your advice!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, this is unusual...however, I've seen it rarely in kittens who have been playing VERY hard. They just sleep absurdly deeply. I do want to know what the vet says.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet confirmed that this is not normal so she wants to see him next week. She said it could be an anatomical issue so she will examine him thoroughly. He’s only done it twice so far and I’ve been sniffing everything he sleeps on. It might just happen every so often. I’m really hoping it’s nothing too complicated or serious.

It’s been a really stressful experience for me adopting these two kittens. I’m dealing with health issues in both kitties (my other kitten has chronic diarrhea that we are trying to resolve but it’s slow going 😞). I thought this other kitten was fine but now this issue has sprung up. Even my vet says it’s completely not normal to have all these issues with kittens. I guess it’s my luck! They are great kittens I just wish they got healthy.

Mini8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just adding an update. Vet looked him over and doesn’t see anything that looks concerning. He also hasn’t had any leakage since last week so we will continue to monitor and if he has more leaks while sleeping my vet says we can do an ultrasound.