Kitten pees on our bed

leo the cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha ha ha, I absolutely love those posts

As many other users- I've got exactly the same problem with my 16 weeks' old Leo

Will place the litter right next to my bed tonight!!!

WISH ME LUCK  

tuufy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI

I have the same problem, so I tried the changing of the bedding texture, 1st night was fine, second night was not she peed on it, although in fairness to her it was in the same spot as before so she may have smelt the pee smell despite me cleaning the bed and spraying it with white vinegar!!

I even had the litter box on the end of the bed!!!!!

Any other ideas?

She also has very soft poo?

fluffynut

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Instead of letting bubby sleep on your bed (& make wet patches), have you tried placing something that he/she likes in his/her sleeping basket and spray that bedding with a bit of Catnip Spray?  Do you have a sleeping basket for bubby?  That is what should be at the end of your bed.  When bubby jumps on bed to sleep at night, gently remove and pop in sleeping basket with a favourite toy.

Litter trays do not go well in bedrooms - unless absolutely enormous in size 20' x 20' .

Are you keeping Litter Tray clear of  used bits?  Clean them away as soon as you become aware.

You would be disgusted to find someone had not flushed your toilet - same with cats. Nor would I be pleased with a toilet in my bedroom!

Cats are fussier  and cleaner  than many people. That's why they are so lovely!

Loose faecal movement is usually food related.  Too much dry food can do it. It may be an intolerance to whatever you are serving.

Check what you are feeding and remember, NO MILK, only bowls of water for pussycats.

Ask the pet shop staff, or drop in to any Vet and ask them for food advice.

Good luck!

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
response to Tuufy:

Vinegar will not be enough to completely rid the bedspread of the urine scent (that may not be detectable to you, but cats have a sharper sense of smell) so that might explain why she peed there again.  I would get some proper pet urine cleaner like "Nature's Miracle" (most pet supply stores sell it...like PetsMart, Petco, etc) and wash bedspread again and pour some of the Nature's Miracle into the wash with it and let it soak for a few hours in the wash before the actual wash cycle.  

How old is your cat, Tuufy? 

What do you feed her?   Does she have diarrhea or just quite soft poops?   Do you give her milk?

how long have you had her for?

mary-margaret

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 week old kitten started doing this when he was just 7 weeks old. I am disabled and have a very hard time changing the bed and washing my King size down comforter. So I started covering the bed with plastic during the day. I don't take it off until bedtime after I send him and his 2 siblings and their mother outside the bedroom. He hasn't urinated on the plastic at all.  Hopefully, he will grow out of this. Incidentally, the kittens have  their own litterbo and my husband makes sure it's very clean. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
M mary-margaret , is your kitten urinating anywhere else in the house? Had he been checked by the vet to rule out a UTI? If a kitten was using the litter box and then suddenly starts eliminating elsewhere (even if he is still using the litter box) there can be a medical reason why.

If he is medically cleared, having more than one litte box (the general rule of thumb is on litter box per cat plus one) can fix the issue. Some cats won't go where they poop and others simply won't share a litter box.

elicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 9 week old kitten started doing this the first few nights we brought him home. 

After the initial 48 hours of being in his safe room, I let him sleep in my bedroom at night. All snuggled up he was an angel the first night, we had an open litter box at the end of our bed. No problems. 

Then the second night I was awoken at 6:30am to a bed full of urine. I assumed he was stuck on the bed and didn't make it down in time (he peed at the end of the bed). 

Next night was the same, peed on the end of the bed. From then on we left him on the floor in case he was having trouble getting down from the bed. The little devil climbed up and did the same thing again. 

Every night his had happened the sheets and blanket were spot cleaned with pet urine enzyme cleaner and washed with regular clothing detergent. 

It has been a week now and he uses the box 99% of the time but whenever he climbs of the bed I'm on the look out because just yesterday he peed on my bag (which was on the bed), and just now 24 hours later he peed on the bed once more. 

I just took him to the vet TODAY and they assured me he would grow out of it and to return if it persisted. 

FYI: I have a 5 month old male kitten in the house also, they are separated when not supervised. A total of four litterboxes in the house at the moment, one open in the bathroom, one open in the bedroom, one closed in the sunroom and one closed in the lounge room. 

milo8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have exactly the same issue. Vet checked, No UTi, healthy poo, regularly users litter boxes in basement (very clean). We have 2 litter trays as we have 2 cats (same age same litter brothers.) but one pees one on our bed every night. We have changed quilts (taken to cleaners as well as enzyme sprayed) and not reused bed linen after thorough washing (Just in case they could smell it). The only consistent part is peeing on bed when I get into it. I just don't get it. Please advise. We brought the 2 brothers the home from breeders 1 week ago at 4 months old and the breeder had no issues.

elicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fortunately Milo8 my kitten did grow out of it. After the initial two weeks of havoc he finally started using ONLY the litter box as a toilet. I did have to wash the linens and quilt around 10x times a week though. We barred him from the bedroom when we were not supervising him and did not allow him to sleep with us for the first few weeks after he began to pee on the bed. After around two weeks he got the message. We also reintroduced the bed to him with toys so he would think the bed was a fun area, not a toilet area. 

I hope this advice helped! Good luck to you, it seems like you'll need it~ 

psiangelic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat did this twice. I attributed it to stress because he was asleep when it happened.

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Fortunately Milo8 my kitten did grow out of it. After the initial two weeks of havoc he finally started using ONLY the litter box as a toilet. I did have to wash the linens and quilt around 10x times a week though. We barred him from the bedroom when we were not supervising him and did not allow him to sleep with us for the first few weeks after he began to pee on the bed. After around two weeks he got the message. We also reintroduced the bed to him with toys so he would think the bed was a fun area, not a toilet area. 

I hope this advice helped! Good luck to you, it seems like you'll need it~ 
What a nightmare! My 3 month old kitten did this when I first got him, No medical issues, he could get up and down from the bed no problem, and used the litter box plenty. But most days or nights he would either pee or even poo on my bed (sometimes I was even in the bed).

I attributed it to stress as he just came to a new home and had been through a lot, but I was devastated and did not know what to do. I tried all the behavioral sprays, relaxation vitamins, feliway plugins...none of that seemed to work all that $$$ later.  Then I tried EliCats advice, and completely made the bedroom off limits for a full week. I am a pathetic cat mom and even slept in the living room so he wouldn't be alone, and then gradually introduced him back to the bedroom...letting him in there when I was home to supervise, it was smooth sailing from there, 2 months later and NO issues.   

vderks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 week old kitten that just this weekend started peeing on ME. First I was sitting on the sofa with my blanket watching TV the kitten was snuggled up with me on the blanket and he peed on the blanket. The next day, almost the same thing but he peed on the sofa itself. Then this morning, I was making the bed and he was up there 'helping me' and he peed right in front of me (almost in my hands). We have two litter mates and an adult cat. This kitten is a male and he was neutered two weeks ago. The others are female, adult spayed, kitten scheduled this week to be spayed. They all use our litter boxes and we keep them clean. This 'feels' to me like he is marking me. After reading this thread will add an additional litter box tonight. Other than cleaning and Nature's Miracle everything, not sure what else to do. If he wasn't already neutered, I'd say do that, but oh well.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 week old kitten that just this weekend started peeing on ME. First I was sitting on the sofa with my blanket watching TV the kitten was snuggled up with me on the blanket and he peed on the blanket. The next day, almost the same thing but he peed on the sofa itself. Then this morning, I was making the bed and he was up there 'helping me' and he peed right in front of me (almost in my hands). We have two litter mates and an adult cat. This kitten is a male and he was neutered two weeks ago. The others are female, adult spayed, kitten scheduled this week to be spayed. They all use our litter boxes and we keep them clean. This 'feels' to me like he is marking me. After reading this thread will add an additional litter box tonight. Other than cleaning and Nature's Miracle everything, not sure what else to do. If he wasn't already neutered, I'd say do that, but oh well.
While adding another litter box is a great idea, I also suggest checking him for a UTI, especially since he is young and was neutered very likely before there were any hormones in his system.

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

What a nightmare! My 3 month old kitten did this when I first got him, No medical issues, he could get up and down from the bed no problem, and used the litter box plenty. But most days or nights he would either pee or even poo on my bed (sometimes I was even in the bed).

I attributed it to stress as he just came to a new home and had been through a lot, but I was devastated and did not know what to do. I tried all the behavioral sprays, relaxation vitamins, feliway plugins...none of that seemed to work all that $$$ later.  Then I tried EliCats advice, and completely made the bedroom off limits for a full week. I am a pathetic cat mom and even slept in the living room so he wouldn't be alone, and then gradually introduced him back to the bedroom...letting him in there when I was home to supervise, it was smooth sailing from there, 2 months later and NO issues.   
I spoke too soon....he did it again last night and I don't know why....it's been months without this happening....