Kitten Peeing Too Much?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On last Thursady I rescued a tiny kitten.
I had seen her wandering among some garbage bins for a few days, but was never able to catch her, I even lost sight of her for 4 days and thought she was dead. It was over 95°F outside, not a drop of rain. Eventually I did catch her on Thursday, at 8 pm, after over 2 hours of waiting with my trap cage.

Once home she showed to be a quiet kitten, not a hiss, not a scratch or bite. She let me bathe her under the tap in the bathroom sink, she let me rub her dry with a towel and let me dry her up with the hairdrier.
She was used to the food dishes, the litterbox and some toys.
She's very lovely, loving, purring, affectionate, and quiet. She doesn't howl at night or destroy anything in the house. She loves to knead on me while purring loudly.

I believe she's been dumped by someone.

The vet visited her on the following morning, and said the kitten is healthy. A fecal test revealed ringworms for which she's been treated with Nemex (Pyrantel). The kitten also had some fleas, she was treated with a slight spray of Frontline.
She's eating fine, poops are rather firm, though I'm giving her Fortiflora every morning.
The vet said the kitten was 6 weeks old (now she's 7 weeks old) on that day, I had first seen her 10 days before catching her, so she was about 4 weeks old when she was dumped.
Her weight was 650 grams (1 lb 7 oz) when I found her, but she's gaining weight quickly.

The problem is that she pees a lot, I think. I am using a clumping litter, and I dispose of not less than 12 tiny clumps a day, and at least 3 poops.
I think I remember that someone had told me that kittens pee a lot because they have a tiny bladder and a poor control of it.
What can you say about it?

The bad side is that on Sunday she pooped on the couch before our eyes. I thought she was confused and couldn't find the litterbox, and this was the excuse I used to keep my wife calm in that moment.
Last night I saw her crouching again on the couch and ran to her to lift her, but she was already peeing!!!
I took her to the box while she was still peeing along the way, so I had to wipe the floor clean while my wife was asking me what had happened.
I told her the kitten had lost some drops of pee, I didn't tell her that the kitten had peed on the couch, which I sprayed with an enzymatic cleaner at midnight so that this morning there could be no traces of the crime.
But I don't know how long I and the kitten will be that lucky.
On both occasions the litterbox was available and at reach distance, the kitten knows where it is, but it seems that when she's playing or in the window sill, she forgets about it and finds the nearby couch handier.

What could it be the reason for such a behavior?
Is it normal for a kitten to go wrong so often?

We can't trust her and can't leave her on her own when we can't keep an eye on her, so currently she has to live in the corridor, where she has her things, but there's no sunlight.

I'm waiting for some tips, thanks ;)

Kitten_01.jpg

Here she is, on Saturday afternoon.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would give a call to the vet. It is possible she could have a UTI. It also might be wise to keep her confined in one small space where she has access to the litter box all the time. She is little and possibly when the urge hits, the box is too far away. Try confining her as well as giving the vet a call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give a call to the vet. It is possible she could have a UTI. It also might be wise to keep her confined in one small space where she has access to the litter box all the time. She is little and possibly when the urge hits, the box is too far away. Try confining her as well as giving the vet a call.
I'm rather sure she hasn't a UTI, but asking the vet is a good idea anyway.
As far as she is confined in the corridor no problems arise, everything is at hand.
The couch is about 4 meters (12 ft) away from the litter box, no big distance after all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is so cute!! I think she needs a smaller area to be confined to until she is older. Or, if you don't want to do that, get multiple litter boxes and place them nearby all the areas you let her into.

If you can catch some of her pee in a sterile container, you can also take that to the vet for testing without having to take her in. Just ask about both a urinalysis and a urine culture.

As far as the size of the clumps and how often she pees, that is hard to tell what will be her norm until she gets a bit older.

Since she tried to pee in the same location where she pooped, it might be because she can still smell her scent from the poop - which means you will need to clean the couch with a different enzymatic cleaner than what you used before, or reclean it much more thoroughly with your current cleaner.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can catch some of her pee in a sterile container, you can also take that to the vet for testing without having to take her in. Just ask about both a urinalysis and a urine culture.
I don't think I will able to get some urine in a sterile way. All I had found out of place so far was on the tiled floor, but of course it was useless.

Since she tried to pee in the same location where she pooped, it might be because she can still smell her scent from the poop - which means you will need to clean the couch with a different enzymatic cleaner than what you used before, or reclean it much more thoroughly with your current cleaner.
Actually I have cleaned the couch only once, after the pee last night. When she pooped I just removed the poop and used some soapy water to clean the surface. I used an enzymatic cleaner at midnight. This morning it was dry and apparently smell-free, but I sprayed more cleaner just in case, lots of it.
So, yes, she might have peed on the same spot where she pooped and hopefully now the couch should be scent-free.
Of course I will hardly trust her.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does she deal with jumping down from the couch? could it be just a bit too high for her to be comfortable with the jump? She might feel the urge to pee, look at the jump hesitate and it's too late. Or she might just get frightened of it. Could you put a cushion for her to land on? Yes, you will have to show her several times, because they will try to avoid the cushion at first.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact is that when she pees on the couch, she is around and comes on the couch purposely to pee/poop. She could have walked to the box in the same time.
So far it happened twice, but I have to keep an eye on her constantly or to keep her confined in the small corridor.

Another thing, she slightly smells like poop... no matter how often I wipe her with scented wipes, she stills smells. Her breath is fine, the smell comes from the rear, and everything is clean over there :confused:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think she is just a tad bit behind in terms of litter box training, given that she has only been exposed to your inside environment for a week. Things are still quite new to her, and she is very young still.

I don't know what to say about the rear-end smell, since you say she is clean. Maybe there are still remnants of poop in her fur that you are not catching? Or, is it possible her stools are a tad looser than they should be? If so, she might not be naturally expressing her anal glands as efficiently as she would be if her stools were more solid - and what you are smelling is the gunk in her anal glands?

How about what she eats - is it possible it is causing her to pass gas??

No one shared these articles with you yet - maybe some information in them might help?

How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poop is mixed. Rather firm in the afternoon, very soft and clear in color in the early morning.
The wet food is always the same, an Italian premium brand for kittens.

She had a swollen belly some days ago, I gave her small portions of activated charcoal tablets for a couple of days. It seems to me it helped her issue with the gas, but it also made her poop too soft.

I've been giving her Fortiflora once a day since after deworming her.
About this, do you think it is better to give her 1 sachet a day in a single dose, or to split the sachet in two doses, morning and evening?

A few minutes ago she was playing with a bottle cap, I went to the bathroom and when I came out (less than 1 minute later) she was on the couch to pee.
I had kept an eye on her all evening.
I think she waited for me to get out the room to pee on the couch, on purpose. And I had been taking her to the litter every 15 minutes in the previous 2 hours...

My wife didn't see that. I'm going to spray some enzymatic cleaner later, before going to bed...
How long will I and kitten be that lucky?

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you try sprinkling some good dirt on top of the litter box?
maybe she doesn't know what the litter box is yet.
maybe some leaves too.
She cute!!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poop is mixed. Rather firm in the afternoon, very soft and clear in color in the early morning.
So, could this be from you feeding her different food in the morning/evening that could be affecting her poop consistency based on each food type?

I've been giving her Fortiflora once a day since after deworming her.
About this, do you think it is better to give her 1 sachet a day in a single dose, or to split the sachet in two doses, morning and evening?
I have no experience with Fortiflora, but it certainly couldn't hurt to split the dose.

How long will I and kitten be that lucky?
I am not sure!!! Confinement to her 'trustworthy' zone might be what you should do for now, and let her enjoy some sun when you can watch her like a hawk!

That couch may need a serious cleaning, I am still not sure it isn't some of her problem. Given that you don't want your wife to find out too much, I don't suppose you can place a plastic tarp over the couch, or a shower curtain?? The plastic is supposed to discourage a cat from wanting to be on top of it. If you use a shower curtain, air it out first - some of them can be pretty smelly right out of the package.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
can you try sprinkling some good dirt on top of the litter box?
maybe she doesn't know what the litter box is yet.
maybe some leaves too.
She cute!!!
Apparently, though, she knows the box perfectly when she has no choice, i.e. when she's confined in the corridor at night or when we're out or can't control her.
So I don't understand why she stops using it when she's free to roam in the next room. The couch is just 12 ft from her box, and she uses the couch on purpose.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is something about the way the couch smells. Can you wash the cover? May just the cover to the cushions? Can you send the cushions to the dry cleaner? Do you have companies that come and steam clean your furniture? You can insist that they don't use chemicals. Or you could get a small steam cleaner yourself. If you do, you will want the small one, the big ones are much more than you will need. Hoover makes a nice one that doesn't cost a huge amount.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, could this be from you feeding her different food in the morning/evening that could be affecting her poop consistency based on each food type?
Same food all day, everyday.

Given that you don't want your wife to find out too much, I don't suppose you can place a plastic tarp over the couch, or a shower curtain??
Exactly.
But I can place a puppy pad on the couch on the spot that she uses, it's the same spot every time.
I wouldn't expose me and the kitten too much, and I could say that it's just a safety measure, just in case. Though it could incentive the kitten to use the couch if she sees that we don't intervene as quickly as before :lol:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is something about the way the couch smells. Can you wash the cover? May just the cover to the cushions? Can you send the cushions to the dry cleaner? Do you have companies that come and steam clean your furniture?
I don't know of any company who does home services of this kind.
I should wash the cover myself, because if I have it done at the dry cleaner, they would take too long and my wife would find out the cover is missing and something is wrong with it.
The good season should allow me to wash and dry it in a few hours, while my wife is at work.
Hopefully the washing should remove any smell that attracts her, though I don't think it's a smell that drives her to the couch. You should see her, she is playing or walking or doing something, then all of a sudden she climbs the couch from a side to reach the center of it, she crouches right between the two cushions and the back (where you rest your back) of the couch, and in that natural pit she pees!!! And when she's done she jumps down and resumes her activities...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I can place a puppy pad on the couch on the spot that she uses, it's the same spot every time.
Hmm. How about a puppy pee pad litter box nearby???? And/or a small box with a puppy pee pad on the couch... if you get away with that... If she would use the puppy pee pad/box combo on the couch, you could then a little bit of litter on top of the pee pad, etc. etc. - you get the gist.

This will work out eventually, you just have to find the right set of combinations to get her out of this phase and into a better one!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the way you describe her approach to the couch cushion makes me think one of the older cats got it in the past. If so, and she can smell that and you can't, she is following her instincts.

You may have to tell wife this possibility and ask her if she thinks sending the cushions out would help. I would suggest letting the cushions sun in the yard, but if you do, but them where outside cats can't get to them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there are no steam cleaners and it can't go to the dry cleaner's,
then you can soak it down good, like 1/4 or more of the enzyme
cleaner on the spot making sure it goes all the way through to the other side of the cushion then let it dry away from the cats.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. How about a puppy pee pad litter box nearby???? And/or a small box with a puppy pee pad on the couch... if you get away with that... If she would use the puppy pee pad/box combo on the couch, you could then a little bit of litter on top of the pee
I wouldn't like to have a box on the couch, I believe it could make her think that THAT is the place.
If that happens I'm doomed :gaah:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the way you describe her approach to the couch cushion makes me think one of the older cats got it in the past. If so, and she can smell that and you can't, she is following her instincts.
I can't remember of such an episode in last years. Lola and Pallina would sleep in their beds on the couch. In the last year, when Lola was sick, her bed was always lined with two puppy pads, and she never peed outside her bed.

You may have to tell wife this possibility and ask her if she thinks sending the cushions out would help. I would suggest letting the cushions sun in the yard, but if you do, but them where outside cats can't get to them.
On Friday I uncovered the cushions, soaked them with the enzymatic cleaner and left in the sun all afternoon till sunset.

Last edited: