Kitten peeing on me and sticky tar-like poo that isn’t formed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am new to this group. Recently adopted 2 kittens, think about 8 weeks. The one little guy has had several issues. Not able to poo properly, like tar and strains. He has been using litter boxes with no problem for urinating. Just today he seemed a little more subdued than normal. He pee a tiny bit on the floor, this was just after my older cat came over and put a paw on his head. Thought maybe he was scared. Then he peed while my daughter was holding him and about 20 minutes later he peed on me while he was lying peacefully in my lap. He also went to the corner of room and just sat there. He keeps going to litter box but nothing happening. I have a vet appointment this afternoon. I’m new to kittens and cats. I rescued a stray a little over a year ago (shed about 2 1/2 now we think) and then just adopted these kittens. Anyone else experience this or know what could be going on. I have to wash him multiple times a day to get the sticky poo off his fur as there is not enough formed matter to go into litter box :(

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This baby has some real issues, and I'm SO happy that you are taking him to the vet today! Sticky, tar-like stools almost always indicate blood. That said, there are some fairly simple things that can cause that...an over-abundance of some parasites, for one, so we will hope that is the culprit. And there are a couple of fixable bacterial infections that can do it as well. Meanwhile, keep him as comfy as you can, and love him with all your heart. AND...PLEASE, come back and let us know what the vet says! We will be worrying.

I'm lighting a candle for your baby boy right now.
00LitCandle.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This baby has some real issues, and I'm SO happy that you are taking him to the vet today! Sticky, tar-like stools almost always indicate blood. That said, there are some fairly simple things that can cause that...an over-abundance of some parasites, for one, so we will hope that is the culprit. And there are a couple of fixable bacterial infections that can do it as well. Meanwhile, keep him as comfy as you can, and love him with all your heart. AND...PLEASE, come back and let us know what the vet says! We will be worrying.

I'm lighting a candle for your baby boy right now.
View attachment 383105
Thanks ❤ I have had Calvin to the vet several times already about the poo - 3 different ones actually to try to get to bottom of it and just told to wait. His poo was tested and is clear of parasites so that’s good. ! I am holding him a lot when he’s not with his brother. His brother Sam is double the size of him (same age) and thriving. So worried for the little guy. He’s so sweet!

Attachments

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Calvin keeps going into the litter box and sitting and looks like trying to go, gets a bit out but then gets out of litter box and goes into a corner of the room and crouches. I just picked him up and while carrying back to litter box he peed. I’ve had him a little over a week and no accidents prior. He was using litter box no problem. I have several boxes around the basement where I am keeping the boys right now. The one box he got out of and went right next to it in the corner and tried to pee :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet test his stool for anything other than the basic parasites? Did they check for blood? There is a fecal PCR test that will look for bacterial/viral issues, as well as other parasites not picked up in the standard fecal tests. The vets should also be considering full scale blood work, and additional testing to look for malnutrition issues since you say Calvin is so much smaller than his brother Sam.

I don't think these vets you have seen are being very helpful. Were they all from the same practice? Generally, when getting a second opinion, you find a vet from an entirely different practice in order to avoid colleague bias. If you don't know of one ask friends/family/neighbors/co-workers for a referral.

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response! I am not 100% sure what exactly was tested for in fecal matter; Just told that results were clear. I have gone to an emergency vet and 2 different clinics in the past week so he has been seen by 3 different vets from 3 different practices.. He is really deteriorating and barely eating now. I have an appointment in half an hour and will ask about these specific tests. I really appreciate your advice!

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure they check him for giardia. It causes all his symptoms and is difficult to diagnose without a specific test. It would make him smaller too. He may also have a urinary tract infection. All the luck!
Yes I was thinking UTI. Hoping something that “simple”. Given how fecal matter always stuck on his rear end and I have to bathe him a lot maybe bacteria got into the Urinary Tract. Thank you for your response. I will ask about giardia!

Jlsoroch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With great sadness I wanted to send an update on my boy. After 2 days at the emergency hospital, 4 enemas, constant IV and deostipation and multiple doses of stool softeners, Calvin was put down. The x rays showed severe impaction of fecal matter and he was in severe pain. Vet said his colon was so stretched out that he would have a life of pain and surgery and issues. I am absolutely heartbroken. He was the sweetest kitten and I had such a bond...💔

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. RIP little Calvin. Bless him and you. If/when you are ready, please post about Calvin in our Crossing The Bridge section. It is a great way to share stories and pics - albeit his short life - and to give him the homage and memorial he so justly deserves.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Little Calvin, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

Thank you for making this baby's last days filled with love and care.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

J Jlsoroch those of us here at TCS send our sincere sympathies.. we know how hard it is to lose a beloved kitty. :rbheart:
At these times we lock threads, out of respect.
However, as mentioned, you may like to set up a tribute thread for him in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

.RIP Calvin.
:greenpaw: :bluebutterfly: :rbheart: :butterfly: :bluepaw:

Status
Not open for further replies.