Kitten peeing on bed, help!

hellokittyk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
We have a kitten about 18 weeks old who we've had since she was about 12 weeks. Recently in the last 3 weeks she's started peeing on the covers of the bed. The strangest thing is that she aside from once or twice she pretty much only does this when we're sleeping in the bed at night and the last two times she's peed it's been on me!

She's been checked for a UTI - negative. She's never had this problem, has always peed in her litter tray. We recently added a second litter box in the bedroom near the bed as we thought maybe she didn't like using the other one as we have another cat and he uses it. She uses the second litter box frequently as well as the original box and other than the pee at night always goes toilet in one of the boxes. The litter is kept clean, scooped once in the morning before my husband goes to work, again when he comes home from work and once more at night before we go to bed although if we notice a smell coming from the boxes he will scoop them clean again (I'm currently pregnant so husband does all the scooping!), the litter gets completely changed at least every few days as well as the boxes being washed clean at the same time or the next time after that but usually once a week minimum.

We've had to add plastic mattress protector to the mattress as the pee was often soaking through the covers and sheet. We bought some specifically targeted urine cleaning spray from the pet store to clean the stains, then covered the mattress in plastic and a fresh clean sheet which she had never peed on before. The most recent time she has peed (tonight, or rather very early morning) we were not using either of the two covers she had peed on, just a sheet as a blanket (currently summer here).

We have been very patient but as I'm sure you can imagine we are both growing frustrated at waking up to pee and having mountains of bed sheets and covers to wash every day or so. She doesn't do this every night but I would say every second to third night.

I might also add that her and our second cat get along quite well, he doesn't bully her or prevent her from using either of the boxes. The new second box is pretty much exclusively hers as he prefers the original box and hardly uses the new second box (I've only seen him use it once or twice).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't specifically say you have more than two litter boxes so I should point out that the rule of thumb is one litter box per cat plus one. 

We got our cats from a breeder, one started to pee on soft things a few months after we got her. After doing a ton of research I came to the conclusion that the pellet litter (which the breeders had used without problem) hurt her paws but by the time we changed over the problem had become habit. I'm not saying that this is your kitty's problem because I don't think it is. It's just by way of leaving you with these articles. I know you've obviously done your research and you are frustrated but it is easy to miss something.  

Article] Litter  Box  Location Secrets

[Article] 16 Experts reveal the most common litterbox mistakes (and how to avoid them)

[Article] How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?  

I've also read that some cats will pee on their owners because they are theirs and they like you to smell like family. 

Whatever the cause, you could close your bedroom door at night for about a month and the problem should resolve itself. There is a great vid on youtube by Jackson Galaxy which will tell you how to deal with the inevitable scratching at the door called Train your cat to let you sleep. 

We literally slept with a plastic ground sheet over our bed because if we put it under the sheets she would pee on them. Cats like sheets and blankets, they don't like plastic. I understand that it's hot where you are and that you can't do this at the moment but it does tell you that she is not likely to pee on something that doesn't have the right texture. 

Also, you say that your cats get on fine, it takes one time for a cat to get a fright and that will make it reluctant to use the litter box.

If you are Australian you will be unable to get cat attract unless you buy it from Amazon US and it is hellishly expensive. I bought DR Elsey's because it had the most positive reviews but by the time it got here my kitten no longer needed it.  

Last edited: