Kitten Peeing And Pooping In Bedrooms

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a 3 cats and a kitten. The kitten is 3.5 months old. We have had him since birth as one of our cats had a litter. He pees and poos in all 3 litter boxes all the time, but if he gets in our bedroom for even a minute he poops under the bed, pees on the floor or pees on our duvet.
We keep our door closed constantly, but we have 4 children so occasionally it gets left open.
In the past two weeks he has started to poop under the bed in our daughters room.
My husband is extremely frustrated and ready to give him away. I need some advice on how to deal with this. Thanks in advance!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you put litterboxes in there? Tell your husband it will be temporary...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Place litterboxes in the areas where he is going inappropriately and see what happens. If that doesn't help to change the behavior, you might be looking at confining to a much smaller area - perhaps even a crate, with his food/water/litterbox with him.

I have never used anything like a cat detractor, but others on this site have. Perhaps it is possible to at least use it on the areas underneath the beds? Also, you might want to temporarily remove the duvet - kittens often are attracted to soft, fluffy type materials to knead, and unfortunately pee while doing so.

Was there a 'normal' relationship between the kitten and his mom? If not, might have something to do with his behavior, as well.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Additional litter boxes may help, as well. You have four cats. The rule of thumb is "one box per cat, plus one box."

Jeepers36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When my cat was a kitten she did the same thing. I put pans of dry food under the beds and she stopped going u dear there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lspads

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your suggestions.
If our bedroom door and our daughters bedroom door is closed, he uses the litter boxes exclusively. He, as far as I can tell has a normal relationship with his mother. He still tries to nurse off of her, and they still snuggle, and she still bathes him.
I guess I also should have mentioned that for the first eight weeks of their lives they were in our bedroom. The kittens we’re not using the litter box so, they kept just going on the carpet, so we moved them to our large bathroom and they immediately litter trained.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, yeah - going back to the spot(s) where pee/poo can be smelled. Get some "The Equalizer" (Amazon.com) and spray it in the areas that have previously been peed/pooped on. It works on carpets, pretty much any fabrics, and does not require saturating the material in order for it to work. If you are in doubt about actually where to spray it, as far as pee goes, buy a black light and that will identify areas where pee has been left behind.

auntdawny

These are my babies, Bubs and Girl
Kitten
Purraise
Get him checked up to make sure he is okay medically

As the comments suggest, you can try adding another litter box and see how that helps

It could be stress also

Have you noticed any cats coming into the area ? or have you added new furniture or redecorated the house?

I would read this article 9 Reasons Why Your Cat Has Stopped Using The Litter Box

Hope this helps :)

All the best

PS - tell your hubby, this behavior won't last long.. Just a little patience and understanding