Kitten pants right away when playing

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is panting in a kitten normal? Have a very high energy kitten who I'm starting to worry about. Seems whenever she really gets going starts panting. Became more concerned over past month because seems like a bone is protruding too much from her chest. She seems pretty normal otherwise. Worried she might be deformed in some way. Guess not much can do. Going back to vet in few months either way, she needs to be spayed. here is video if you can see

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normal
Strenuous excericse will cause panting, just like it does in people. Just go easy on the playtime if possible. Some kittens are just super active so pretty much anything will get them really worked up. My Aby was like that when he was a kitten.

I'm not sure what the protruding bone is.If you're concerned about it, you should take the kitten to the vet now rather than wait a few months for the spay appointment.

fluffscruff

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Panting can be pretty normal after high energy playing. If she stops panting pretty quickly, like within a couple of minutes after playtime, she's likely just cooling/winding down. If she continues to pant long after she stops playing, then that could be cause for concern. If she randomly starts panting, even without having run around, that'd be a big cause for concern. My kitties pant during play when they really get going, too. When I notice a kitty panting, I try to slow down playtime so that they can cool down a little bit before going at it full-speed again :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalupa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks lst3 and fluffscruff for the replies. I'm glad it's normal this panting which wouldn't worry me at all if she were a dog. She does get extreme excited I break out a toy and start playing with her. The panting starts right away and I guess it does stop after she calms down. She is the first cat that pants I ever met. Guess it wasn't until I felt the small bone in her chest that  became concerned that it might be related to the panting. Will probably take her sooner to be checked out before anesthesia with spay. Just can't stay away from the vet!!