Kitten pants easily

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On another note, around a week ago he started putting his head down the bed frame like this, which causes him to wheeze/cough, sometimes tongue out. He DELIBERATELY does this, even when I remove him, he does it again. The cough lasts 30seconds~. We always quickly rush to him try to help him out, but idk why he does this. We figured it might be a hairball he keeps swallowing and bought an antihairball paste (he only used it for 2 days rn) however, I read couple of posts saying their cats are seeking attention from the owner, which they get when they wheeze and cough. Now everytime he does it I give him a tiny flick/tap on the head which stops him from this but could it be truly him seeking attention?? Hes a very very loving cat which constantly needs attention from us

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think he wants attention. He sure sounds like a character!

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think he wants attention. He sure sounds like a character!
Hes quite the problem child doing everything wrong but incredibly cute. I hope just flicking him will stop him from literally choking himself for attention..

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: he sure doesnt choke anymore now! :dizzycat:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
On another note, around a week ago he started putting his head down the bed frame like this, which causes him to wheeze/cough, sometimes tongue out. He DELIBERATELY does this, even when I remove him, he does it again. The cough lasts 30seconds~. We always quickly rush to him try to help him out, but idk why he does this. We figured it might be a hairball he keeps swallowing and bought an antihairball paste (he only used it for 2 days rn) however, I read couple of posts saying their cats are seeking attention from the owner, which they get when they wheeze and cough. Now everytime he does it I give him a tiny flick/tap on the head which stops him from this but could it be truly him seeking attention?? Hes a very very loving cat which constantly needs attention from us
When Maggie was 3 months old she would get under the bed on her back,putt her claws up,then crawl around like spiderman. She can no longer get under the bed since I removed the bed frame.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello,
My male kitten (9months) pants rather easily. Playing with him for ~10 minutes, him chasing a feather on a string, causes him to pant already and than he needs to cool off. Another example, when hes running around with his kitten sister. I do realize he is sort of thick coated. (European Tiger cat) But how could I make the most of his play time, without him panting so often ? I even make him take breaks inbetween, the room is rather cool as well. Neither of my other two cats pant with the same amount of play
Has he been checked for a heart murmur? That's a sign of a congenital one.

Many cats can outgrow them with extra supp, but he'll likely need a taurine suppliments from the vet.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When Maggie was 3 months old she would get under the bed on her back,putt her claws up,then crawl around like spiderman. She can no longer get under the bed since I removed the bed frame.
Its a bunker bed Ill literally fall if I remove it

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Many cats can outgrow them with extra supp, but he'll likely need a taurine suppliments from the vet.
The most common symptoms that are observed with a cat that has a clinically significant heart murmur are poor appetite, weight loss (or stunted growth in a kitten), breathing problems, pale gums, lethargy, or weakness.
He really doesnt have any of these

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So as far as I know they diagnose it during a physical examination by listening to the heart, which my vet did before not so long ago, he didnt find anything odd

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Idk thaf really doesnt sound like it, I mean he stopped coughing after I stopped him from chokin and he only pants after play

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Id also like to mention that he eats whole chicken hearts which contains taurine

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Id also like to mention that he eats whole chicken hearts which contains taurine
Painting after play was the main sign for Magnus, which is why I mentioned it. He had 2 vet appointments before we adopted him and 2 with our vet before it was diagnosed since it's a small one. He could never have been described as lethargic.

It's usually found during exam, and then bloodwork is done for signs of condition, some vets do an echocardiogram. (Coughing is sign of congestive heart failure not a murmur)

He then outgrew it, but there was a bit of care we had to take with him. Murmurs can happen during the growth stage. My vet said they are usually minor and can be subsequently grown out of, but best kept an eye on.

Cat food has taurine too, which Magnus ate. He needed a taurine suppliment.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Painting after play was the main sign for Magnus, which is why I mentioned it. He had 2 vet appointments before we adopted him and 2 with our vet before it was diagnosed since it's a small one. He could never have been described as lethargic.

It's usually found during exam, and then bloodwork is done for signs of condition, some vets do an echocardiogram. (Coughing is sign of congestive heart failure not a murmur)

He then outgrew it, but there was a bit of care we had to take with him. Murmurs can happen during the growth stage. My vet said they are usually minor and can be subsequently grown out of, but best kept an eye on.

His can has 1500 mg Taurine, can is 400g

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

How much supplements did your cat receive based on his data?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How much supplements did your cat receive based on his data?
One a day. I don't remember the dosage, and I believe it mattered the severity of the murmur. I also didn't check his food content for the exact values. He was on kitten food and the formula has since changed.

It was an overwhelming diagnosis and we trusted our vet for the next steps.

She re-ran his heart bloodwork for any changes after 3 months. He hasn't had any more sound of murmur after 1 year of the diagnosis. He's no longer on extra suppliments, and he doesn't pant after playing anymore.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One a day. I don't remember the dosage, and I believe it mattered the severity of the murmur. I also didn't check his food content for the exact values. He was on kitten food and the formula has since changed.

It was an overwhelming diagnosis and we trusted our vet for the next steps.

She re-ran his heart bloodwork for any changes after 3 months. He hasn't had any more sound of murmur after 1 year of the diagnosis. He's no longer on extra suppliments, and he doesn't pant after playing anymore.
I see.. say estimated how much does he play on a daily basis?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see.. say estimated how much does he play on a daily basis?
At the time with kitten energy, (and neutered) he took a couple of small 2-3 hour naps, 5 hours at night if we were lucky. The rest of the time he was running and moving and playing. One of those cats who if we played more, he had more energy.

I understand you are attempting to find the difference between your cat and Magnus at this time, and that's not a bad thing to do. But please know that I commented because I saw similarities in activity level, combined with panting. I, too, thought it was just to do with how hard he played.

He was at the vet for another purpose (food allergy) when it was diagnosed. They originally looked for heart failure after finding out he panted. They kept him at the vets office for a half day, so see if he would calm down enough to listen, and the vet asked another internal vet to listen as well. They stated it was "faint" and that she would have classified it as a ".5" if that was an option. (It isn't, so it was a 1) His bloodwork came back fine, so they didn't recommend an echocardiogram. He had no parasites, we had to supervise for overheating and attempt to keep his play sessions smaller and lighter. He was allowed catnip.

It was a VERY stressful time for us. We were still mourning our late cat, whom I had given home hospice care to for 9 months, up every 2 hours with her. Magnus was a "perfectly healthy cat" that we adopted to help our little family cope. Because of this, I'm sorry but I didn't retain the amount of information I normally would. The vet retains all information about his diet, etc and I entrusted his care to their team fully. We followed all recommendations, and any notes I made in-between visits were scanned and kept on his file, not returned to me (no humans inside due to COVID).

I remember both bloodworks came back in normal values, including the extended bloodwork. "Beautiful" was the term used 😹 It was a lot of relief for both us and the staff at the clinic who had watched him grow up. He was there almost monthly from 5 months to 18 months as there were some extra vaccines that weren't part of his adoptive package that we wanted, and then some food allergies once we moved him to a new food (which was hard to diagnose) and then the heart murmur. His 1 year vaccines were also delayed by vet recommendations due to the murmur.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At the time with kitten energy, (and neutered) he took a couple of small 2-3 hour naps, 5 hours at night if we were lucky. The rest of the time he was running and moving and playing. One of those cats who if we played more, he had more energy.

I understand you are attempting to find the difference between your cat and Magnus at this time, and that's not a bad thing to do. But please know that I commented because I saw similarities in activity level, combined with panting. I, too, thought it was just to do with how hard he played.

He was at the vet for another purpose (food allergy) when it was diagnosed. They originally looked for heart failure after finding out he panted. They kept him at the vets office for a half day, so see if he would calm down enough to listen, and the vet asked another internal vet to listen as well. They stated it was "faint" and that she would have classified it as a ".5" if that was an option. (It isn't, so it was a 1) His bloodwork came back fine, so they didn't recommend an echocardiogram. He had no parasites, we had to supervise for overheating and attempt to keep his play sessions smaller and lighter. He was allowed catnip.

It was a VERY stressful time for us. We were still mourning our late cat, whom I had given home hospice care to for 9 months, up every 2 hours with her. Magnus was a "perfectly healthy cat" that we adopted to help our little family cope. Because of this, I'm sorry but I didn't retain the amount of information I normally would. The vet retains all information about his diet, etc and I entrusted his care to their team fully. We followed all recommendations, and any notes I made in-between visits were scanned and kept on his file, not returned to me (no humans inside due to COVID).

I remember both bloodworks came back in normal values, including the extended bloodwork. "Beautiful" was the term used 😹 It was a lot of relief for both us and the staff at the clinic who had watched him grow up. He was there almost monthly from 5 months to 18 months as there were some extra vaccines that weren't part of his adoptive package that we wanted, and then some food allergies once we moved him to a new food (which was hard to diagnose) and then the heart murmur. His 1 year vaccines were also delayed by vet recommendations due to the murmur.
The problem is Im really not in charge of making appointments and such/I dont make the calls. So all I can do is suggest and recommend.. Lately I haven't been playing much with him and its gotten colder as well, I havent seen him pant in a week, ofc Ill keep what youve said in mind and watch him closely, Ill also buy taurine supplements that you can buy in any shop, thats all I can do..