Kitten only licking gravy off food

Alanowner19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi first time owner with a 10 week old kitten.

The last I bought him from used to give him adult food, I have been giving him kitten food.

He won’t eat dry food and will only
Lick the gravy off the food (not processed rubbish) then meows as he is hungry.

What can I do?

Thank you

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens are still learning how to eat at 10 weeks and often have a very low (lower then adults) thirst drive. I'd recommend mushing up the wet food eith some water (or ideally KMR or goats milk so it gets some extra nutrition with the added moisture). Make it into a slurry that is easy for your little one to lap up. You can add less liquid over the next several weeks as your kitten gets more used to the whole chewing thing.

Dry food adversion isnt a bad thing. Dry food really isnt the best option for cats so if you can offer enough wet meals to keep up with a kittens metabolism dont worry. Kittens do need a lot of calories so if you are gone all day do leave out a dish of dry to hold him over between meals. But as an adult, wet only is ideal and adults can do with two to three meals a day.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try different types of cat food.

Many brands come in chunks, shreds or patè, etc.

Maybe your kitten would like a different kind? He's still young. He has a smaller mouth and, maybe, hasn't figured out how to eat food that comes in big chunks.

You can also try dry food with a little bit of warm water or kitten milk replacer mixed in. That might be easier for your kitten to eat and you could use that to transition him to adult food.

Casper, going on six years old is a gravy licker, too!
Some cats are just like that.

Maybe your kitten is also a gravy licker? ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alanowner19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. He is def a gravy licker!! I have squished up his food and added water. He still just managed to get the juice out 🙈. I have ordered the last two brands they sell in England so hopefully he will like something. My friend is a vet nurse and she said he will eat when he is hungry but he doesn’t he just meows at me.

the last few days he is really really bitey.I’m covered in teeth marks, he is like a starved monster!! Luckily my kids take the bites as they think he is cute but omg he hurts and is relentless.

I’m worries this is related to his food?? A kitten is harder than a baby 😂

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also try different types of cat food.

Many brands come in chunks, shreds or patè, etc.

Maybe your kitten would like a different kind? He's still young. He has a smaller mouth and, maybe, hasn't figured out how to eat food that comes in big chunks.

You can also try dry food with a little bit of warm water or kitten milk replacer mixed in. That might be easier for your kitten to eat and you could use that to transition him to adult food.

Casper, going on six years old is a gravy licker, too!
Some cats are just like that.

Maybe your kitten is also a gravy licker? ;)
I KNOW mine is a gravy licker...Im still trying to work with him on that myself..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are some kitten foods available in the UK you may want to add to the rotation:

My kitten doesn't like "posh" expensive wet cat food!
Best Wet Kitten Food: Pouches/ Trays :-)
UK Cat lovers, please advise new mummy
Commercial Wet Kitten Food UK

You can try pureeing canned kitten food in a blender with a little water to turn it into "soup" for the kitten to lick up. As the kitten gets older and learns how to eat food and not just lick or suck it, you can slowly stop feeding the pureed food.

Growing kittens are always hungry so feed as much food as the kitten wants to eat. A few small meals several times a day works. Since the kitten won't eat dry (smart), there are programmable timed feeders you can use for canned food if you're not home during the day. Something like this: Cat Mate C500 Automatic Pet Feeder

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the last few days he is really really bitey.I’m covered in teeth marks, he is like a starved monster!! Luckily my kids take the bites as they think he is cute but omg he hurts and is relentless.
Don’t play with him using your hands, and don’t let your kids do that; it may be sweet now, but it will create issues when he’s older. Whenever he bites, hiss at him or make an exaggerated Aww sound so that he knows he’s hurting you. He’s been separated from his mom/siblings too early, in the ideal world he would still be playing with his siblings who would teach him what is acceptable in the play and what’s not, but since they’re not around, he’s using your hands/ankles to play with.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try blending the food with a blender to make a true smoothie type texture.

• Purraise
Reactions: nwc