Kitten On Parasite Meds...crying In Litter Box

csc96

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little 3 month old kitten got diagnosed with a parasite yesterday (I think coccidia). She was given an antibiotic and panacur as treatment. I got home around 40 minutes ago and since then my cat has entered her litter box a few times, tried(?) to go to the bathroom and just cried. I don't see anything in the litter box except two little clumps and i'm not sure if its pee or poop. I know she has both peed and pooped (multiple times) since last night because I dumped out her whole litter box last night to clean the box and I just did again when I got home today. I know antibiotics can cause constipation and those 2 little clumps were probably poop but when I googled it said if your cat behaves this way it could be because of a urinary blockage, which got me all worried that she could be straining to pee instead of poop! I will call the vet tomorrow if she is still doing this.

Again, I've been home for less than an hour so it is very possible she will pee and/or poop soon. I'm just impatient...especially when it comes to my sick kitten!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call the vets office now, I'm assuming its after hours for you, and listen to the automated greeting. They should provide a 24 hour emergency number so you can talk to a person, i wouldn't wait. Her trying so much, and crying, is concerning.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we have a poop smiley :poop:

- we need a pee smiley!!

How is your kitten acting now that she has peed?