Kitten nursing on Grandma

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I have 3 cat generations in the household. Grandma Luna, Mama Chi-Chi and kitten Chip.

Backtrack to understand full picture here and my delimma. I rescued my kitties Luna (mother) and Chi-Chi (daughter). Chi-Chi was pregnant and had 4 kittens. 3 kittens have moved on to their new homes. The last kitten, Chip, is in his forever home with us. Luna (now Grandma cat) was always very involved with the kittens and acted as another mother to the kittens. The kittens nursed on Luna, which I assumed was for comfort. Over time this made her produce milk and so she was feeding the kittens as well as their mother, Chi-Chi. Chi-Chi's milk dried up a few weeks ago, but Grandma Luna still allows our kitten Chip (now 11 weeks old) to nurse from her, so she is still producing milk.

I've read that a nursing cat will eventually get fed up with it and not allow the kitten to nurse anymore in time. But I'm concerned that since Luna is so loving she will not make him stop nursing from her.

I try to distract him with play when he is trying to nurse on her, but it doesn't do much for long. I cannot separate the cats because if I do they will scratch under the door and tear up the carpet in distress.

Any input or advice is very much appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I personally think it would be worth continuing to distract him, even to the point of putting him in a different room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will continue to try and distract but sometimes it is difficult and he keeps trying to go to her no matter what I do or for how long.
I'm not sure how I can separate them and not have my apartment carpet destroyed more. I have separated for unrelated reasons before and he cries which makes both the other cats come to the door and start tearing it up! Lol

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try cat music for him/them, and maybe put down one of those plastic carpet protectors with the little prongs facing up, or a office chair mat cut to size.

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try cat music for him/them, and maybe put down one of those plastic carpet protectors with the little prongs facing up, or a office chair mat cut to size.
Not a bad idea 🤔 I'll have to give that a try, thanks!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Luna will accept one, some kind of cat onesie/surgical suit would stop Chip being able to feed from her. Its the simplest way to stop the unwanted behaviour but have them retain their bond.

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If Luna will accept one, some kind of cat onesie/surgical suit would stop Chip being able to feed from her. Its the simplest way to stop the unwanted behaviour but have them retain their bond.
Thanks. Great idea but she would be veryy against this. I wish it were an option 😔

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see the problem. Is she having issues due to this? If not, she'll make them stop when everybody is ready. It's not something humans need to get involved with.

Have the females been spayed yet? If not, be sure to have that done before Chip gets to 4-5 months or they might end up getting a little too close :/.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Grandma Luna still allows our kitten Chip (now 11 weeks old) to nurse from her, so she is still producing milk.
To me, it depends on how much physical stress this is putting on Luna when it's not necessary, plus as I understood it the OP would really rather Chip-kitten not do it :)

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't see the problem. Is she having issues due to this? If not, she'll make them stop when everybody is ready. It's not something humans need to get involved with.

Have the females been spayed yet? If not, be sure to have that done before Chip gets to 4-5 months or they might end up getting a little too close :/.
She has not had any complications from it so far, she is just an older cat with general poor health from living a hard life, and I definitely don't want any issues to arise.

I know they say she will make it stop when she wants to, but she is so sweet and loving I'm concerned it will continue forever lol so just trying to see if anyone knows of ways to help stop it.

Luna is spayed and Chi-Chi will be soon also 😊

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I expect that she allows him to nurse because it comforts her as well as him. It probably isn’t detrimental and may work itself out in a few months as your boy gets older. You could try keeping him separated for a week or so to give her milk time to dry up and for him to get out of the nursing habit. No one is going to be happy about that but other than the onesie it seems the only way to stop him.

Last edited:

Ashley1250

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I expect that she allows him to nurse because it comforts her as well as him. It probably isn’t detrimental and may work itself out in a few months as your boy gets older. You could try keeping him separated for a week or so to give her milk time to dry up and for him to get out of the nursing habit. No one is going to be happy about that but other than the inside it seems the only way to stop him.
I am hoping it will just work itself out and not be a long drawn out thing. Separation won't be easy but I will give it a try as that seems the best option. Just need to try a plastic mat under the door to protect the carpet from getting tore up, as I was suggested earlier.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she's eating well now, it shouldn't hurt her, and it may be just as comforting for her as for him. At any rate, he's too young to worry about it right now. Give it a few more months and then you can take steps if you want to, if they haven't stopped by then.