Kitten not peeing/pooping - Sleeping arrangements - Diet

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The seller of my kitten says she's not sure if the 5 kittens her cat gave birth to ever pooped or peed. Is this normal? I checked some YouTube videos and while the fecal matter does not look like regular adult feces, you'd still notice it from 5 kittens. Not sure about the pee but they drink milk so there must be a lot right?

What are the odds they haven't pooped or peed at all? They're just over 4 weeks old. I know you can stimulate them to do it by themselves while the mother cat usually helps with that if she's around but I don't know if the seller's Constant interference with the kittens ("because they're so cute") with them is disturbing the mother cat's natural process.

She's been letting them sleep in her bed since they learned to walk and climb about a week and a half ago. That's also worrisome in my opinion. She could roll over them or get sick herself let alone they might go number 1 or number 2 or BOTH in her bed and shouldn't they be with their mother cat right now? Isn't this kind of interference going to detach the mother cat from the kittens too early and she will stop caring for them and feeding them her milk?

I ended up buying her a bunch of healthy wet and dry food and she really appreciated it (spent nearly $80) just to keep my kitten healthy as well as the other 4 kittens and the mother cat. Luckily she realized the terrible diet she had them on (well, the mother cat) and said she is now buying the same wet food and even though at first didn't think to feed her the dry food, is feeding it to her as well.

I asked if she mixed it to ease her into the new diet and she said she followed my advice but her cat wouldn't touch the dry food that way but when it was on its own, she ate the dry food right away. She devoured the wet food, a whole can right away. I think she may be giving her too much of that but then again it's all resupplying her lost nutrients from possible malnutrition and her cat might sense that she needs this food more than ever now since I got mother and baby / mother and kitten formulas.

Just to give you more information, here is the food I chose and I will most likely feed it to my kitten for the first year at least as well:

1612392952184.png

I chose the diet for the mother cat based on what I learned here and went for Dry food with a shorter list of Guaranteed Analysis but healthy ingredients rather than a huge list of tempting vitamins and other brain activity supplements. The nice lady at PetSmart who really seemed like she cares explained that while Purina ONE does have a huge list of ingredients which seem healthier as a whole, come from a lower quality source. So even if it says it has so much more in it, the source which those vitamins and supplements are coming from are not the best so it's better to keep it basic or pay more for a more trustworthy source.

For people like me who knew nothing about this stuff until people like you were kind enough to educate; a list like the Purina ONE looks super tempting and much better than the short one of Nulo which I ended up opting for even though it didn't have the DHA for Vision and Brain Development (which also seemed very important but I was told it was kind of a marketing gimmick, not sure how true that is).

Links:

The Dry food I CHOSE - Short list but everything is real, high quality and grain-free.
The Dry food I almost chose - Notice the long tempting list of great things your cat will get

As for the wet food, it was way easier and a no-brainer due to the amount of research I accumulated and I feel like wet food is easier to pick but maybe I just got lucky finding the right one quickly:

The Wet food I CHOSE

Now, I understand that even after everything I learned on here, I may have still gone and made the wrong choice but I think I was being careful enough to pick the best for them and while I can't afford such expensive food, I felt it was important. People here talk about how I should have rescued a cat rather than get 1 from Kijiji but I pretty much feel like I rescued 5 as well as their mother cat by educating the seller.

The seller seems very nice and understanding and I can only take her word for it since you don't know how she is when she is not talking to me but she seems genuinely nice and appreciative and that makes me happy to help and contribute.

This kitten will end up costing me probably 400-500 bucks more than what it would have as a rescue but I get to spend the time with it as it grows (now only over media since Covid hit again) but it's nice to let it grow with you rather than just find a 3 month old kitten (in my opinion at least it has some kind of novelty to it)

Please educate me on anything if you feel I should have done something differently. Love you all and thanking you in advance!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly, and I'll refrain from giving my opinion on breeding/irresponsible breeders, but if you had to educate a seller, then that is NOT a seller I'd "take her word for it", nor would I purchase anything for/from them. Education is freely available on the internet. Money from any adoption sale gives the impression that what they did was right/worked and becomes a motivator to continue.
but I get to spend the time with it as it grows (now only over media since Covid hit again) but it's nice to let it grow with you rather than just find a 3 month old kitten (in my opinion at least it has some kind of novelty to it)
I will also strongly disagree with that statement. If you are doing this for the novelty of it, then you're not doing it correctly. If the reason is ANYTHING but love, it's not worth it. Any animal, at any time, at any age, can amaze you, can make you laugh, can make you cry, can fill your heart with joy. If the defining moment in your pets life was you got to watch it grow up from a few weeks to a few months, you're doing it wrong.
Become a foster for a shelter if you want to see baby kittens grow up, but please don't encourage the ignorance or greed of people when it comes to animals lives.
While I understand that helping this seller made you happy (which is absolutely your choice), I still believe that there are better options.
I'm sorry for the rant, but I feel that being honest is part of our duty to protect all cats.
In my opinion...I would take some personal time to sit down and really think about what's most important to you. Will a kitten bring a few weeks old really change your entire outlook on a cat and it's entire life, than if you met it when it was a few months? Does the word of someone you had to educate really hold as much weight as they say it does? What do YOU want? What, in the grand scheme of things, will end up being the most important to YOU?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, and I'll refrain from giving my opinion on breeding/irresponsible breeders, but if you had to educate a seller, then that is NOT a seller I'd "take her word for it", nor would I purchase anything for/from them. Education is freely available on the internet. Money from any adoption sale gives the impression that what they did was right/worked and becomes a motivator to continue.

I will also strongly disagree with that statement. If you are doing this for the novelty of it, then you're not doing it correctly. If the reason is ANYTHING but love, it's not worth it. Any animal, at any time, at any age, can amaze you, can make you laugh, can make you cry, can fill your heart with joy. If the defining moment in your pets life was you got to watch it grow up from a few weeks to a few months, you're doing it wrong.
Become a foster for a shelter if you want to see baby kittens grow up, but please don't encourage the ignorance or greed of people when it comes to animals lives.
While I understand that helping this seller made you happy (which is absolutely your choice), I still believe that there are better options.
I'm sorry for the rant, but I feel that being honest is part of our duty to protect all cats.
In my opinion...I would take some personal time to sit down and really think about what's most important to you. Will a kitten bring a few weeks old really change your entire outlook on a cat and it's entire life, than if you met it when it was a few months? Does the word of someone you had to educate really hold as much weight as they say it does? What do YOU want? What, in the grand scheme of things, will end up being the most important to YOU?

First of all thank you for your response.

Let me start by saying that you TOTALLY misunderstood e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g and if you're not one of those who really helped me when I just got on this forum about a month ago, you should update yourself by checking out my posts. I feel like you might have been there though so this is confusing...

I had no idea right from left when I purchased the kitten (more like the promise of the kitten when it's ready). Then I didn't want to give up on it knowing the seller is not very knowledgeable and busted my a** studying and researching as much as possible and with all my hard work and the amazing help I received on this forum, I managed to educate the seller on proper kitten care (no where as much as you probably know but more than what we both knew, especially what she knew).

This already happened. Kittens were born, nothing I could do to change that fact. I paid for one, having very little knowledge on the best methods of acquiring a kitten/cat. I knew they are technically at risk so really I feel like I did do a noble thing by spending money out my own pocket to keep them healthy and happy as well as the mother cat.

When I said NOVELTY I meant if it makes ME feel any better that I am paying HUNDREDS of dollars more for a kitten, at least I am lucky to see it grow (I am just worried it might get hurt in the process but like many here said, kittens are born in barns with no care and turn out fine and she loves them so they will be fine too, god willing and with my intervention because I DO CARE)

I think you approached this totally misinformed but I get where you probably got all confused. Please read my first threads/posts and maybe you'll know my story. I got a lot of support from everyone here.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about the babies getting "unbonded" from their mom or anything. Yes, they do have to learn from their mother, but it's also good for them to get human socialization, so as long as the owner isn't locking the mama cat in another room or putting her outside or something like that, it's all good.

Obviously they've pooped and peed or they'd be dead ;). The mom cat cleans it up until the kittens are on solid food, so the owner likely hasn't seen it. She will soon though. And, annoyingly, it doesn't have a strong odor at that age so it's not unusual for the owner to find a secret kitten potty area at some time in the future :/. But that's her problem.

The food looks good. I only recommended Purina ONE because I thought price may be an issue. If not, go wild! :D

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about the babies getting "unbonded" from their mom or anything. Yes, they do have to learn from their mother, but it's also good for them to get human socialization, so as long as the owner isn't locking the mama cat in another room or putting her outside or something like that, it's all good.

Obviously they've pooped and peed or they'd be dead ;). The mom cat cleans it up until the kittens are on solid food, so the owner likely hasn't seen it. She will soon though. And, annoyingly, it doesn't have a strong odor at that age so it's not unusual for the owner to find a secret kitten potty area at some time in the future :/. But that's her problem.

The food looks good. I only recommended Purina ONE because I thought price may be an issue. If not, go wild! :D
Thank you, I wasn't sure about this part. I felt like socializing with humans is important for them but thought maybe it was too early to have them in bed. Thanks for clearing that up.

Lol yeah kind of a silly thing for me to say. Just didn't understand WHERE it would go since she has not idea where it is and it's been over weeks now lol. Yeah I bet she will find some spots soon then... I know she has some carpet so hopefully it isn't too much of a mess haha.

Yeah I totally understand why you recommended Purina ONE. I hope you know I appreciated it since I was the one saying I needed something affordable but then I learned more and couldn't get myself to give them anything on the cheaper end. Gonna be a bit pricier but I recently found out I will be able to work OverTime!!!

Thank you so so much for your comment!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A quick first reaction before I read the rest: Yes, momma usually takes care of the wastes. So its quite common an average owner never sees much until its time for them to wean. In fact, poop and pee is typical questions just for rescuers and for caretakers of orphans...
Although it still wise to change the bedding now and then...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
. People here talk about how I should have rescued a cat rather than get 1 from Kijiji but I pretty much feel like I rescued 5 as well as their mother cat by educating the seller.

The seller seems very nice and understanding and I can only take her word for it since you don't know how she is when she is not talking to me but she seems genuinely nice and appreciative and that makes me happy to help and contribute.
I say, you are thinking and reacting in a very sound and good way. Im so glad reading your post!

There are many ways of doing good, of helping out. Yours is one of the best.
I do also like your thinking. Taking advices, and not following them blindly and literally, but doing your best for interpretations. You are the pilot, you must choose the best route, and the safest landing place....

Really exemplary!!!

Many hugs!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all thank you for your response.

Let me start by saying that you TOTALLY misunderstood e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g and if you're not one of those who really helped me when I just got on this forum about a month ago, you should update yourself by checking out my posts. I feel like you might have been there though so this is confusing...

I had no idea right from left when I purchased the kitten (more like the promise of the kitten when it's ready). Then I didn't want to give up on it knowing the seller is not very knowledgeable and busted my a** studying and researching as much as possible and with all my hard work and the amazing help I received on this forum, I managed to educate the seller on proper kitten care (no where as much as you probably know but more than what we both knew, especially what she knew).

This already happened. Kittens were born, nothing I could do to change that fact. I paid for one, having very little knowledge on the best methods of acquiring a kitten/cat. I knew they are technically at risk so really I feel like I did do a noble thing by spending money out my own pocket to keep them healthy and happy as well as the mother cat.

When I said NOVELTY I meant if it makes ME feel any better that I am paying HUNDREDS of dollars more for a kitten, at least I am lucky to see it grow (I am just worried it might get hurt in the process but like many here said, kittens are born in barns with no care and turn out fine and she loves them so they will be fine too, god willing and with my intervention because I DO CARE)

I think you approached this totally misinformed but I get where you probably got all confused. Please read my first threads/posts and maybe you'll know my story. I got a lot of support from everyone here.
You are correct. I do apologize for being out of the loop on this one. Trying to help after 16hr shifts due to covid might not be the best time for me to try reading and comprehension. Lol, again, I do apologize for not having informed myself fully before answering.

Mr_Kitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A quick first reaction before I read the rest: Yes, momma usually takes care of the wastes. So its quite common an average owner never sees much until its time for them to wean. In fact, poop and pee is typical questions just for rescuers and for caretakers of orphans...
Although it still wise to change the bedding now and then...
Thank you this REALLY clears stuff up considering it's what everyone else was saying. So weird. CATS ARE SO INTERESTING.

I say, you are thinking and reacting in a very sound and good way. Im so glad reading your post!

There are many ways of doing good, of helping out. Yours is one of the best.
I do also like your thinking. Taking advices, and not following them blindly and literally, but doing your best for interpretations. You are the pilot, you must choose the best route, and the safest landing place....

Really exemplary!!!

Many hugs!
Thank you very much. I did not wanna act all high and mighty but I honestly SAVED those kittens and mother cat and educated the owner/seller and looks like she is grateful (she could also hate my guts and just act like she is happy but I think she is genuinely grateful).

Yes I am shocked I had the courage to not follow the advice on here blindly as you are all WAY more knowledgeable an experienced in the matter but I feel like with some stuff I still can, considering it is based on more research.

Thank you for reassuring me!

You are correct. I do apologize for being out of the loop on this one. Trying to help after 16hr shifts due to covid might not be the best time for me to try reading and comprehension. Lol, again, I do apologize for not having informed myself fully before answering.
I am so glad we came to an understanding. Everyone here is so nice and I am happy you know my intentions now. I won't lie... I had the whole becoming-a-new-parent fear and thought to myself WAIT MAYBE I DON'T WANT IT or had thoughts of selling it in some cases but they were all irrational and just fears due to being so lost in all this information. I know I am really looking forward to my kitten and I invested so much time and money in this process already. Considering the way I chose to purchase it.

I am glad there are people like you on here who will stick their neck out for these precious animals. Sure, I can get a cat and give it a super basic life and the cat will most likely be okay but the fact they're resilient and adaptable earned them the same dangerous spot as the hermit crabs who need a lot more care but are sold as a novelty pet...

Cats will survive a lot better than a hermit crab obviously but what I am trying to say is that the fact you CAN do the absolute minimum does not mean you should.