Kitten Not Peeing In Litter Box

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! Just a few weeks ago I had posted an issue about my 4 month old kitten not pooping in his box that problem has thankfully been solved but he still wont pee in his box I lift him up every time i see he is about to go and put him in the box but occasionally he'll jump back out and just not go. I have tried using different litter, open litter boxes and closed ones and have also put multiple litter boxes around the house but he still wont pee in the box itself. Any help will be appreciated thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! What stopped your kitten from pooping outside the box? Has he ever used the box for peeing?

It is possible that he may be going thru hormonal changes as I am guessing he has not yet been neutered? The only other thing that comes to mind is a UTI or crystals in his bladder, which can make a cat not like to use the litter box because they correlate the pain/uncomfortableness of peeing with actual box itself. It can take a while for crystals or a UTI to affect other aspects of their behavior such as eating/drinking less, playing less, sleeping more, so don't rule it out just because you don't see other changes.

Hopefully, other members on this site will soon read your post and can offer some more information to help you with other possible causes of his aversion to pee in a litter box.

miss ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! Just a few weeks ago I had posted an issue about my 4 month old kitten not pooping in his box that problem has thankfully been solved but he still wont pee in his box I lift him up every time i see he is about to go and put him in the box but occasionally he'll jump back out and just not go. I have tried using different litter, open litter boxes and closed ones and have also put multiple litter boxes around the house but he still wont pee in the box itself. Any help will be appreciated thank you!
Hi don't know if this will help but we had similar problems with one of our cats that was eventually diagnosed with severe Urinary Tract problems caused by stress. She would very rarely use her litter tray preferring to spray in the kitchen, usually against power sockets (that's another story). I would definitely get him checked out with a vet to see if he has crystals as they can cause a blockage which can be fatal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every time I would see he is about to go poop i would quickly put him in the box, i try to do the same thing when he goes to pee but by the time i get to him he is finished. He has not yet been e do you think neutering him would solve the problem of him not urinating in his box?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He has not yet been e do you think neutering him would solve the problem of him not urinating in his box?
I am not sure. I know they might spray when they get to that age, but just typical peeing, someone else here with more experience on that issue will need to confirm that.

But, I will tell you, as a general rule of thumb, eliminating medical issues is usually the first step. If he is not spraying, but just peeing, you could also call your vet and ask if that behavior might also be a result of him maturing.

If you can catch his pee in a sterile container - or get a kit from the vet - you can also take it to the vet and have it tested and cultured. That would rule out (or confirm) a UTI. And, if no UTI but they see crystals, they might recommend a urinary health food to see if that stops crystals from forming. If they would see crystals, it would be something they would want to at least monitor over time.

If you didn't know already, crystal formation in males is a little more worrisome than in females simply because of their physical makeup - their urethra can get blocked much easier.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he (did he) he ever pee in the litter box? When he pees elsewhere, is it just little amounts? Or emptying his bladder? Has he been to the vet at all during this time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ir98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he (did he) he ever pee in the litter box? When he pees elsewhere, is it just little amounts? Or emptying his bladder? Has he been to the vet at all during this time?
he does occasionally pee in his box but its only a few times and when he does pee elsewhere its him emptying his bladder he hasn't been to the vet yet but i will be taking him soon

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll reiterate to eliminate any medical issues. On the off chance that it is behavioral, you can also try adding an additional box (if you don't have one already). Some cats are picky and like to have separate boxes to go #1 and #2 in.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When all medical issues are ruled out, ask your vet please. I do not know the answer. I did have a male kitten who liked to make little puddles all over the house.
He knew where his litter box was. He had another litter box. He did this to do it I guess.
I eventually, rehomed him because I was tired of cleaning it up.