Kitten Not Having Any Bowel Movements

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, first time cat owner here. I have a 8 week kitten. Came home last night but has not peed or pooped. Seems to be eating and drinking well and no signs of distress. A little shy but has been exploring it's new home well. Showed him the litter tray several times but he just jumps out. Should I be worried?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. The seller said he was litter trained and no accidents so far. Just worried as no pee at all which doesn't feel normal. I'll check out the article. Thanks again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you confine the kitten to a safe room with a litter box, food and water, and toys for a couple of days? That way you know theckitten is using the box and not going under your bed or something.

8 weeks is awfully young for a kitten to be away from mom. 12 weeks is more ideal. Was the seller a "backyard breeder" or just had an accident unexpected litter?

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure about the seller. Was private. She had a pair of cats who gave birth to a litter of 5. But anyway great stuff he pooped and peed!!! Just went to the tray and did its business with no fuss. I was so happy to see poo! Lol. Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am a newbie so I'm sure I will be seeking your help again very soon.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can you confine the kitten to a safe room with a litter box, food and water, and toys for a couple of days? That way you know theckitten is using the box and not going under your bed or something.

8 weeks is awfully young for a kitten to be away from mom. 12 weeks is more ideal. Was the seller a "backyard breeder" or just had an accident unexpected litter?
Just FYI (and I realize this isn't the case for the OP), most rescues and shelters in my area (DC/Baltimore, so a major metropolitan area) adopt kittens out around 8 weeks. I'm aware that it's not ideal, but someone doesn't have to go to a backyard breeder to get a kitten that young, especially if the kitten is motherless, like mine were -- found at 1 day old and raised by a human foster mom through a rescue.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did buy him from a family who had an adult Male and female living with. Dont know the background of the seller. She didnt exactly furnish us with a lot of details. No info on what she used to deflea....nothing on food given so far or type of litter used....as noobs we didnt know what to ask tbh. Is there anything we should look out for. I took him to vets today to be safe and they couldn't spot anything wrong. Just asked what was used to deflea to decide on deworming treatment but we couldn't say. The seller has not responded to our text when we asked.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did buy him from a family who had an adult Male and female living with. Dont know the background of the seller. She didnt exactly furnish us with a lot of details. No info on what she used to deflea....nothing on food given so far or type of litter used....as noobs we didnt know what to ask tbh. Is there anything we should look out for. I took him to vets today to be safe and they couldn't spot anything wrong. Just asked what was used to deflea to decide on deworming treatment but we couldn't say. The seller has not responded to our text when we asked.
Wow. Yes, this one sounds like a backyard breeder... (But my point about shelters/rescues stands.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given all that information above, the kitten needs the standard testing for various diseases and appropriate vaccinations. Is that being planned soon with the vet? And, assuming the seller doesn't bother to ever respond, ask the vet how/when to approach deworming/etc.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had vaccination today. The vet checked his lungs with a stethoscope and completed a physical check. No blood tests. Is this adequate? Seller just got back to us re what defleaing treatment was used so maybe she was just busy and I got paranoid

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought that vets checked for FeLV and FIV before giving vaccinations, but I could be wrong - and maybe not all do and location/country might also be a factor in that.

I doubt that it would be standard to do blood tests on such a young kitten, unless there was a specific reason to.

Hoped vet checked his ears (mites, etc.) and teeth as well. The teeth are something that usually are looked at fairly routinely just to check normal baby tooth loss/adult teeth development, so that will likely happen later.

Glad to hear the seller responded!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought that vets checked for FeLV and FIV before giving vaccinations, but I could be wrong - and maybe not all do and location/country might also be a factor in that.

I doubt that it would be standard to do blood tests on such a young kitten, unless there was a specific reason to.

Hoped vet checked his ears (mites, etc.) and teeth as well. The teeth are something that usually are looked at fairly routinely just to check normal baby tooth loss/adult teeth development, so that will likely happen later.

Glad to hear the seller responded!
Yeah, my vet never did any blood tests on our rescue kittens, nor did the rescue. They just got their vaccinations and had physicals.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did check the teeth ears eyes paws and felt around the stomach. We took out a care plan for £10 a month for regular defleaing, deworming and vaccinations when needed. I am in London so assume this is normal procedure here. It's a chain vets that operate from the petsathome stores so they are national.