Kitten Not Having Any Bowel Movements

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had vaccination today. The vet checked his lungs with a stethoscope and completed a physical check. No blood tests. Is this adequate? Seller just got back to us re what defleaing treatment was used so maybe she was just busy and I got paranoid
I have always known that newly adopted kittens shouldn't get their vaccination as soon as they arrive at the new home.
The tip I knew was to wait at least 10 days to make the new kitten adapt and settle in the new environment. The stress of rehoming could weaken their immune system and make a vaccine a little risky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bugger. We told the vet we only just got him. They didnt mention the above. Too late now. Hope he will be ok. Think the next one is in three months.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bugger. We told the vet we only just got him. They didnt mention the above. Too late now. Hope he will be ok. Think the next one is in three months.
I think since he has adapted pretty well so far (despite the short time), you are OK. Especially, if he isn't acting any differently now after his vet visit. Don't worry.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, he seems a confident chap which was needed because my boy is quite excitable around him....in general really lol. How long do you guys think we should wait before we give him the freedom of the whole house? At the mo hes confined to my living room and we take him upstairs to the bedroom when its bedtime. Litter trays in both of course as well as a water bowl.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is so young. And from what I understand Thunder is not really having any adaptation issues at this point, correct? I think you could introduce him to other rooms, one at a time under your supervision, but continue the rest of your current routine - back to the living room and then on to bed at night. Especially, if you want to train him to go to bed when you do and stay in a specific room at night. Eventually he can run free, but after you test out how he responds/reacts to other rooms. And, again, I wouldn't let him free at night at all until he is much older.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Early days I suppose but no signs of distress. Adapting better than i expected. Ok I think I will let him scout around one more room every few days with us there and then put him back in the living room. Are we talking months or weeks before allowing a totally free reign?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry keep on about this guys, just want to make sure our little fella is fine. Today he has had a couple of wees in his tray but no poo. So it's been about 26 hours since the last poop. Is this a concern? He is eating new kitten food so maybe this is slowing his system whilst he gets used to it? I just dont know!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may have to try the technique in the article I previously provided to you to see if he will poop that way. Or, put a dab of butter/margarine on your finger (or, his paw) to see if that will help him have a bowel movement.

There are some cats that don't go every day, so that may turn out to be the case with Oliver - although at this age, I am not sure that would apply.

In addition to what Furballsmom Furballsmom has suggested, how much/often are you feeding him? Is he getting enough to eat? At his age, he should be allowed to eat all he wants (though, in his case, mostly wet at regular feedings, and dry for grazing as needed).

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are giving a pouch of wet food every day, split into two portions, morning and night. He also has a handful of dry kitten food. I'll try and give him a bum massage and wipe his bottom with a wet tissue as suggested in the article.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am quoting this from another page on the same site as the one Furballsmom Furballsmom posted to you:

Kittens over 8 weeks of age should be given a minimum of 3 filling meals each day, including right before bed and first thing in the morning. Once a kitten is 9 months old, it is appropriate to start transitioning toward an adult feeding schedule. At 12 months old, the kitten can graduate to an adult cat food and an adult cat feeding schedule.

Also, a couple of web site connections about calories/food consumption:

What to Feed a Kitten 8 Weeks Old

Correct Amounts of Food for Adult Cats & Kittens

And, please keep us posted!!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. Never thought faeces could make me so happy.
LOL, welcome to the Wonderful World of CATS! And you're in excellent company. I tell people that we are like the US company, Farmer's Insurance. Their slogan is "We know a lot of things because we've seen a lot of things. I'm embedding a commercial of theirs, just because they are so darned clever!

And you should (and will, I hope) see us when Kitten Season is in full swing...otherwise rational adults pouring over photos of kitten fannies, attempting (sometimes in vain) to determine if they are males or females! AND ENJOYING EVERY MOMENT OF IT!

Hi! No worries :)

Is it kibble/dry? Can you, if you aren't already give him a little Kitten Milk Replacer, Pedialyte or kitten glop to add some moisture to his system?
Kitten-Rescue.com

Maybe there's something here;
Bathroom Business — Kitten Lady
I see that it is wet...IF he doesn't go today, try the technique above, and if that doesn't work, call your vet. He'll be OK for 48 hours, and some cats only go every other day, but beyond that, you want to get his doctor involved.

Snoop81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok. Gave his bum a wipe and placed in the litter tray. He just jumped straight out.
We gonna just give the wet food for now and leave the dry. Hopefully he goes tonight or first thing in the morning. Fingers crossed.