kitten not gaining weight

aurora taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat just gave birth 14 days ago to four kitten, three of them are gaining weight really well they are all around 11oz. but i have one small one who was gaining weight at first and now is not. he has been 8oz for the last two days and today hes very limp and not himself. i am very worried i have started him on a kitten formula but he will barley take any of it as of now he wont eat gain weight or really do anything and im very worried should i keep trying to feed him or take him to the vet

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd take him to the vet just to be safe. When it comes to kittens, it could be numerous things causing him to not gain weight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aurora taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to take the three bigger ones out for 15 minutes so mama could feed the little one im going to try this 4 or 5 times a day and see if it makes any difference if not i will take him and mom right to the vet as this means hes eating lots and not gaining anything witch could mean something else

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good idea! He may be getting pushed off the best nipples by his bigger siblings. I hope he turns the corner soon with time alone to eat. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aurora taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely! Yes i hope he comes around he is the smallest one and ill probably end up keeping him with all the time trying to bottle feed him he has really grown on me hopefully we will see him up to 9 oz tomorrow

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had to take the three bigger ones out for 15 minutes so mama could feed the little one im going to try this 4 or 5 times a day and see if it makes any difference if not i will take him and mom right to the vet as this means hes eating lots and not gaining anything witch could mean something else
Yes, this is a very good trick! And with any luck, may be as simply as this. The biggies forced him off from the best nipples, and caused him to de facto starvation.

If you need, you can also try with a tiny droplet of white caro syrup on his gum. It gives some quick energhy.

Otherwise, a vet visit is in order. The problem is, many vets arent knowleable about small, weak kittens. If the kitten is visibly hurt or sick with a visible problem, they all are good enough, but many vets are just clueless with unclear cases or weak kittens.
But visiting a kitten knowleable vet pays off better. :) If nothing else, you will get good and sound advices and guidance.