Kitten not feeling well

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have 10 week old kitten Romeo who was fine when I left for work this morning (eating, playing with my other kitten). We do know that both kittens have upper respiratory infections bc we acquired them from a shelter and vet put both on Lysine. My other kitten seems to be doing much better- he’s also 2 weeks older. Last night Romeo seemed like he was really stuffed up but he was still playing and eating. I gave them both Homepet feline nasal decongestant mixed in with food this morning which I thought seemed to be helping them. (They’ve been getting for about a week now.). Just now when I got home from work I immediately knew something was wrong bc Romeo didn’t come flying down the stairs with his brother. And I was right. He’s lethargic, not eating, standing still staring down. I’m currently holding him and he’s curled up in my arms not moving. Should I call vet tonight or is this something I should wait until the morning to address? If it’s the infection, vet has told me both kittens need to build up immune system and too young for antibiotics. Unsure if it’s something else, though? My husband seems to think it may be infection hitting Romeo harder than my other kitten. 🐾 so sad for my little guy. 😕

Murphington1231

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor Romeo :( I'm so sorry. So hard to see our furbabies like that.
I would say call the vet tonight. Is he eating or drinking at all?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Romeo :( I'm so sorry. So hard to see our furbabies like that.
I would say call the vet tonight. Is he eating or drinking at all?
When I gave them their wet food, he took a few bites but that’s it. I haven’t seen him drink tonight yet. I’ve only been home for about an hour and a half, though. I can def tell he’s still stuffed up when he breathes. I’m going to try to see if he’s better overnight. He just got up and moved next to me on the couch but his brother is also snoozing, as well. I’ll call vet first thing tomorrow if he still is the same in the morning. They wake us up at 4am so I’ll know early if something is wrong.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I hope Romeo is doing better! Another thing you can try is running very hot water in a closed bathroom to build up steam, and then take Romeo in there and sit with him - maybe for 5-10 minutes. A lot of folks have had success with helping their cats clear some of the congestion with the steam. You can do this a number of times a day, if you see it helps him.

Also, I would question your vet about the antibiotics. I have known kittens that were given antibiotics at an age younger than yours.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I hope Romeo is doing better! Another thing you can try is running very hot water in a closed bathroom to build up steam, and then take Romeo in there and sit with him - maybe for 5-10 minutes. A lot of folks have had success with helping their cats clear some of the congestion with the steam. You can do this a number of times a day, if you see it helps him.

Also, I would question your vet about the antibiotics. I have known kittens that were given antibiotics at an age younger than yours.
Hi!! So update is that he seems to be doing better today. He was up purring like normal all over my head in the middle of the night! 🙃 He also ate a lot of dry food before bed and drank a ton of water! This morning he ate a decent amount of wet food, so I’m happy today that he’s seems to be doing better. He’s not 100%—wants to play with the other kitten but not enough in him to go all out. He’s been a cute little guy cuddling all morning. They go back to vet Friday for boosters so hopefully he’ll be ok until then but if he’s still not himself I’ll go sooner.
I will def mention to vet that maybe antibiotics are needed, but I haven’t heard any sneezes today. He also seems to be breathing a little easier. I have taken them in the bathroom with me while showering to help with stuffy noses!! I thought I was crazy for doing it but I’ve seen it mentioned a few times on the site. 🤣
Thank you for the input!! 🐾😊