kitten not eating much or drinking water after spraining her leg

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi I have a 7 week old kitten and three days ago I took her to the vet an they said she sprained her leg.she stopped eating an drinking so I was hand feeding her an making sure he has water so she don't get dehydrated.almost four days have passed an shes not laying around shes now playing an running but shes so skinny an she started eating but not very much an I still have to give her water by a baby spoon.what I wanna know is she coming around an does it sound like shes gonna start eating an drinking right again.she goes to liter box an don't have any problem's but I wanna know if she will go back to her old self,because she didn't stop eating an drinking until she hurt her leg. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

hi I have a 7 week old kitten and three days ago I took her to the vet an they said she sprained her leg.she stopped eating an drinking so I was hand feeding her an making sure he has water so she don't get dehydrated.almost four days have passed an shes not laying around shes now playing an running but shes so skinny an she started eating but not very much an I still have to give her water by a baby spoon.what I wanna know is she coming around an does it sound like shes gonna start eating an drinking right again.she goes to liter box an don't have any problem's but I wanna know if she will go back to her old self,because she didn't stop eating an drinking until she hurt her leg. 
She will surely be better with time. But its wise you ARE helping her some, with hand feeding and enticing to eat more  You can use some kmr or goats milk, as it is easy to digest and is good nourishment, even if it sounds alike you give her more normal cat food now.  "Return to the basics" for awhile.  Also, she is still pretty young - kittens with momma usually do still nurse some from her.

Be sure she is warm and comfortable.

She has probably still some pains, that is why she hasnt the same appetite...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try to entice her with some really yummy things to a cat, like tuna, canned mackerel, or one of my cats favorites, Gerber jarred baby food, the meat variety. My cats have always loved boiled chicken and the broth too, an inexpensive way to get a lot of food when you can buy hindquarters and cheaper cuts. As long as she is eating that is a good sign, the starting to play is a good sign too. All the luck! 

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
A 7-week old kitten who is not eating is a problem and you should probably speak to your vet again to get guidance.   I am not clear by what the actual diagnosis of your kitten is, but a "sprained leg" should not cause a decrease in appetite in and of itself.  Pain could be an issue, so if the kitten is not on pain control that should be considered. But honestly, muscle sprains should not be painful for more than a few days.  So if your kitten has not bounced back yet, I strongly advise you to seek your vet's opinion and have your kitten re-evaluated ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​i took her to the vet today an they gave me some yellow liquid for parasites.they said almost all kittens are born with some parasite due to milking from their mother.i hope this brings her around.the vet also gave me a can of royal canin kitten development food an a syringe so I watered it down an gave her some but she didn't care for it.im hoping it was just a parasite that was bugging her an causing her not to eat an I'm hoping once the medicine kicks in she will start eating again an her dirreahha will be gone. does anyone know how long it takes for the worm yellow medicine to work.im really starting to worry about her.

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
new update on my kitten meeko.shes coming around an starting to fatten up an no more diarrhea an shes eating better.checkup at vet for her tomorrow

Last edited:

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​shes drinking water but that's it an when she uses liter box she has dirreahha an this morning it had little trace of blood but after she took her medicine for any parasites an I fed her can food called royal canin kitten development I notice tonight when she went to liter box no blood this time.i didn't see worms but vet said sometimes u cant see them but that could be reason for blood an dirreahha.but no blood anymore so I take it that's a good sign an maybe the medicine is working but I wish she would eat.how long does it take for worm medicine to work

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well after my 7 week old kitten was sick I decided to stay up all night.havent went to bed yet.lastnight my kitten was puking an had diarrhea an just layed down so I began to really worry an when she wouldn't even drink water I took matters into my own hands since the vet was closed an I was afraid she wouldn't make it threw the night.so I went online an looked up best home remedy for sick kittens.i saw the site that said take a chicken an boil it til it falls off the bone.no spices just water an alittle acv.the vinegar brings out all the nutrients the kitten needs .then let the chicken soup go warm an just give kitten the broth an pieces of chicken too if u want.my kitten wouldn't take the broth or chicken an she was getting weaker an weaker so I took the syringe an I fed her a 1/4 cup of broth then I waited a few hrs to make sure she kept it down then I gave her another 1/4 cup by using a syringe an I waited two hrs again an she didn't get sick so just now I gave her one more 1/4 cup of warm broth by syringe an she is up running playing with my big cat an she still has diarrhea but just a tiny bit an its not runny like water.she hasn't been sick since I gave her the chicken broth but ive been up all night just to keep checking on her.looks like shes coming around slowly an the chicken broth is good to give her it has all the nutrients an its good to have when she wont drink water.at least she is still getting lots of fluids with the broth.shes laying beside me purring away.maybe that's a good sign.  I will keep u all posted on how shes doing.shes still very skinny an I don't like that one bit but one day at a time is all I can do.

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​my kitten is at the vet now im just waiting for the call to see what the problem was.scary waiting for that call  

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
You have her at the right place, your veterinarian will give the best guidance. 

I wish your kitten and you the best.

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
​well the vet kept my kitten over night on tues beause she wasnt eating good or drinking water.they did lots of test an said her tummy was sore an they took xrays an blood work an didn't see anything serious but they said she has some bacteria in her belly an that can make her sore an give her diarrhea.they gave her some pain meds an she started eating a little but not much to put weight on.they gave her some nutrition paste an that helped a bit an I brought her home today an I have her meds an nutrition paste if she wont eat..now for some good news I checked an she still has diarrhea but not runny an no blood an she ate a tiny bit so I gave her some food by spoon an this time she didn't spit it out an she drank water on her own.then she played with other cat an now shes sleepin on my shoulder lol I'm keeping an eye on her an if anything happens the vet is 5 min away.she isn't too bad thou but be glad when she can eat on her own an gain weight.maybe when bacteria is out of her she will feel better.
pic before she got sick.my meeko baby

Last edited:

34tanya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

​well my kitten is getting better an getting fatter.shes eating better an showing progress since she was at the vet few days ago.its looking good for her but I hope her sore throat goes away an she keeps eating better.i have her eating chicken salmon in gravy cat food an she is eating on her own.i also give her have a lysine treat everyday to boost her immune system.so far so good