Kitten No Longer Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I rescued a six week old kitten from a shelter. He had fleas and no vaccines. He was playing and running around and I started to notice something wrong. He stopped using his rear leg three days ago, and now it is swollen to twice the size and hangs limp. The actual paw on the swollen leg is tiny compared to his other leg. He has lost all ability to walk including front legs/arms. He is sleeping now, and I have given him a dose of antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

He jumped off my two foot bed onto the carpet several times, but does not have any broken bones.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my kitten? He is about 7 weeks old now.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I know you said that he doesn’t have any broken bones, but did the vet take an x-ray of his leg to be sure? It could also be a possibility that he sprained or strained something.

EDIT: sorry, I edited my original post around the same time that you responded. Thanks for clarifying that he had an x-ray!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes - no broken bones. The kitten had a temperature today, and he is on amoxicillin. He doesn't want to eat anymore, and is currently sleeping.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would that cause him to get an infection that spread to all of his other legs?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, get a second opinion. This is an emergency!

If he is not eating, he needs subq fluids for hydration.

The swollen leg may require an anti-inflammatory.

He may have calici virus, which can be overcome with proper care and treatment. Please ask a new vet about it.

Here is a link:

Feline Calicivirus Infection

Please see a new vet right away for emergency treatment, and let us know what they say.

vickchick2006 vickchick2006

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I will definitely take him in for a second opinion. He came from a rescue that had about 50 cats. He was sneezing a lot when I first got him and had tiny reoccuring eye boogies. I read about Feline Calicivirus Infection and he definitely has symptoms. I will update everyone after we go to a vet for second opinion. I really appreciate everyone's help.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Baby Kitty: He is eating wet kitten food, little pieces of chicken, and taking his antibiotics twice a day. His temperature is gone, and he is not as lethargic. He was extremely affectionate today, purred whenever I touched him, and very cuddly. His swelling seems to be going down, and he is attempting to walk (which is a great sign), but I am keeping him in his kitty condo so he doesn't use the leg. I think he is responding well to the antibiotics and they are helping.

His swollen leg was not getting any blood flow to the feet, so one foot is half the size of the other foot. I am not sure if this will be permanent or if the leg will start to grow once all swelling is gone. If anyone has had a similar situation, please let me know what I can do to provide physical therapy once he is a bit stronger.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can probably carefully and gently massage his limbs, especielly the swollen parts. Particularly as you notice he doesnt gets enough with blood to the rest of the legs because of the swelling inbetween.

If he gets lethargic again, give him pedialyte, or other glucose sugar solutions.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you should start gentle massage to that leg and paw to stimulate blood flow.

It’s great he’s feeling better now. Using the leg would probably be good for him.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank goodness everyone recommended getting a second opinion. We went to a different vet today, and he ended up lancing two massive abscesses on Baby Kitty's swollen leg. His leg is dislocated, and he will need surgery next week. My guess is another kitten bit him before I got him, and it got infected. The reason for the dislocated leg remains a mystery.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Kitty is in amazing spirits though. Eating, purring, cuddling... he is a fighter for sure. The vet was amazed that he wasn't sick and not eating from the trauma and abscesses.

vickchick2006

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby Kitty passed away on Tuesday. He became septic from the abscesses. I am devastated.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oy Ve! This is horrible! Life is so fragile... Lets be grateful for every day we do live on...
RIP little one! You were loved, you were taken care of. Your soul, and yours caretakers, may thus be in peace.

Warm hugs!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Such a huge disappointment - my heart cries for this sad outcome. The losses are never easy....
Godspeed, Little Kitty! You obviously enjoyed knowing what it is to love and to be loved....real, true love. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Status
Not open for further replies.