Kitten Neutered Yesterday, Need Advice

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you in advance for all advice and tips given.

My kitten was neutered yesterday. Of course it was a stressful day for him. My husband dropped him off at 8:30 AM, and the vet called around 1:30 PM and let us know we could pick him up at 3:30. He is only 4 1/2 months old, and he is very affectionate. Being away that long really freaked him out.

My vet doesn’t give acollar unless she sees the kitten licking but I asked for one anyway.
With the pandemic currently going on, we can’t go inside the vet. A vet tech comes out to talk to us.

Basically the vet tech said to limit my kittens activities for 10 days. No jumping, no climbing, no playing. ( How is this even possible, he’s a cat! ) He told me my kitten would probably sleep the rest of the day and not eat much.

Well, my kitten came home and was his crazy little self trying to jump on the bed, climb things, wrestle. He was being a cat.

So I put him in our spare room which is empty.

He was also starving. I fed him, he ate it all, he didn’t vomit. He starting licking his scrotum so I put the e collar on him and he basically was trying to commit suicide.

He was thrashing his body into the wall, trying to run into the wall, rolling around, acting nuts.

This didn’t stop, so I took it off because clearly it’s not safe for an animal that just had surgery to be running full speed into a wall.

The room I have him locked up in his litter, cat fountain, and cat bed. No toys. I feel like it’s a jail cell.

I checked his incision this morning and it looked fine, no blood or swelling. He is using his litter, went -# 1 yesterday and today # 1 and 2 today.
Right now he is tolerating being in this room, but I know it won’t last long. The poor thing will go crazy. I would go crazy!

He is used to having his big cat tree in the living room downstairs, and he has a small cat tree outside our bedroom. He is used to my husband and I playing with him, and when we aren’t playing with him he is chasing one of his toys around.

I feel horrible ☹ Luckily with quarantine I can sit with him in here for a majority of the day, but sitting in here makes me realize how much this sucks !

I attached photos of my poor little guy sleeping in his jail cell. He is is usual self / sleep then hyper and crazy. Do I really have to keep him locked up in this room for 10 days? If he leaves the room he will be running all over the house, climbing / jumping on all the furniture.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, ...he is adorable!
He looks like an angel when he's sleeping. lol.
I attached photos of my poor little guy sleeping in his jail cell. He is is usual self / sleep then hyper and crazy. Do I really have to keep him locked up in this room for 10 days? If he leaves the room he will be running all over the house, climbing / jumping on all the furniture.
No, I don't think he needs to be locked in his room for 10 days.
I think they have to tell you that as a precaution, so that he does not over stretch, lick excessively, or further open up the scrotal incisions.

If you can take photos, on a daily basis, and compare them,...or like you are doing...just keep an eye on the incisions and make sure they are healing, with no bleeding, oozing, opening, redness or inflammation, ..then he should be okay.
Neuters actually close up quite quickly, and there are usually no stitches even placed
(My male and female kittens were 5.5 months, and only were sort of sleepy the first day, and back to their usual routines for all the rest. No cones were given, and only pain meds for the female kitten, but she didn't seem to really need them, since she was also eating, playing, sleeping, and doing all her usual stuff.)

Maybe you can just curb his jumping, by playing with him on the floor, or picking him up, at times.
But like you said, it will be like trying to control a whirlwind.
Kitten energy is fast and powerful.

What is your gorgeous kitten's name? Does it go with his personality?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is your gorgeous kitten's name? Does it go with his personality?
Thank you so much ! You have calmed my nerves. I can’t wait till he is healed up completely so he can be his usual self all around the house.
We call him Mags, don’t know how we got that name but it just clicked. We rescued him from a woman who was basically starving him when he was 6 weeks old. He’s been by my side ever since, except for when he is spinning like a tornado around the house 😂

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ! You have calmed my nerves. I can’t wait till he is healed up completely so he can be his usual self all around the house.
We call him Mags, don’t know how we got that name but it just clicked. We rescued him from a woman who was basically starving him when he was 6 weeks old. He’s been by my side ever since, except for when he is spinning like a tornado around the house 😂
Mags is such a cool name. :thumbsup:
Good on you for rescuing him.

I think he will heal quite quickly. The incisions close up fairly fast.
I can't really remember the exact number of days, but I'm thinking around five or less.

Wow, another fantastic and cute photo of Mags. :loveeyes:
So cute how he sleeps with his head turned like that and those back paws in the air. :blush:
Kittens have the most adorable poses.

"He’s been by my side ever since, except for when he is spinning like a tornado around the house 😂 "
Haha. Perhaps when Mags heals, ...you may want another 'tornado partner' to go with Mags. :greenpaw::bluepaw:
I mean having one tornado might be a bit destructive, ...but having two might balance things out.
Just a thought. ;)

He truly is beautiful.

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
What an angel 👼! He’s really precious looking (all babies are, but wait till they wake up lol).
My kitten Lucca was fixed the day before I adopted him and I didn’t know that until I read his information folder they sent me home with! I had a 5mth old kitten and they bonded pretty much immediately. They played, climbed the cat tree and generally did kitten antics. Had I paid attention I would have been more vigilant about his activity level. All that to say he’s probably fine. And your instincts about the cone were correct for your kitten. My female kitten Jemima ripped off the cone in less than an hour. She however, didn’t bounce back like her brother. They’re all different but generally we should be conservative with their activities if possible 😉

Alexus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What an adorable cutie!!!

When I had my two kittens neutered (both boys), they slept the first day they were home and afterwards they were fine. I don't think 10 days of doing nothing (or being limited) is needed. They could even do light jumping (not too high) on the second day and on the third they were doing as they usually did. And I encountered no problem. The cone also isn't needed I think. It was enough for mine to tell them 'no' when they started liking themselves and then distract them a bit. They had no stitches, so I guess the need to lick wasn't too bad.

And please don't lock him into a room. He should be allowed to use the place as usual :)

I hope your little one will be fine again in a couple days ^^

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And please don't lock him into a room. He should be allowed to use the place as usual :)

I hope your little one will be fine again in a couple days ^^
Thank you so much ! That’s just want I needed to hear. I just don’t want him to get hurt but I think your right , he needs full house access.

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an angel 👼! He’s really precious looking (all babies are, but wait till they wake up lol).
My kitten Lucca was fixed the day before I adopted him and I didn’t know that until I read his information folder they sent me home with! I had a 5mth old kitten and they bonded pretty much immediately.
oh wow! And he was fine ! Thank you! I love this little guy so much - I worry. Thank you for telling me this ! Gives me peace of mind !

Mmatos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mags is such a cool name. :thumbsup:
Good on you for rescuing him.

I think he will heal quite quickly. The incisions close up fairly fast.
I can't really remember the exact number of days, but I'm thinking around five or less.

Wow, another fantastic and cute photo of Mags. :loveeyes:
So cute how he sleeps with his head turned like that and those back paws in the air. :blush:
Kittens have the most adorable poses.

"He’s been by my side ever since, except for when he is spinning like a tornado around the house 😂 "
Haha. Perhaps when Mags heals, ...you may want another 'tornado partner' to go with Mags. :greenpaw::bluepaw:
I mean having one tornado might be a bit destructive, ...but having two might balance things out.
Just a thought. ;)

He truly is beautiful.
You are a sweetheart ! I want to see pics of your fur baby ! 😍

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He is beautiful, lucky you. Neutering is a fairly straightforward procedure and doesnt usually need stitches. I would think that after a few days he will be fine to be let out of jail, just keep an eye on the area. If you have any doubts you could send photos of the area to your vet to put your mind at rest. Enjoy him.