Kitten Neuter?

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My four or five month old male kitten will be neutered on Tuesday, and I have had kittens neutered in the past at an early age, but I think they were older. A few weeks ago, my vet said Grayson would be ready to neuter, so I scheduled the appt. He still seems so young and little. I've had him since October, so he may have been four-seven weeks at that time. I just wonder if this is the right decision or if I should wait. I made the mistake of not getting an older male kitten in for a neuter sooner, and even after his surgery, he continues to spray every now and then.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be neutered from 8 weeks on/as soon as they reach 1kg. All current research points to neutering early being beneficial as it’s an easier surgery, with no negative effects, and potentially some positive ones, as there’s a correlation between ESN and lower risk of degenerative joint disease.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My vet does all kittens at 4 months and I have had most done at that age.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t wait any longer. The sooner the better, kittens bounce back so fast.

As breeders our kittens are been done at 10-12 weeks, never any problems. They come home like nothing has happened.
As said above so long as they weigh 1kg/2lbs (which is generally around 8 weeks) they are fine to be done.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always worry about my own cats/kittens and fosters being far too young to be neutered. Many years ago we used to wait till they were 9 or 10 months old, but, thanks to more sophisticated techniques, it is perfectly safe even for females to be neutered at 5 months. In the case of TNR, feral kittens are often neutered even earlier before being returned to the location where they were found.
As long as your vet is happy about performing the operation on your kitten, I wouldn't worry about him being too young. It is best to get it over - he will recover very quickly - just try not to worry. I have survived taking countless cats and kittens to the vet to be neutered even though I am always worried about them being too young, too small, too weak ........ and they all survived, too. :)