Kitten Nail Splitting

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I'm worried about one of my kitten's claws. He's about 8 months old and I've only started noticing this recently. I noticed last week his "thumb" on one side was peeling pretty badly and very waxy so I cleaned off the outer layers and wax only to find another large piece on the underside of the nail, I touched it lightly and my kitten meowed - I'm thinking it was a part of the quick but it didn't seem to be attached to the rest of his nail. 

I find fuzz stuck in splits in his claws pretty often, when I pulled one out tonight - it looks a little dirty as if maybe a small bit of blood got onto it. I looked closer at the claw and it seemed more red and bloody than the quick usually looks - there's no wet blood but I'm still a little worried. 

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs to have his nails trimmed regularly.  If you see nails sloughing off, that's the nail sheath and those fall off as part of the normal scratching process. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kayzee49

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We do cut his nails regularly, and this is beyond the nail that's sloughing off, it's actually bleeding from the splits in his nails. That's my main concern.