Kitten mouth foaming

crowen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I've been house sitting a couple month old kitten the past two weeks. She's been fine and very kitten-like the entire while. Her owners get back today, so I was going about the house cleaning up and gathering my stuff. I noticed she was struggling with something in her mouth, and when I took a closer look she appeared to have eaten soap? That's the only similarity I can make. She had a strange soapy substance all round her mouth and was making mouth gestures as if she was trying to get a foul taste out. Nothing I cleaned was with soap - just water.

I immediately picked her up and washed her face / opened her mouth and had a look, but I couldn't see anything and she seemed all right. Once I put her back down, though, she was still making these mouth gestures. I came back to her a few minutes later and she was all soapy around her mouth again. 

What could have caused this? It was very unfun for her. She was hyper prior to this incident, but became very somber immediately after. She's currently curled up on my lap half sleeping, which is only of note because it's the first time in the entire two weeks that she's come to lay on my lap at all. Every once in a while she gives a small twitch. Not sure if dreaming or not feeling well.

I found two drops of this foamy soap at the bottom of the stairs and cleaned it up. I assumed it came from her mouth before I caught it.  Later I found a small pool of it in the tub. Could she have lapped up soap from the tub and spat it up? Or maybe just threw up there?

I don't know if I should be worried or if I'm just over reacting because she isn't mine :(

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat did that while she was pregnant. Freaked me out. The vet said that she got something that she didn't like the taste of - probably a bug of some sort - in her mouth, and that's what the foam was about. It will stop when the taste is gone. She had absolutely no after-effects of the episode.

That stated, I would watch out that she wasn't poisoned. If she seems sick, call a vet immediately.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Foaming at the mouth can be the sign of an upset belly/nausea.  About a year ago my Noodles scared me badly by throwing up rather violently and then she spent a good amount of time drooling and that was foamy.  I also had one cat "foam" up a liquid medication she had to have once.  

I would keep a close eye on her and bring her to the vet ASAP if she begins to look ill. At the very least; call the vet for advice.  How old is she?  From the picture she looks like she is getting to be an older kitten.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has the kitten has a recent application of any de-flea medication, such as Advantage? Mine will foam at the mouth if they get any in it - which tends to happen if it's applied where they can lick at it, or if they groom another cat that has the stuff on, too - which my cats have a tendency to do. One time BlackJack got some of the stuff in his mouth and started foaming at the mouth and freaking out: it totally freaked ME out till I realized what had happened. At first I thought he was having some kind of seizure and immediately started calling e-vets, but then I realized what had actually happened and calmed down and cleaned his mouth out as best as I could.

. As the others have already stated, it would be a good idea to keep an eye on her, and if she seems ill, get her to an e-vet ASAP. I hope it's nothing serious!