Kitten milk replacement

davybear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Can anyone advise me of a kitten milk replacement available in Kiev for a three week old kitten?
Thanks
David

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,
Can anyone advise me of a kitten milk replacement available in Kiev for a three week old kitten?
Thanks
David
Now, we cant know what is there in Kiev, we dont have many russian nor ukrainian forumists, nor experience from these countries... Even if I can understand some russian if you talk slowly and pronounce distinclty.   :)

If its no big hurry, you can probably get something from online shops.

But if you can get goats milk - it works fine, both as kmr for kittens and as supplement for older cats.  As long as its no funny low fat diet variation, it should be fine.  Ie about 3% fat or slightly more.

Raw goats milk is best, but bottled, cartooned or powdered works OK.

Sheeps milk is probably OK to use, but no  quarantiees given.

We dont recommend cow milk, but if in really pinch, you can try with raw cow milk...  As long as the cow is healthy and the hygiene is good, the digesting of raw milk from a cow of old type, should be better than pasteurized and processed milk, from a cow of modern type - as is the most common in West and USA...

Is that correct, dr Rachel Boltz?

So, to summarize - if you can get hold on goats milk  your luck is made.   :)

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have Amazon in Kiev? I don't know if it is a world wide ordering site or not, but I order a lot of my cat products from there. I hope you can find your kitten replacement  milk, if not, research it on teh internet to see if you can make it from common kitchen products. Bless you fro trying to help that kitten, I wish you luck!

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
A three week old kitten can be weaned if you do not have milk replacer.  You can start with something like watered down meat/rice baby food, or even better kitten wet food with water added.  As I am in the USA, I have always had access to KMR--powdered or liquid is fine and mixing that with the food is the best way to wean.  Goats milk is also ok, cows milk is not ok.  There are many formulas circulating on the internet that are easy to find, they usually involve evaporated milk, yogurt and raw egg yolks. But honestly, I would just start weaning the kitten and not play around with such formulation. Opinions on how to wean are wide spread and no one protocol is right for every kitten.