Kitten Making Hairball Like Noises After Eating

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pip is a healthy seeming and normal behaving 13 or 14 week old kitten. As far as the noises, she doesn't do it all the time. Just a few times so far, and maybe when I waited a little longer before putting down the meal. I mean, I know she is a kitten and she gets fed a lot of times a day, so she shouldn't be desperate ever, but it did seem to happen after she was being a bit wolfish. It just seemed a bit weird -- it went on for 10 or 15 seconds, exactly the way you might expect with a hairball situation. How could moist food cause that, even if eating fast? Or maybe its not really linked to eating fast and that is just something I'm imagining...has only happened 3 or so times that I've heard so far. Never any vomitting so far.

She does not groom the other cat yet, and doesn't excessively groom herself, but its quite possible she is eating carpet fuzz or something. I haven't noticed that, but some of the scratching posts do shed a bit so its possible. But it seems to be linked with food, not with hairballs.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like she might just be eating too quickly and her little tummy is having trouble it it. It could also be something with her esophagus and food not going down exactly how it should (some of which self resolve as cats grow or aren't major issues, just annoyances). Either case, feeding her more smaller meals or slowing her down while eating will probably help.

If it was me, I would just cover all bases with a raised feeder or putting the existing bowl on a stack of books to raise it. That would help position her esophagus better if that is the problem. I would also put a ping pong ball in the bowl or only put down half the food, wait 5 minutes after she's done eating and put down the other half. I would probably try some different food too just make sure it isnt that specific food causing a problem. The problem with my approach is you wouldn't know which is the right solution but it also would cover all potential problems at once. I probably would mention it at the next vet appointment too so the vet can just look her over for any obvious issues.