Kitten longhaired

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a simple...dumb question for me to ask, but my grandma and I have been debating this.
Lets say 2 cats mate. a Short haired tortoise female and a shorthaired black male. Is it possible for a kitten to be longhaired due to a gene from the kittens parent's ancestors?? Thanks!!

elizabeth a.

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are NO dumb questions according to my rules!

It's quite possible from their own genes. Short is dominant to long, so a cat with one shorthair gene paired with a longhair gene will have short hair but pass on the longhair gene to half its offspring. Mated with a similar cat, one-quarter of all kittens will, on average, have long hair. In genetic shorthand, that's
Ll x Ll giving a kitten ratio of 1LL : 2Ll :1ll

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by elizabeth a.
There are NO dumb questions according to my rules!

It's quite possible from their own genes. Short is dominant to long, so a cat with one shorthair gene paired with a longhair gene will have short hair but pass on the longhair gene to half its offspring. Mated with a similar cat, one-quarter of all kittens will, on average, have long hair. In genetic shorthand, that's
Ll x Ll giving a kitten ratio of 1LL : 2Ll :1ll
Yeah! I'm a science lover(wanted to be a geologist since childhood) it's great to know I was right in what I told her. You taught me something too though! Now I know why!! Thanks